Fostex F200A

jgpmhl

OB fullrange
« Reply #40 on: 5 May 2006, 03:10 am »
Thanks for the invite mcgsxr.  Unfortunately, but happily, I live in Calgary.  From what I saw in your gallery, you are very, very good with wood.  

For those who are curious about my original question, the Fostex recommended-dimension boxes in 15mm to 19mm glass (including the price of drilling the holes) ran from $233 CDN each for the 10 liter box to the $360 each CDN for the 45 liter box. This is wholesale pricing using Chinese glass (which is fine for the purpose but cheaper than NA sourced stuff).  For US$ prices, just multiply by .9.  Since the drivers run from $61 USD to $373 USD, I am not proceeding with that idea.  OB, 19mm mdf will be the next project, once I am done building the Shamrock Sound SE-1, in about 2 weeks I hope.  I am optimistic my old Onkyo can deliver the requisite juice for OB.

By the way, was that an FR125S I saw in your gallery?

Happy listening.

mcgsxr

Fostex F200A
« Reply #41 on: 5 May 2006, 11:56 am »
jgpmhl - good with raw stock maybe, but with finishing.... not so much!

Yes, you would have seen a variety of drivers in my gallery.

The b200 Visaton 8 inch on OB.
The WR125S run full range in a box.
The FR125S run full range in a box.
The KIT41 (a WR125S and a tweeter) in a box.

Shamrock built some really nice kits, glad that you have found one!

What driver do you intend to use in the 3/4 mdf OB?

Too bad you are in Calgary, from the sharing of projects perspective, but for amazing mountain views, I am insanely jealous!

jgpmhl

OB drivers
« Reply #42 on: 6 May 2006, 01:34 am »
Here is the link to the kit that has me thinking. It would be a once-in-a-lifetime expense (until the next one).

http://www.visaton.de/english/artikel/art_829_6_20.html

I am very curious about what you think/hear of the b200.

The mountains are fantastic. I lived in TO for 7 years and it was OK but it takes 4 hours to leave. Cal takes 40 minutes.

JP

JiffyBoob

Fostex F200A
« Reply #43 on: 6 May 2006, 01:44 am »
JGP

refer to"Gravity Well of a Dark Star" thread on Red Wine Audio Forum, my last comments on B200 on OB. Sounds like your shortcut.

Do I like? I am one of only about four owners of actual DarkStar speaker system, and they are total killy. Absolutely stupidly great openbaffle and dipole bass system. The No Box doesnt 'need' to be done. Dr Mason knows about woofers for open baffle, which are available right here. ...And there..the Parts Express Dayton IB- 15 inch had been singled out as the very best overall choice for that type of bass speaker. Mine are Eminence Delta 15. Four of em. Muy basso.