How do you keep your cables OFF the ground?

ohenry

« Reply #20 on: 7 Apr 2006, 07:34 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
As well as ceramic's...you might try a teepee design with short sticks....chopsticks or similar.
    As for tweaks...alot of DIY items...
here........interesting reading. 8) [/list:u]

Check out Mapleshades site for a picture of some tripods. They appear pretty simple.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 7 Apr 2006, 07:35 pm »
Quote from: skrivis
As well as ceramic's...you might try a teepee design with short sticks....chopsticks or similar.

They even have a review of Cable Elevators...
I like escalators....you can slid down the rails..... :lol:

skrivis

« Reply #22 on: 7 Apr 2006, 07:40 pm »
Quote from: skrivis

They even have a review of Cable Elevators...
I like escalators....you can slid down the rails..... :lol:

But with elevators you can do cool stuff like in Revenge of the Sith. Or maybe like in Toystory 2?

John Casler

« Reply #23 on: 7 Apr 2006, 08:10 pm »
In addtion to the Pringles packages, the pic below shows "chopsticks" from Panda Express, separated "only" at one end, and my daughters "LEGO" blocks. :o

I don't use them because I hear a big difference, I use them because they look a little more "interesting". 8)

The Pringles packages "ALWAYS" illicit comments and chuckles :lol:  :lol:

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #24 on: 7 Apr 2006, 08:16 pm »
I think if you bring your sound system into the house, you could keep your wires off the ground.
It would also be a way of keeping them clean and dry.
I like my wires clean and dry. My system sounds better with clean and dry wires, also away from lawnmowers, snowblowers, squirls and other outside elements. :nono:
But if you do set up outside, you could try a ladder to keep them off the ground! :D

skrivis

« Reply #25 on: 7 Apr 2006, 08:21 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
In addtion to the Pringles packages, the pic below shows "chopsticks" from Panda Express, separated "only" at one end, and my daughters "LEGO" blocks. :o

I don't use them because I hear a big difference, I use them because they look a little more "interesting". 8)

The Pringles packages "ALWAYS" illicit comments and chuckles :lol:  :lol:

Do you have mice? It looks like you've setup a little monorail system for them.  :lol:

OTL

Sushi?
« Reply #26 on: 7 Apr 2006, 08:25 pm »
Eat more sushi and bring home the chopsticks.  Three per stand held together with a rubber band, or teflon tape if you're a purist.

ajzepp

« Reply #27 on: 7 Apr 2006, 08:32 pm »

Check out Mapleshades site for a picture of some tripods. They appear pretty simple.

Mapleshade rules.....I love their stuff. I'm going to pick up some of their plinths for my speakers in the next month or two.

pm314

« Reply #28 on: 7 Apr 2006, 09:56 pm »
I had this problem last summer. I figured if I can get the cables off the floor, who needs the floor. I'm not sure it helped my sound quality any though.....its funny how quickly these little tweaks can get out of hand......

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #29 on: 8 Apr 2006, 12:33 am »
Ah, I see you are getting ready to build some horn bass units, made of poured concrete extending back into the yard as far as necessary, as some of my Barbados clients have done.  Screw folded horns when you have all that yard for 50 feet or so of straight ones.

One client there also copied the cabinets of B&W DM6 speakers out of concrete too, built into his listening room walls.  Actually VERY good sound!

Frank

Vtech2000

« Reply #30 on: 8 Apr 2006, 05:07 am »
Here's the link for more info on Mapleshade's Triad Cable Lifts:

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/cablelifts.php

30 day money back guarantee, the same as we offer with our products...try it, whadaya got to loose?

Tweaker

« Reply #31 on: 8 Apr 2006, 05:45 am »
I think Frank is on to something but if you like your existing wires perhaps attaching some helium balloons to them would do the trick. Would also give a more festive look to the rig.
 To be honest, I have my speaker wires elevated using some extra Mapleshade Heavyhats. I can't honestly say if the make a difference but, what-the-hey!

eric the red

« Reply #32 on: 8 Apr 2006, 12:23 pm »
Quote from: Vtech2000

30 day money back guarantee, the same as we offer with our products...try it, whadaya got to loose?

Wow! 40 bucks for a set of four??? No offense intended, but a dozen audiophile-grade chop sticks swiped from Panda Express for free , a $1.00 Reviewer's Choice roll of electrical tape and a $2.00 rattle of can Stereophile Class A  black lacquer later and I've just saved myself about $37.00 on this little experiment  :hyper:

95bcwh

« Reply #33 on: 8 Apr 2006, 03:30 pm »
Quote from: eric the red

Wow! 40 bucks for a set of four??? No offense intended, but a dozen audiophile-grade chop sticks swiped from Panda Express for free , a $1.00 Reviewer's Choice roll of electrical tape and a $2.00 rattle of can Stereophile Class A  black lacquer later and I've just saved myself about $37.00 on this little experiment  :hyper:

Being an audiophile, I cannot accept that the free chopsticks can do as well as the $40 tripod  :mrgreen:

I'm confident that the tripod will give more detailed, cleaner, wider soundstage, tighter bass, than the Panda Chopsticks, and worth every penny...  :lol:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #34 on: 8 Apr 2006, 03:38 pm »
Of course having cables laying on the ground in a wet location would be really harmful to the sound because it would ruin the damping factor of the system.

Frank

arthurs

« Reply #35 on: 8 Apr 2006, 03:42 pm »
I used the Panda Express chopsticks and they produced a fuzzy tonality, a roundness and removed all the color from my speakers, made everything sound black and white....I'm going to try some from the "Great Wall of China" restaraunt up the street and see if they produce the wall of sound I anticipate they will.....

ajzepp

« Reply #36 on: 8 Apr 2006, 06:24 pm »
Quote from: eric the red
Quote from: Vtech2000

I can't speak for any benefit in terms of the sound by using the Mapleshade triads, but I can assure you that whatever you spend with them is commensurate with the build quality. They stand behind their products, hence the in-home 30 day trial.

djbnh

« Reply #37 on: 8 Apr 2006, 08:37 pm »
I use wine corks, with an appropriately sized "V" notched in each, to keep my IC/speaker/power cables from lying on the metal covering of the FHW covers and carpets. Also good for keeping cables from touching each other. If you need more - just drink more wine.

Vtech2000

« Reply #38 on: 8 Apr 2006, 09:33 pm »
Here is a link to another viable solution, good products, lots of valuable information on the subject:

http://www.cableisolators.com/index.htm

eric the red

« Reply #39 on: 8 Apr 2006, 10:49 pm »
Quote from: ajzepp
I can't speak for any benefit in terms of the sound by using the Mapleshade triads, but I can assure you that whatever you spend with them is commensurate with the build quality. They stand behind their products, hence the in-home 30 day trial.

I don't think we're talking much build quality here considering that the Triads are 3 small painted pieces of wood and a small strap to hold them together. Maybe some people feel better about paying 12 bucks for one with the Mapleshade name on it, however... :roll: