Speaker Recommendation needed

Tweaker

« Reply #40 on: 26 Apr 2006, 07:49 pm »
There is an owners circle for Hyperion Speakers. Lots of good reviews on the website. They look to be a giant killer and with 90 db sensitivity should work well with your amp.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=80

http://hyperionsound.com/products.htm
 I know you can afford to spend a whole lot more but maybe you don't need to.

2bigears

« Reply #41 on: 26 Apr 2006, 09:22 pm »
just sent the cash for Zu Definitions.they will come with 320 hrs burn time so i should hear them sing in a week or two after i get them.i really hope they sound ok,they did give me 120 days return,which is pretty good.just hope they work in the system.will need speaker cables and not sure where to go there???? :)  :)  :D  :)  :)

miklorsmith

« Reply #42 on: 26 Apr 2006, 09:24 pm »
See if they'll give you a deal on Ibis cables.  They're fantastic and are widely reported to help low-volume resolution and dynamics.

Congrats!

2bigears

« Reply #43 on: 26 Apr 2006, 09:57 pm »
thks miklorsmith,hoping i made a good move here.i don't like to buy new but try to find used Zu is tough.i know nothing of these cables,are these the ones to think about???? :)  :)  :D  :)  :)

miklorsmith

« Reply #44 on: 26 Apr 2006, 10:02 pm »
Well, I'm sure there are plenty of recommendations for speaker cables, but these are the same ones the Def's use internally, and you might just get a deal on them since you're buying the speakers.  

Srajan uses these as his reference speaker cables.  Another 6moons reviewer uses the Libtecs for his Druids and said they improved quiet dynamics.

They aren't cheap, but nor are they the most expensive cables available.  I think they are "statement" level at less cost than that usually means.

I'd at least call Zu and ask if they have any deals available.

Tedp

« Reply #45 on: 26 Apr 2006, 10:06 pm »
Well my offer still stands ... If you would like a listen to the RA8's after their done you can feel free to stop by.

Ted

commsysman

SPEAKERS
« Reply #46 on: 26 Apr 2006, 10:47 pm »
You know, I bought good speakers before I had good electronics, and that is a mistake I will strongly recommend against; always buy good electronics first (and put at least 50% of your system money there).
I fought for 6 years trying to get them to sound good, and only later did I realize that I probably should have kept them and not the stuff I DID keep; the fault was in the electronics.
I think you did right by buying  the amp first; garbage in, garbage out.
Good speaker with bad input reproduces bad input offensively well!
Also, I went through a lot of speakers that give this kind or that kind of sound before I found some that do everything really well without being "gimmicky"...Vandersteen...cannot recommend them too highly!!!
They are the ones people STAY with after becoming tired of the others.
The Canadian distributor is Justice Audio at 905-780-0079; they should have the list of Candian dealers; hope there is one accessible to you.
Check out Vandersteen.com.

commsysman

SPEAKERS
« Reply #47 on: 26 Apr 2006, 10:51 pm »
Also, I should have said...the model 3A is what I have now, they are about $2800 US, and the model 2C is about half that. They are both full-range speakers, but the 3A has a slightly better tweeter and goes a bit lower. See the stereophile website for reviews in their archives.

NealH

« Reply #48 on: 26 Apr 2006, 11:36 pm »
Good move 2bigears on those Druid Definitions.  A wise choice in my opinion.  Can't wait for a listening report.

2bigears

« Reply #49 on: 27 Apr 2006, 02:49 am »
thks rnhood,without a doubt,the longest gestation time on a decision i have ever experienced.i asked a lot of dumb questions on this board and AG to come up with what i hope to be a fair choice.it's all in good fun,and i sure hope these zu's play well to my liking.over-and-out :D  :D  :D  :D

toobluvr

« Reply #50 on: 27 Apr 2006, 03:12 pm »
Quote from: 2bigears
just sent the cash for Zu Definitions.they will come with 320 hrs burn time so i should hear them sing in a week or two after i get them.i really hope they sound ok,they did give me 120 days return,which is pretty good.just hope they work in the system.will need speaker cables and not sure where to go there???? :)  :)  :D  :)  :)

Congrats on your Zu purchase, 2bigears!!
Once settled in, be sure to post your impressions.
I bet they will just sing with your 30/30.
And if not...just keep looking for those 5As!   :lol:

For cable...
Why not try Straley Reality cable?
Very highly regarded around these parts, and elsewhere for that matter.
I know of many people who use them in expensive and resolving systems.
I also know of many people who have chosen them over some real heavy hitters in the cable world.  After trying these, I hear reports of folks being able to leave the cable revolving door behind them.

Read about them here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=21478&highlight=reality+straley

You can't beat the price, and Greg offers return priveleges.

At a minimum, they will get you started very cheaply.  And I'm sure they will acquit themselves very well till you have more time to tweak around the edges as you build, hone and refine your system and search for that perfect synergy.

bluemike

« Reply #51 on: 27 Apr 2006, 03:44 pm »
Reality cables are awesome

The cable search is over  :mrgreen:

2bigears

« Reply #52 on: 27 Apr 2006, 05:48 pm »
thks guys,your right on top of things as usual,i was lookin' at Zu cable but i will give these guys a look!! as of right now,"cheaply" is a good word as these Defs tapped me out.thks again :)  :)  :D  :)  :)

toobluvr

« Reply #53 on: 27 Apr 2006, 06:57 pm »
thks guys,your right on top of things as usual,i was lookin' at Zu cable but i will give these guys a look!! as of right now,"cheaply" is a good word as these Defs tapped me out.thks again :)  :)  :D  :)  :)

The Reality cables may be reasonably priced.......
but I hear that they really perform waaaay beyond their cost.

Gonna audition them myself....someday.
Busy with other stuff right now.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #54 on: 27 Apr 2006, 11:08 pm »
Quote from: toobluvr
The Reality cables may be reasonably priced.......
but I hear that they really perform waaaay beyond their cost.

Gonna audition them myself....someday.
Busy with other stuff right now.

They absolutely perform WAY BEYOND their price point.

I was able to sell cables that cost 4x and 8x the price of the Reality Cables AND improve my system!!

Gotta love when that happens.

George

2bigears

« Reply #55 on: 28 Apr 2006, 10:57 pm »
i cracked under pressure,i went and done-it.Zu is burnin' a set of libtec cables,with the speakers they will mate to.what the hay,,,,can take it with you,right????can't jump off a bridge and change your mind on the way down??!! :)  :)  :D  :)  :)

toobluvr

« Reply #56 on: 29 Apr 2006, 03:07 pm »
i cracked under pressure,i went and done-it.Zu is burnin' a set of libtec cables,with the speakers they will mate to.what the hay,,,,can take it with you,right????can't jump off a bridge and change your mind on the way down??!! :)  :)  :D  :)  :)

For a few hundred, I'd have gone with the Straley cable first to get started.
Then I'd keep looking for Zu cable on used market.

A/B them in my own system, and sell the loser.
Regardless of which one you sell, finanacial loss is minimized this way.

But that's just me.  I know myself.....I'm curious.
And I'm always on a constant and never-ending search for that "giant killer" component!  :)

Had I gotten the Zu first, no matter how good it sounds, I'd still be curious about Straley.  
The possibility of reducing the budget AND gettting better sound is a powerful force, I and would give in and get the Reality cable.  

If you eventually do try Straley Reality cable, and prefer it, you will have a big loss on Zu resale.....since you bought it new.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #57 on: 29 Apr 2006, 03:20 pm »
I am sure you can find something here that would make anyone searching speakers very happy! :D  :D

http://www.audioc.com/specials1/ssale.htm

2bigears

« Reply #58 on: 29 Apr 2006, 03:52 pm »
would very much like to hear those Panoramas.1600 most likely well spent.are they tube friendly????anyway,will know if the Definitions are my 'cup o tea' in 5 weeks or so.should be interesting.still in shock as buying a set of speakers on a good used car budget is somewhat crazy. :D  :D  :o  :D  :D  toobluvr,guess what,i am going to chance the Zu, they are burning in a set of libtecs with the speakers as we speak for 320 hrs total.i would like to A-B them with the RC's,as they have a return policy.later day experiment as summer is close at hand.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #59 on: 29 Apr 2006, 04:18 pm »
Being a "Panorama" owner, I can't see/hear how they would not be tube friendly! You put a source, preamp and amp to them and voila! you have beautiful sound! Everyone is happy, happy, happy! :D  :D  :D