Q: Big difference between RWA mod' analogue vs' non-modded?

fu_man

I'm doing  small comparison between RWA modded and non-modded SB3 and  was  wondering:

Vinnie,  can you please tell me:
On the full battery modded PS, is the optional AC power supply “by-pass switch” equivalent to running a non-modded stock PS?  (I.E.  AC power to SB via the battery enclosure)

Anyone who has had the opportunity to compare:
Is the difference between the non-modded and the modded analogue output…
similar in ‘magnitude’ to the difference between the modded & non-modded digital out?

(I am comparing a full mod  SB3  with an  Analogue only SB3 – so  I don’t  know  what a non-modded SB sounds like using the analogue outs – but I do know there is a  whole  heap of  difference  between the  non- modded digital out and the  RWA  digital out!)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Q: Big difference between RWA mod' analogue vs' non-modd
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2006, 01:35 pm »
Hi fu_man,

On the full battery modded PS, is the optional AC power supply “by-pass switch” equivalent to running a non-modded stock PS?  (I.E.  AC power to SB via the battery enclosure)

No.  Even when running the AC power option, it is still sending both 12V and 5V into the SB.  The 5V comes from a regulator inside of the battery enclosure.  There is also added filtering at the 5V and 12V input inside of the SB.  With the stock unit, you are sending the stock power supply (5V) into the unmodded SB, so this is different.

Best regards,

95bcwh

Re: Q: Big difference between RWA mod' analogue vs' non-modd
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2006, 02:08 pm »
Quote from: fu_man

similar in ‘magnitude’ to the difference between the modded & non-modded digital out?

How do you know if there're "big difference"? Have you compare the two? What gear did you use?

Thanks
barry

fu_man

First impressions of the SB3
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2006, 03:58 am »
Thanks Vinnie,  

Between  back orders, indecision (mine)  and customs clearance  it has  been a long  time waiting the SB to arrive.  

AC option:
I  was  wondering if "flicking the switch"  gave  me a  comparison of  what the  battery  supply does (compared to stock)  but  this is  clearly  wrong. I'll have to  work a  bit  harder  on that one.

I've  had  them  set  up  for about  3  weeks  now and thought  i would  spend  a bit  of  time  before  i posted  a  review.
But  really  there are so many reviews now  that  i  don't  know  how  important it  really is.  Plus,  I  feel like a  bit  of a phony  writing   reviews... so  I thought  i will just add  my general impressions...  which  i  will  do in  a little  more  detail  later.

As  a  very  brief  summary:

yes it is  true.  Vinnie is  a  very  helpful and  patient  guy.  Answered  all my  questions and  reviewed  my options for  alternative  power supplies  etc. (I was trying to cut  down on shipping weight, tax, duty  etc. -  in the end i went for  all Vinnie's  gear)

Unmodded digital out:
I have one  SB3 with analogue only mods and  one  with full  mods.  So I  compared  the  digital out of the modded and  non-modded  units.  The  non  modded unit  was okay but definitely would not  stay  in my  main set up.  Actually  i  probably wouldn't be happy with it personally for  anything  but background  music.  But  given the options, it doesn't  get  my  recommendation.
This  trial is  flawed though -  because  my full mod  unit ran thru the power improvements (with AC option)
Still,  the  difference  was  noticeable within  about  3  seconds. Day and night.

A  comparison of the  analogue out versus the digital out -  both though the battery  Unit AC option:  

The   Digital out  was  clearly  better and for my listening the only acceptable sound  in the main  system.  the modded  analogue  out  was pretty good  though and  I will be happy  using it  it the  workroom  system.

All  i  can  conclude is that the   difference  between  the  non-modded  digital out  and   modded   unit ( maybe  power upgrade  is impt too) is  massive and turns a relatively inexpensive  server into a  serious  bit of  Hifi.

Main Gear:
Xindak DAC3  ( Eichmann  digital  cable)
Plinius CD LAD  preamp
Plinius  SA102 (120 W class A)
Martin Logan CLS2
REL  Storm sub.
(cables mostly Slinky Links)

This is the  first separate  DAC i have  used. It is  clearly the lowest cost  component  in  my  system  by a  long shot  -  yet  it seems  really good.  But  i have no  experience  to compare it.  It is  likely that a DAC60 or  benchmark might  be  better,  but that will have  wait  for more cash.  Does  anyone  else  have experience  with the  Xindak?

If  EA (and  others)  mods  to the  benchmark DAC  make  as  much  difference as  RWA  mods  do to the SB,  then I  am  sold on mods!

Oh yeah, did I say, the  full mod SB3  from RWA  is awesome!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: First impressions of the SB3
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2006, 01:15 pm »
Quote from: fu_man
All i can conclude is that the difference between the non-modded digital out and modded unit ( maybe power upgrade is impt too) is massive and turns a relatively inexpensive server into a serious bit of Hifi. ...

Hi fu_man,

Thanks for posting your impressions....much appreciated!   I'm glad everything is working out so well for you.  8)

Thanks again,