Many pre-amp inputs I don't need

rockadanny

« on: 3 Apr 2006, 10:18 pm »
Two "TAPE OUT"s, two "TAPE IN"s, and a "TUNER IN" ... I don't need any of these. Can the pre-amp be built without these to save on cost?

I only wish to connect my CD player and DVD player as input sources. I see a "CD IN". Would I be able to use the "SPARE IN" or "SPECIAL IN" for a DVD Player? What is the difference between "SPARE" and "SPECIAL"?

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2006, 12:20 am »
Sure we could build you a preamp with a lot of functions removed if you don't mind the empty holes in the jack panel, and a lot of non-functional switch positions.  Of course it would not save any money as it would requre special "one-off" wiring work and would definately not have a satisfaction gurarantee.

The switch positions and jacks are only a minor cost of the preamp, building a special unit just for you to eliminate standard functions would not be either a good or cost savings idea.

frank Van Alstine

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2006, 03:03 am »
I did not state my questions very well. I really was not interested in having a custom pre-amp built for me (although that is how it reads). I was just surprised to see these kinds of inputs (for tape and tuner) still available. I did not realize tape sources and tuners were used that much anymore in hi fi audio. I guess I'm "out of the loop" on continued use of these devices.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2006, 01:31 pm »
I have been thinking the same thing for a long time. I love my AVA equipment and will be upgrading to the ultra at some point, but have also wondered, Who uses "tape ins" and "tape outs".
I would love a even more basic AVA preamp with just a volume, selector, and I am trying to think why do we even need a balance control :?: stereo/mono switch :?:
Hey Frank, why don't you take a poll like you did with the new face plates and maybe just install some black plugs in the holes :?:
I am a simpler the better kind of guy and maybe, just maybe you could cut the cost even a smiggen. I am not saying your equipment is expensive by any means. It is a very good value.
I just hate paying for and having something I don't use or have a need for.
I know the non used rocker switches on my T7-SLR get dirty and can make some noise problems because it happened to me the other day and I had to rock all the switches several times because you say that cleans them. Just eliminate them :!:

daveshel

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2006, 01:54 pm »
We are an anachronism. The fact that we are using separate preamps and amps says we don't necessarily believe newer is better. I bet a poll would reveal that many of us use legacy sources. The cost of extra inputs is negligible, and I would not be interested in giving up flexibility to save a few pennies.

The balance control, now that is another matter. That is an expensive potentiometer that I could do without.

avahifi_lj

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2006, 02:36 pm »
Hi:

Just a bit of info on multiple input/output jacks.  I use the tape jacks for a CD recorder.  They have come in handy when I want to copy some older vinyl over to CD.  There are some times when a CD copy is a lot easier to deal with, particularly when I'm playing "background" music.

We used to offer an "RB" chassis that had only two line inputs and a tape in (three total).  There was only a volume control and two input switches.  It was the true minimalist design; however, it was also a poor seller.  We only did one run of faceplates and it took a long time to sell them.  I really liked the design, but most people want the added flexibility of the SL and EC chassis.

Larry

plaf26

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2006, 03:11 pm »
Thanks, Larry.  I use a CD recorder also for the same reasons you do (and cassette and open reel decks too, but those just for playback).  And the stereo-mono switch is a must for playing mono LPs.  The balance control?  I mostly use it to check if the components are hooked up right--if I turn it to the left and the music moves to the right, I know something's backwards!  On the other hand, there may be situations where a room arrangement causes one to be closer to one channel's speaker than the other and the balance control would be important.  As far as inputs are concerned, you can never have too many!  You never know what new sources are lurking over the horizon.

Nick B

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2006, 03:40 pm »
I need a balance control due to furniture placement because of my small living room. Even moving to a larger house, it is a function I would want.

ricmon

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2006, 05:33 pm »
I'll be picking up a reel to reel from a friend (the previuos owner of his house left it with some pre-recorded tapes).  I'm not that intrested in it but I think it may be fun to play with.  I'm glad I can hook the thing up and give it a try.

parker16

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2006, 02:40 pm »
I like the additional inputs/controls. I listen to FM more than any source, even though I have a CD player and AVA DAC. I tend to listen to distant stations and the mono switch cleans up weak distant stations. I have a T7 in the SL chassis and a Super PAS 4i in the RB. I still use the RB in my office system, but would like to have the mono switch in it as well. It is good to have the multiple inputs, as I frequently have a tuner, CD player, and cassette deck connected all at once and dub from one to another. The balance control is usefull for doing a quick check on speakers and necessary in some of my listening rooms because of seating arrangements. Thanks AVA for useful, versatile gear!

pat5jfet

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2006, 01:42 am »
rockadanny is actually on to something.  We build our elecronics for the previous technologies.  Tape monitor loops are an example.  We are rapidly moving to digital storage of our music, this is not tape (or CD).  So why stick with having tape monitor loops and all the problems with monitor loops?  Note the use of buffers by AVA for monitor loops.  

So what are audio engineers doing to help us integrate our stereo/HT systems with digital storage?  What about linking to our computers?

WEEZ

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2006, 10:05 pm »
I've posted before regarding tape loops..as I am an old fart and still use a tape deck. (Quite often, actually :| )

But for the discussion here, It doesn't matter whether one uses a tape deck or not..or a CD recorder..or a DAT machine..or a computer based recorder. The AVA pre-amps provide for (6) inputs; (2) record outputs; and (2) main outputs. If you don't use the record outputs-then so what? You still have (6) inputs (or 8 on the EC). Just cap off the unused inputs of outputs and be done with it.

What am I missing here?

WEEZ

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2006, 10:40 pm »
..I meant: Just cap off the unused inputs OR outputs...

(forgot to spellcheck :oops: )

WEEZ

avahifi

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2006, 12:03 am »
Whoops - - - - DO NOT CAP OFF UNUSED OUTPUTS!  This (depending upon what kind of a "cap" you use), may short out the main used outputs (they are in parallel) and your sources at the tape outputs.

Unused inputs (except for tape inputs) are shorted by the selector switch action in any event, so capping off anything is simply a waste of time and money.

Frank Van Alstine

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2006, 03:04 pm »
Thanks for the info Frank, I was wondering about caps!

WEEZ

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2006, 10:38 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up Frank. I have actually never capped off an output 'cause I always used 'em all :)

I have capped inputs before when I lived in a bigger city with lots of RFI. Just used caps..NOT shorting plugs. It helped.

The point of my post was-and I'll paraphrase- 'so what if you've got inputs you don't use..just don't use 'em.

Thanks again for the heads-up...

WEEZ

Feanor

No! No! No!
« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2006, 11:44 am »
Quote from: rockadanny
Two "TAPE OUT"s, two "TAPE IN"s, and a "TUNER IN" ... I don't need any of these. Can the pre-amp be built without these to save on cost?

I only wish to connect my CD player and DVD player as input sources. I see a "CD IN". Would I be able to use the "SPARE IN" or "SPECIAL IN" for a DVD Player? What is the difference between "SPARE" and "SPECIAL"?

Down with minimalist pre-amps!  I want full-function like the EC or maybe more so -- especially RC input selection.

Personally I don't need Tape Ins & Outs, but the External Loop is highly desirable.