RA8 V.S 2461

Tedp

RA8 V.S 2461
« on: 23 Apr 2006, 08:58 pm »
Hi I am trying to make a decision between the RA8 and 2641 for my mains for a HT system. I do have a decent sub so I'm not as concerned about the bottom end.

I'm am hoping someone could help me decide .. any opinions on which one would me a better speaker? I do have a fairly large room at 12 ft x 28 ft with lots of openings into the rest of the house ...

Also I have read the RA8 can make a decent center speaker ... If I would shorten the speaker so it is symmetrical when laid on it's side how much would that affect things.

Last point my wife likes the look of the RA8 better .... so that is one major consideration.

Thanks for your help

Ted

kfr01

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2006, 10:29 pm »
First, they're probably going to sound pretty darn similar.  They use the same midrange and bass drivers.  The midrange drivers are sealed in both designs.  The bass drivers are ported and tuned to 27-30hz in both designs.  Similar, similar, and similar.  

Second, you should probably do some research on whether you like ribbon sound or fabric dome sound.  With the midrange and bass drivers being the same, the largest difference between the voice of the two speakers will be in the treble.

Third, the RA8 is rear ported and uses side firing drivers.  This is an issue for some HT folks that like to place speakers against the rear wall and near side walls.  Many of my HT enthusiast friends will not buy rear ported or side firing designs for this reason.  Others like the bass and midbass rise they can obtain these ways...

Fourth, I wouldn't try to just "turn a speaker on its side" and make it a center.  If you want a center, buy an Exodus LCR or a raw HT2, two speaker -designed- for LCR use.  

Fifth, the RA8 includes really high quality crossover parts.  If you're into that, great.  If you think they are a waste of money for the small sonic increase, bad.  

Sixth, Raw's finishing work is amazing.  You'll have to price similar work for the 2641.

Seventh, the MTM configuration will control vertical dispersion some.  If you have a reflective low ceiling or reflective floor, this is probably a good thing.  If you don't, it probably won't matter.

Anyway, both are great speakers.  They'll sound pretty similar.  -You- gotta decide which design better fits your needs.  I've at least brought up some considerations for you.

Tedp

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2006, 10:34 pm »
Umm are you sure ... the RA8 is the partial line array that uses 8 m-130 drivers .... I would think they would have a different soung BC oc this.

Also it says above in the sticky (new array) that it can be used as a center BCV of it's excellent off-axes responce.

I am just trying to see what people think of it as a HT speaker.

Thanks

Ted

kfr01

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2006, 10:37 pm »
Woops!

I was reading Raw's HT8 in there somehow.  Sorry.  I just assumed you were looking at similar designs and the 'HT' design since you're an 'HT' guy.  

Well, they'll sound totally different.

Have you heard line arrays?  Do you know their design pluses and minuses?

Karl

Tedp

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2006, 10:40 pm »
No that is part of what I am trying to figure out ... but from what I have heard described it sounds promising .... plus we like the looks :)

Ted

kfr01

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2006, 10:44 pm »
Here's a whitepaper on line arrays:

http://www.audiodiycentral.com/resource/pdf/nflawp.pdf

It'll tell you some basics.  The biggest benefit for HT will be the creation of a wide sweet spot.  

High efficiency couldn't hurt for HT.  You won't have to spend any money on expensive high watt amplifiers.

I highly recommend trying to find a local dealer that carries line arrays and see if you like the effect...

Hope this is actually helpful (as opposed to my previous mistake!).

Karl

Jason1

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2006, 12:23 am »
The RA8's are not true line arrays. They are wwwmtmwww's.

kfr01

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2006, 02:12 am »
Quote from: Jason1
The RA8's are not true line arrays. They are wwwmtmwww's.

lol - well, it appears that my additions to this thread have been of absolutely zero value.

Tedp:  let us know what you pick and how it works out for you!

machine

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2006, 01:34 pm »
If your in the Chicagoland area, you can come and have a listen to my RA8's.

I am super happy with these.  Once all my stuff gets burned in I'll have to do a comparison against my Onix Ref 3's, but I already think I like the RA8's better.

Tedp

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2006, 03:36 pm »
Machine do you listen to any HT on these? How do they work for HT...

Thanks

Ted

RAW

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2006, 04:50 pm »
Karl
I see a little mix up :lol:

First off the HT8 does have a few other things over the 2641.
Higher sensitivity ,midrange well a lot of a plus to have the added MTM over the MT of the 2641.
Then add the ported TL cabinet into the HT8 and a sealed non standard shaped cabinet in the MTM and the over all dynamic from the mids is very stong yet smooth. 8)

The upper frequency range well I have made that point before :wink:

RAW

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2006, 05:01 pm »
RA8 over the 2641.

Well Ted you said, you had a sub and the low end was not a lissue with that in mid we talked about the SSR.As well as the size was a issue.
Now to go to the RA8 big step up.
Kit is a very good value but the finished speakers are a lot more than the SSR we had talked about.

For those going :!:  SSR Well that is a model we have not released.
Super Spires Reference.
Tower and center channel.And yes the center is unfinished but assembled.

These are designs using our T140 ribbon same as the HT6 and also used in our line arrays.

These are what Ted and I had talked about before.

Now to go to the RA8  8)

Over all a great move if you can do it.
Advantage for dispersion goes to the RA8 no compairing them there and that alone would be the point.

Using our shorter ribbon in the designs  is a advantage over the SSR but the size was a issue with your locations as we had talked about.

Ted I would look at your locations and if you can I would go to the RA8.

Tedp

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2006, 07:11 pm »
I would like to thank Al for that nice long talk. It looks like I will go with the RA8's in the kit form.

Thanks all

Ted

RAW

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2006, 07:13 pm »
Ted will do.

3 RA8 kits it will be 2 for mains and one for center channel :dance:

Al Garay

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2006, 07:40 pm »
When will you have a HT8 down around Seattle for a listen?

RAW

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2006, 07:42 pm »
Al You want them for a few days.

We can make it happen.

Al Garay

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2006, 08:00 pm »
This is the motivation I need to get the cabinets finished for the 2641 kit that is sitting in my workbench. Then, I will take you up on the offer to hear the HT8s for a couple of days.

thanks,

Al

RAW

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2006, 08:08 pm »
Al
By all means LMK when you have them ready and if you do not mind I to would like to sit and listen to your 2641.

Tedp

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2006, 08:46 pm »
Thanks again .,.. it truly has been a pleasure doing business .. I look forward to finishing these and hearing them for myself ...

Hey when you pass speakers around feel free to send some my way .. then the alberta crowd can get a listen...

Ted

Berndt

RA8 V.S 2461
« Reply #19 on: 25 Apr 2006, 12:28 am »
What is a 2641?
Found it, carry on.