New Superhemp write up in positive-feedback!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« on: 4 Apr 2006, 12:43 am »
Just spotted this one:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue24/omega_superhemp.htm

Gary did a nice job with this write up and I found the hemp talk amusing too :smoke:

Keep kickin' ass, Louis!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2006, 05:03 am »
Nice buzz Louis !!! 8)
    Chris[/list:u]

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2006, 02:30 pm »
Stoney!

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2006, 03:31 pm »
Nice read, balanced report, and GOD what lovely cabinets!

Dmason

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2006, 06:26 pm »
Pretty much mirrors my own experiences. Properly baked, they become VERY sensitive to source and amplification. Fortunately, I have found that NON OS DAC and my favorite amps, batTery RWA  and SET work perfectly. Those are all you need to fill all the corners. Interesting that Don Garber's amps are so commonly found with the twenty odd pairs of SuperHemps out there yet. Point is, as little as 2-3 watts with a good strong signal is perfectly fine for real world listening, the 6 watts of the ClariT ROCK these things. 250 watt sand amps sound pretty durn good as well. Not picky about amplification, but about partnering. IMO the ClariT gets the nod in the SS division, and batTery T amps sound soooooooo cool with single drivers.

Three words: TONE TONE TONE.

Gary used the term "tone monster" to describe what he heard. This is the exact same term used by a musician (guitarist) friend whose jaw dropped when he heard Mark Knopfler's 'Sailing To Philadelphia" on the Supers. Small woild. People mention guitar. I would like to mention that I have never heard woods portrayed as well as these speakers do it.

I pretty much concur with everything Gary has to say. The one difference being that I find using the SuperHemps encourages recreational drug use. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   .... :o

Bwanagreg

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2006, 07:11 pm »
I was interested in the fact that the rear port can be blocked ala the compact version of the hemp to create a sealed box. That opens up some options for those of us with some placement restrictions.

Nice review. Congrats again Louis.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2006, 07:54 pm »
I pretty much concur with everything Gary has to say. The one difference being that I find using the SuperHemps encourages recreational drug use.    ....

UH-OH, ITS  REEFER MADNESS! :drums: (Blame it on all those wild jazz musicians!  8) ).

The Superhemps are terrific and I love mine more every day. They are very flexible and as DMason said, easy to drive. Experimentation is warranted and necessary to find the sound each listener enjoys. Knowing that the Superhemps will not homogenize the music they play just makes them that much more of a value to the owner.

In fact, I just received a new 2A3 amp that has much more drive than any 3.5 watt amp I have ever heard and it drives the whizzers off the Hempcones!  :whip:

Thanks to all for your kind comments!

Smoke 'em if ya' got 'em, buy 'em from Lou if ya' don't!!  :rock:

nodiak

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2006, 09:06 pm »
first off I don't have Louis' Hemptone speakers, and I believe them to be better than what my new hemp drivers will be because of Louis's mods and expertise , but this was...interesting...
I almost never leave my door unlocked, it's 60 ft. across the apt. and downstairs.
I just found this thread. As I read it, a knock on the door, a hello from the deep, a door closing.
I run, it's a box with two 8" hemptones from e-speakers. Ha!
So I'm with you guys in spirit, and likely some lesser quality.
Been seeking TONE ! These will help, also just emailed Mapletree in query of octal preamp possibilities. Have nos dac, gainclone, charlize, and Vinnies iMod, getting there.
Don

Dmason

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2006, 09:21 pm »
Don

Mapleshade is such a great place to start for outstanding full size Octal tube pre amp sound from hell. Dr Peppard is a Jedi audiophool with the chops and years of experience in TONE and sound. The Line 2 or the Bigger Octal with passive and 2 active circuits is almost too good to be true. If more people knew.....his PP 6V6 monoblocks look, and I bet sound fantastic. 6V6 always sounds fantastic and would be a bullseye non DHT amp choice. Gary liked the SoundQuest 84 and perhaps could comment some more on 6V6 and the SuperHemps.

Enjoy the hemp. Make your best cabinets. Best part: no seeds or stems.

nodiak

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2006, 09:51 pm »
Dmason, have 35L floorstanding slot loaded passive radiator cabs to use until ob's ready (w/Hawthorne Augie). Started thread in 2 channel asking about octal pre's.
Excuse ot here folks, no more.
Don

Sarchi

« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2006, 09:23 pm »
Quote from: gbeard

Smoke 'em if ya' got 'em, buy 'em from Lou if ya' don't!!

There's a Cheech 'n' Chong plot in there somewhere, but, uh.... what was I just saying...?

yeah...

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2006, 12:03 am »
Hi Everybody,

Many thanks and Gary did a great job with the review. He hit it right on about the Tone and that’s what it’s all about. The bass is good too, but getting the mids right is where it’s at the drivers are all set and the 4.5s have it too. That’s what is so important.

Hi Dan,

I’m seeing this too and more and more Hemps with Fi amps.

I’m really into my T99/Lotus rig right now. Can’t wait for the Vinniemods. Weed rules. 6V6s too.

Hi nodiak,

Get ready for the Tone and you’ll hear it for sure.

Thanks Bwanagreg,

They can make it so much easier to place and adds to the versatility.

Thanks again Gary for the great review and the new amp looks amazing; please let us know how it all works out.

Louis