Which way to go?

giorgino1

Which way to go?
« on: 24 Apr 2006, 08:25 pm »
Hi Dan

I've been a member of Audiocircle for a number of years and contribute mainly at Ed Schilling's Hornshoppe and recently at Dusty Vawter's CI Audio forum. From time to time, I've lurked here for possible ways forward in system building, but not been sufficiently "serious" to justifiably make use of your time. I am, however, now at a stage where, after a number of changes to my system, am investigating the possibilty of a tube output source component be it a CDP only unit, DAC or a modded "universal" player.

My system to date:
* Speakers: Decware RL3
* Power Amp: FirstWatt F1
* Preamp: Audiozone Transformer pre
* Transport: Audionote CDT2
* DAC: CI Audio VDA2+VAC1, Benchmark DAC1, AcKdAck! V1x.

Speakers, Amp and pre stays but Transport/DAC is up for grabs, hence my query is in 2 parts:

1) Modwright recommendation:
I see my main listening format as Redbook CD with DVD a bonus and SACD a double bonus. What unit can you recommend a good platform for modding? I know you have the Sony 9000ES and the Denon 3900 available as products. Since I have neither units would would need to source them from stratch. Is the newer denon necessarily better?

2) Modding a DAC perchance?
As I live in the UK, I am reluctant to send components with breakable mechanical parts and put my trust in the hands of the courier companies. Ideally, I'd like to deal with a small light DAC at a reduced risk. Are you able to offer a modification service to any of the above units that I already own? The sound I enjoy most is the Benchmark's clarity, imaging but would like to introduce the spacial, warmth, liquid qualities of tubes. If yes, what single box DVD/CDP would you recommend to perform the task of the disc spinner?

Kind regards

George

alphinmike

Re: Which way to go?
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2007, 09:07 pm »
Hi George -I was just browsing the Audio Circle and came across your note.Like you I live in the UK which I guess is fairly unusual for this forum.I have a modified Njoe tjoeb 4000 CDP which I am very pleased with.Mine was modded by Colin Yallop of Chevin Audio who is based in Derby(01332 833158).If you are not already fixed up I suggest you give Colin a call.He fitted fast soft recovery diodes in the power supply and a seperate Clock power supply plus some series regulators from PAUL HYNES to supply key digital components.These mods have improved my CDP and I get better performance than my previous Vinyl based system which was based on a Townsend Rock Reference turntable!
I note you are using Decware speakers.I wonder if you would care to comment on them? I have seen the Decware web site and their Speakers look very interesting and well priced too!

modwright

• Facilitator
    • ModWright Instruments
Re: Which way to go?
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2007, 01:36 am »
Hi, we do mod the 9000ES, 999ES and new Sony 9100ES.  The difficulty is sourcing a 220V unit and sending it to us for modification and I do understand your concern there.

Alan Wright of Vacuum State Electronics also modifies the 9000ES and does a great job.  I believe he is based in Germany and so this may be a more attractive option.

Take care,

Dan