Apple supports booting of Windows on Intel Macs

brj

« on: 5 Apr 2006, 02:23 pm »
Take a look at Boot Camp Public Beta.  Apple will not officially support Windows itself, but they will enable you to boot Windows on an Intel based Mac, and even provide all of the drivers you need.

That Mac Mini is sounding more and more like a possible media PC, especially if you have network based storage somewhere else on your home network.  MacOSX with Front Row, Windows Media Center...  Now we just have to get the GRUB or ELILO boot loaders working completely with EFI, and we can add Linux and BSD to the mix as well.  (I'm already wondering if the Apple boot loader can be made to support Linux.)

Levi

« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2006, 02:27 pm »
This is an excellent move for Apple market wise.  In performance, I don't think the new chip will better the IBM.  Dual boot it and call iWindows.

brj

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2006, 02:35 pm »
Apple has always claimed they write software to sell their hardware.  This move is entirely consistent with that philosophy.

As for Intel's new "Yonah" processor, performance is better that specific PowerPC chips in some things and worse in others - just like every other processor.  I very much like the Power and PowerPC architectures and think they have lots of growth potential left in them.  (For number crunching Linux systems, the Power5 is impressive indeed.)

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2006, 03:00 pm »
Well, looks like Apple's going to sell me another laptop now.  Now I can ditch the old windows and have one machine that does the work I need and one that I actually like to use for personal stuff.