Upcoming Concerts - Gateway Audio Society

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
Re: Upcoming Concerts - Gateway Audio Society
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2007, 04:23 pm »
Hey Scott - Everyone -

I've been listening to the three cuts from the new Metheny/Mehldau CD on www.patmetheny.com, and I'm very, very impressed.  I've been a Metheny fan since the early 80's so I may be slanted in my opinions, but these three are terrific.  Especially when the bass and drums are added in cut three "Ring of Life". 

Went to Amazon.com to buy the CD and read all 28 reviews.  Some love it (more), some hate it(less), but if the three tunes available online are representative of the entire CD, it's a 4-5 star effort (in my humble opinion).  Presale tickets go on sale on January 25th, 10am, unsure if that's Central, Eastern, Mountain, Pacific.

I'll definitely be there!
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2007, 08:50 pm by kirch »

MerRev

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2007, 04:31 pm »
I'm interested in the Metheny/Mehldau show as well.  I wonder how many Gasser's are considering it?

Also, Dave Alvin and the Guilty Men as well as Richard Thompson may be worthwhile:

http://www.thepageant.com/calendar.html
Richard Thompson Thursday Feb. 22nd

http://www.offbroadwaystl.com/calendar/
Dave Alvin and the Guilty Men  Thursday Feb. 8th  -$15

Blackmore

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jan 2007, 01:12 am »
This is short notice, but I've got some free tickets for the Sunday, January 28th concert of the St. Louis Wind Symphony.  It's at 3:00 pm at Kirkwood High School and I'll leave the tickets at the front.  We're presenting "A European Travelogue".

Hands Across the Sea-Sousa
Scenes from the Louvre-Della Joio
Blue Danube-Strauss
Scotch Strathspey and Reel- Grainger  (some of the fastest trumpet parts I've ever had to play. :o)
March of the Belgian Paratroopers-Leemans
Feast Day in Seville-Albeniz
Adoration and Praise-Smith (not quite sure how this fits the theme, but based on a Lutheran hymn)
Pines of the Appian Way-Respighi

If you need your ears calibrated again this year, come on out and hear some live musicians in a good hall and watch me sweat on the Grainger.  Oh, and I should say my SET system has never sounded better, which means something is about to break. Come and hear it before I lose a tube.  :lol:

steve k

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jan 2007, 01:59 pm »
Looking forward to the Respighi! See you there. Yes I know all about blown tubes. Ah, the joys and excitement of tube amplification. Transistors just don't provide the same light show. :thumb:
steve

MerRev

« Reply #24 on: 24 Jan 2007, 03:38 pm »
wouldn't mind hearing the St. L. Wind Symphony but I also would enjoy the Yammy/Abby combo.  I finally have a pair of Maggie SMGa's up & running thanks to quite a bit of help from Steve and they are easily transportable.  They sure are beauts sans the fabric sock covers so please try to refrain from making any offers. :wink:

-merrev

steve k

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jan 2007, 05:11 pm »
Another one bites the dust. :green:

steve k

Metheny and Mehldau ticket presale....
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jan 2007, 08:21 pm »
For those of us interested in seeing Metheny and Mehldau, ticket presale starts Friday (one day before public sales).

Sent by: Sheldon Arts Foundation
Reply to the sender   

The Sheldon Concert Hall
Special Pre-Sale for Upcoming Concerts

Now is your chance to buy single tickets
for these newly added Sheldon Concerts!

Your special Pre-Sale begins Friday, January 26 at 10 a.m., one day before the general public on sale date of January 27! 
Act early for best seat selection.

Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen
Friday, March 16 at 8 p.m.

Pat Metheny and Brad Mehldau
with Larry Grenadier and Jeff Ballard
Wednesday, April 4 at 8 p.m.

Log-on to metrotix.com/promotions and enter the following password:  PATANDBRAD. 

If you have any questions or problems, call The Sheldon at 314-533-9900 during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.- 5p.m.

Scott F.

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2007, 11:13 pm »
You guys missed a good concert with the St Louis Wind Symphony (Steve, we sat behind you and Barb). Lisa got a nice solo or two. Not to worry, next time they are doing a couple of pieces from Holst, The Planets plus some John Williams (Star Wars & ET).

Hey Blackmore, did you see anything in the back left of the hall during the last Sousa piece?

steve k

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jan 2007, 12:17 am »
Yes that was a good one. Hats off to Mark and Lisa. The Grainger would have been enough work for the afternoon! :o My fav was still the Appian Way. Nothing like the sound of Roman Legions marching back to Rome after a conquest to get yer blood flowing!!

We missed you Scott. I could swear I looked around back there. Did you sneak in during the Sousa? The next would sounds like a good show too.
steve

Scott F.

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jan 2007, 12:29 am »
We were a bit late and came in just as the first piece was ending.

Blackmore

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jan 2007, 12:38 am »
Thanks for coming out to the concert.  Scott, I didn't notice anything in the back.   The next concert should be another blow. It calls for flugelhorns, piccolo trumpets etc.... I don't know how many more of these concerts my lips have in them.

Bought something cool over the weekend.  A Marantz PMD 660 recorder.  It uses Compact Flash cards and can record in 44.1 or 48 khz mp3 or WAV files and downloads via USB.  It's about the size of a paperback novel and has XLR mic inputs with phantom power.  Pretty cool little device that lets me record without lugging my CD recorder to the concert.  I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks again for coming out and I wish I could have spent some time with you guys before the concert, but we ran real late in the pre-concert rehearsal.  See you soon.

Blackmore

« Reply #31 on: 27 Feb 2007, 02:11 am »
Last Concert of the Year for St. Louis Wind Symphony is Sunday night at 7:00 pm.at Kirkwood High School.  There will be food after the concert if that helps make your decision.
 We will be playing tunes pertaining to Space:
"Flight" by Brian Balmages.  Written to commemorate the X prize for private manned space flight
Mars and Jupiter from "The Planets" by Holst. 
Selections from "E.T" by John Williams
"Colorado Blue" by Jared Spears  premiere performance.  Nice flugelhorn solo by Dr. Lisa
"By the Light of the Polar Star" by Sousa.  From his Looking Upward Suite. fairly obscure Sousa
"Star Wars Trilogy" by John Williams/arranged by Donald Hunsberger.  This has piccolo trumpets, flugels, alto flutes, contrabassoon,etc. 
Usual encores if we have any lips left. 
I'll have free tickets at the front table if anyone can make it. Hope to see you Sunday.

steve k

« Reply #32 on: 27 Feb 2007, 03:32 am »
As always, Mark, we'll be there! I take it your lips have recovered from the Grainger piece? Do you guys record your concerts? You should for local distribution at least. See you then.
steve

jedi35

« Reply #33 on: 15 Mar 2007, 08:39 am »
Hey guys,

I'm performing with the Bach Society this coming Sunday, March 18 at 6:30pm. We're doing parts 2 and 3 of the Messiah. Good stuff. The concert is at St. Francis Xavier(College)Church at St. Louis University. This is at Grand and Lindell. I hope some of you can make it.

Adrian

jedi35

« Reply #34 on: 26 Mar 2007, 03:13 am »
Oops, I know it doesn't make sense to post this after the fact...but I just finished 2 concerts with Johnny Mathis at the Fox Theater. He did a Saturday and a Sunday night show, and it was awesome. His voice and style was as golden as ever. It's sad that I bragged about this to a young lady at the grocery store, and she said " That's great!! Now who is Johnny Mathis?" Well, go figure...

OK, here's advance notice. I'm playing Chicago the Musical at the Fox April 13-15(5 shows), and Mannheim Steamroller on April 19(1 show), also at the Fox. I'll also play The Lion King at the Fox this summer, and I think the dates are June 24 through July 29.

Adrian

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #35 on: 26 Mar 2007, 04:17 am »
Hey Adrian.

I'll be at the Steamroller show.  Looking forward to it.

Bryan

jedi35

« Reply #36 on: 26 Mar 2007, 03:45 pm »
Hey, that's great Bryan. Feel free to come on down to the stage beforehand, or at intermission if you'd like to say hello. Don't feel obligated, as the Fox can get rather packed.

Adrian

Blackmore

« Reply #37 on: 25 Jun 2007, 11:40 am »
Just noticed this.

Saint Louis Cathedral Concerts will feature Felix Hell, organist on July 18, 2007 at 7:30 pm.  Felix is the 21 year old that has recorded for Reference Recordings and is a Harry Pearson fave.  Program will include works by J.S. Bach, Marcel Dupre, Healey Willan, Samuel Barber, Cesar Franck and Alexandre Guilmant.  The Cathedral's organ began life as a Kilgen and has been recently refurbished by Wicks. Tickets are only $10 and you can get them at www.StLCathedralConcerts.org

steve k

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jun 2007, 02:53 pm »
I love that name! :tempted: :tempted:

Blackmore

« Reply #39 on: 8 Jul 2007, 01:32 pm »
Compton Heights will feature "The Stoneback Sisters" tonight and Monday night.  They're three 20-something trumpeters.  Fine, fine playing and "they're triplets, Nigel, triplets!"  They'll be performing with us on Bugler's Holiday, The Three Cardinals, Flight of the Bumblebee, Carnival of Venice, and Espana por cani.  Most of these are from the Raphael Mendez library (they have the exclusive rights on his trio library). Tonight (July 8) we're at Francis Park (5399 Donovan Avenue-a few blocks south of Ted Drewe's) and tomorrow night we're at Tower Grove (Grand and Magnolia) Concerts are free, start at 7:30 pm and you just bring a lawn chair and enjoy the show.  For all the trumpeters in the group, you need to see these  young ladies play!!!!!!!  www.stonebrass.com for some bio on them.