New Metallica less than 3 weeks away

Brad

« on: 22 May 2003, 01:59 pm »
June 10 - St. Anger :D

There's a clip from one of the songs on the metallica.com website.
"Frantic"   Pretty hard & heavy.

I'll be the oldest guy in line to buy the album at midnight on the 9th  :roll:

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2003, 02:11 pm »
Brad,

You may be interested in reading this post:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/270792.html

One exerpt that has meaning for this subject:

"The new Metallica is supposed to be less than 3dB signal to signal and is deemed the loudest CD ever made. "

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2003, 02:23 pm »
That is dissapointing but then again so were the last two Metallica releases IMO.  

I still think Kill 'Em All is the best Metallica release.

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2003, 03:38 pm »
I think that sometimes too. . . But then I listen to Master, and Ride the Lightning. . .   I think it depends on the mood. . .  But we can all agre that the last several have sucked hard. . .  I won't be rushing out to buy this one after the last 3-4 . . .

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2003, 04:37 pm »
Granted, Load was just okay, Re-load was a pile of steaming sh*t. :cuss:

The new bass player really seems to have re-energized the band.
They're back to longer, harder, songs, with the type of complex time changes they used to do. :thumb:

I'd put And Justice For All at the top of my Metallica list
Then Master O Puppets
Ride the Lightning
Kill Em All
Garage Days
Black Album

Some of their covers are among my favorite Metallica songs.
Breadfan, Stone Cold Crazy, etc. :drums:

I don't have a comment on the 3db range issue - don't know if that's accurate or not, but I tend to doubt it.   Time/volume/speed changes are a big part of what made Metallica.  I don't see them scrapping the dynamic effects.   I would prefer to see Fleming Rasmussen as producer instead of Bob Rock. :idea:

WilliamL

Goodie
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2003, 10:33 pm »
I can download it on Kazaa.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Not much love for Metallica after the Napster controversey. :nono:

OK. Go ahead and attack me now. 8)

Sa-dono

Re: Goodie
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2003, 10:41 pm »
Quote from: Bill Laurent
I can download it on Kazaa.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Not much love for Metallica after the Napster controversey. :nono:

OK. Go ahead and attack me now. 8)

:lol: I don't blame you at all  :lol:

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2003, 12:11 am »
I don't steal or copy music, so Napster was something I pretty much ignored.

I do like how a lot of bands now are offering downloads so you can sample the music before you buy it.

I thought Metallica was in the wrong though.
Here's a funny bbspot article on the subject:

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/6/download_this.html

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2003, 02:06 am »
I'd rate Master as the bands Magnum Opus, with Ride very close behind.  I love the raw energy of Kill 'Em All, but d/t the more simplistic nature of the songwriting I rate it 3rd.

I thought Load had about half a dozen good tunes with a couple instant classics.  The S/T'd one also had a few killer songs but I thought overall was mediocre.  I can't listen to more than two tracks in one sitting from And Justice For All, due to the monotonous sameness of the songs.  And yes, ReLoad was a musical crime against humanity.

Still, I'm anxious for St. Anger:  I haven't looked forward to a new Metallica album in over a decade.  Supposedly it's a return to the heavier style of old, and I like the idea of a bonus disc of videos for ever song on the album.

I really want to like this, hope it doesn't suck.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2003, 02:07 am »
BTW, is have the Gold Disc remasters of Master and Ride, and the sound is truly awesome, much better than the original aluminum ones.

Brad

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2003, 01:51 pm »
Those gold discs are pretty rare and expensive now....
I've seen them listed for $150 each.

We'll have to agree to disagree about 'Justice'.
It's absolutely brilliant - every single song.  It was the hardest Metallica album for me to get into, but the most rewarding for me.

I still remember hearing Master on the radio for the first time.  Only the San Antonio station would play it.  The Houston and Austin radio stations at the time were too chickensh*t.

Hantra

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2003, 01:54 pm »
I love Justice as well. . .

What an amazing album, and lyrically one of the all time greats. . .

B

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2003, 02:35 pm »
Justice is indeed a great alb, my second favorite and the first I owned.

duff138

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2003, 07:54 pm »
I bought Ride the Lightning the week it came out, so it'll always be my favorite.  I remember listening to the first track "Fight Fire with Fire" and thinking I've never heard anything like this before in my life.  

The DCC gold disc go on ebay for $25.  I have a copy of  Master of Puppets anyone want to trade CDR copies, I'd love to hear Ride the Lightning DCC remastered.  The remastering make the original sound very bad.  Steve Hoffman is an amazing engineer.  He may even do "In Justice for all..." eventually.

nathanm

« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2003, 03:48 am »
Metallica dropped off my radar somewheres after the Black Album.  It was clear that was the beginning of the end.  But hell, in comparison to the stuff that came after I grew to like the Black Album!  It probably would've been better if they didn't take nine fucking months to record the damn thing!  How the hell can you drag something out for so long?  I don't get it.  I haven't even heard the entire Load disc.  As for what they released after that I don't know.  Wasn't there a ReLoad or something?  I didn't even know Newsted left until like a month ago!  It will be interesting to see if a little cult band like VoiVod get catapulted into the mainstream simply due to his involvement.

I've got a copy of the Gold Remastered Master Of Puppets but I never had the original CD to compare it to.  I did buy some other remastered CD by a band called Candlemass, and I think they might be suffering from the Uber Compression Plague - it is much louder than the original! :evil:

The 180g LP (180G=We Can Charge More!) release of Justice sounded amazingly good  I think it's because the feed rate is so high, there's probably more wave excursions since there's like 2 songs per side.  Just a guess.

Why stop at 3db?  Can we program the computer to make every sample be at 0db?  Yeah man, that would be really cool.  Let's have an acoustic guitar be the same loudness as the song's climax.  WTF people?

You know how good Metallica's old stuff is when those dudes with the cellos can cover it and it still rocks. (BTW that record is goddamn awful sounding - cellos with scratchy treble no bass?! Weak!) Since then the arrangements of their songs have regressed into pop-like ditties.  Oh well, no matter - there's a thousand other bands to listen to that blow their doors off.