Force and Magnepan 1.6

Parnelli777

Force and Magnepan 1.6
« on: 2 Apr 2006, 07:19 pm »
Just ordered, but have not received the Force sub.

Any tips or suggestions from other Magnepan owners regarding what filter and phase settings you like, etc.? I have 2 sets of outputs on my preamp, so I'd like to go from the L/R preamp outputs to the Force line level L/R inputs with 2 Blue Jeans sub cables that I already have.

I'm new to the subwoofer world, in that I've never owned one, but am very much looking forward to this sub as it is very well spoken of in general, and with the Magnepans as well.

Thanks for any input on this.

Harry P2

Force and Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2006, 11:58 am »
I don't currently own Maggies bu have in the past. I do own a pair of Force subs. You will be able to get the Force to blend perfectly but there really is no magic answer to settings other than follow the steps in the manual and learn what changing each setting does. When i first got the Force I bugged ACI for how to set it up and then I finally just got down to it and wow! I would start with a very low crossover frequency and gradually work your way up. Then experiement with the phase.

MaxCast

Force and Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2006, 12:30 pm »
Does not ACI send a test cd with their subs?
If so. then you need a spl meter and your all set.
You can even try going through the subs xo to low pass your 1.6's.

Mike Dzurko

Force and Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2006, 06:59 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Does not ACI send a test cd with their subs?
If so. then you need a spl meter and your all set.
You can even try going through the subs xo to low pass your 1.6's.

Maxcast:

You're correct, we do supply a test CD, instructions, and Excel spreadsheet (optional) to measure and setup subs.  I don't recommend using the fixed high-pass in the sub, that is really a hold-over from the old days. If you want to high-pass, I'd use the separate passive high-pass filters . . . far more transparent. A lot of Maggie owners like to run them full-range and just bring the sub up underneath . . .

drcruz

Force and Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2006, 07:45 pm »
I do not have Maggies, but in my simple HT system I get the best sound running the speakers full range.

Even when I went to Tweeter's listening room, and I'll bet a soda pop that they have the demo systems crossed at 80 hz, the sound was harsh / edgy and not listenable (to me - and I'm no Golden Ear).

Parnelli777

Force and Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2006, 11:56 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I suppose I'm interested in hearing from current Magnepan/Force owners, and see if there's some consensus-for example using the high-pass filters or not. I did not purchase these with the sub, so I'll have to play with what I've got for awhile ;^)

My main concern now is that I don't think I'll know whether or not I need these high-pass filters.

MaxCast

Force and Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2006, 12:02 am »
I do not own maggies but I have gone from one sub to two and from passive xo to active xo.  I prefer active at 80Hz (tried 40 & 50Hz) through a Merchand xo.

I do believe you will be happy with your Force.  Down the road you may consider another Force and a active xo.

What amp are you using?

Parnelli777

Force and Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2006, 12:29 am »
What amp are you using?

Smart Devices 2X150VT, Wright WLA12A preamp.

Bear Heath

Magnepan 1.6 Settings
« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2006, 09:27 pm »
Parnelli,

I received a Force to mate with my 1.6 QRs about 60 days ago and I am very please with the integration of the sub. I have the Force in the corner about 3 feet from the right speaker.  Low pass 1 is between 42-45 degrees and Low pass 2 is the same. Phase is around 120 degrees and the volume is pretty low. I am driving the sub from the preamp with RCA splitters supplied by ACI and the DHLabs cables. I got the brass spikes a couple weeks after I received the Force and think the spikes added some clarity. I use a Rotel 991 amp

Good luck I think you will enjoy the addition.

Parnelli777

Force and Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2006, 12:01 am »
Thanks all.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Force and Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2006, 06:26 pm »
Parnelli ... in case you are still looking for info:

I use a pair of Force subs with my MG 1.6s and they sound fantasic.  I'm running them from the pre-outs of my amp (PS Audio GCC-100) with the following settings.

- Low-pass 1 at about 50-55hz (hard to tell on the little knobs)
- Low-pass 2 at 65hz
- Phase at 45 degrees
- Volume at the first hash mark (one quarter?)

Though they sounded great and integrated well right out of the box, it took a lot of playing around to get them optimized.  I'm not sure they are perfectly dialed in just yet, but for the moment I'm leaving them as is.  

The provided test disc, Excel chart and a db meter helped a great deal, though I drove my wife and our pets crazy playing and measuring the different frequencies over and over and over.

By the way, the two Force subs replaced a Vandersteen 2WQ in my system.  I can say that I don't miss the 2WQ at all and the Force subs integrate every bit as well.

I also DO NOT use high-pass filters, preferring to run my Maggies full range.  The Vandersteen required the use of a high-pass (just a capacitor in line before the power amp), which I found affected the sound in a negative way.  Though quantitatively not a huge difference, I decided to keep the signal path as clean as possible.

Additionally, I use the home theater input on the Force subs for the .1 channel when listening to multi-channel SACD/DVD-A.  Both the pre-out from my main two-channel amp and the sub out from my Pre-pro are connected at the same time.  I can then dial down the bass as necessary at the Pre-Pro to match the main speakers.

Hope this helps ... the Force is a fantastic sounding sub and its adjustment/hookup options are phenomenal.

Parnelli777

Force and Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2006, 11:59 pm »
Thank you, glad to hear that.