Just got my RM30m order in the queue....

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
bc
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2006, 04:38 am »
This seems the day for bashing my views on speaker design, filter design, or anything else.

It is impolite to post to a manufacturer's forum just to make fun of his design philosophy.  References to well-known texts and white papers don't impress me, but might influence others who come here to learn about VMPS, and not about your negative opinions of me.

You can join diy-freak in the No Longer Welcome Here group.  Post at Audio Central or Two Channel if you must, but not here.

warnerwh

« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2006, 05:28 am »
Anybody who knows anything about speaker design knows it's not pure science.  All things aren't presently measureable.  Being also something of an art is what separates the best of the best from the also rans.

It seems there's two types of scientists and engineers. Those that only know what they are taught and can only think in that closed box and those who can think for themselves.  It would seem that all progress could only be made by those who try to work beyond the boundaries of empirical data.

About a hundred years ago the head of the U.S. Patent office wanted to close it because everything had already been invented.

The people who come here that are no more than hobbyists have neither decades of experience and successes nor the inclination or they wouldn't be asking these type of questions. They'd understand there may be much more to it.  

The boards at Partsexpress.com and Madisound.com are for the amateur diyer's and have very good people to help.  You guys should learn everything you can there and then build a speaker that amazes people for the money.  Then you will get the respect of the engineers and scientists who have earned it the old fashioned way, by doing it!

dubravko

« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2006, 09:40 am »
Quote from: warnerwh
It seems there's two types of scientists and engineers. Those that only know what they are taught and can only think in that closed box and those who can think for themselves.

Very well said. However, those who think for themselves also need to prove it in their work. This is also acomplished at VMPS a number of times, but for some, it's never enough.

diy_freak

Challenge
« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2006, 01:13 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
This seems the day for bashing my views on speaker design, filter design, or anything else.

It is impolite to post to a manufacturer's forum just to make fun of his design philosophy.  References to well-known texts and white papers don't impress me, but might influence others who come here to learn about VMPS, and not about your negative opinions of me.

I've been nothing but polite and straightforward in the post that make up what you call "Bashing/Make fun of/Negative/Impolite". In the meanwhile you have avoided addressing my valid points and questions while hiding behind a patent (which under different circumstances could have been a valid point) and pushing me into the some naysayer's camp and the textbook schoolboy's club of dinky toy diy speaker building. I ask you, who is being impolite here?

I'm not here to discuss your design philosophy or bashing anything. I've never heard a speaker by VMPS, so I can't and won't comment on their qualities at all. I'm addressing a claim you made a page ago.

Brian, your claim to hear a difference of 1/100% (that's 0.01uF on a 100uF cap) in capacitance in a first order filter design is simply not the truth, no matter what the system's directivity is. If you can prove that you are consistently able to hear a difference in a controlled test, with a first order filter design in this soon to be patented design by VMPS, I will buy a pair of your top-of-the-line loudspeaker. If not, you (...?). The controlled test would have to be executed 'blindly' of course, the exact conditions would have to be known to all involved prior to the test and lead by 'impartial judges'. That excludes the VMPS dealer who thinks he is helping you out in this thread by focussing on the person and not the issue...

I would happily provide two capacitors with the aforementioned difference in capacitance value if the cap value isn't too large, say <15uF, because I don't feel like spending a fortune on this test: it will most likely take a lot of time to match the caps to be that close to eachother. I suppose you wouldn't mind if the difference were a little larger... I never carry more than 20 of the same cap brand and value and I'm not about to buy a few hundred huge caps to arrive at the tolerance you seem to find worthwhile.

You can join diy-freak in the No Longer Welcome Here group.  Post at Audio Central or Two Channel if you must, but not here.
Unless there is some sort of hidden rule I'm breaking, I'll just keep posting in a polite and constructive way to any post I see fit. A good discussion has the tendency to make all the participants better, which is something you could think about.

Maybe I missed something here, but is audiocircle a forum where one discusses audio equipment or is it a cheap place for manufacturers to advertise and make any claims they wish in front of an eager audience that doesn't question a word? Please don't say I'm being impolite 'again' by asking this question...

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
bc
« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2006, 01:42 pm »
What part of You Are Not Welcome Here don't you understand?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2006, 01:55 pm »
Hello diy-freak,

Maybe I missed something here, but is audiocircle a forum where one discusses audio equipment or is it a cheap place for manufacturers to advertise and make any claims they wish in front of an eager audience that doesn't question a word?

I think we should respect any man in his own house. Don't you?  We can certainly ask about different aspects of his design.  But it would be polite to take any questions leading to refutation of that claim out of his house.  As Brian said, you can take your questions -- which (the original one asking about how CD afffects capacitance of first order crossover) I think is a good question -- to a neutral circle.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2006, 02:03 pm »
DIY_Freak,

Just simply move your post to to a different circle and you can continue your comments.

George

diy_freak

« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2006, 02:16 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
What part of You Are Not Welcome Here don't you understand?
:cuss:
Quote from: woodsyi
Hello diy-freak,

I think we should respect the man in his own house. Don't you?
Thank you for your calm reply. I think a few things that lead to respect is 'open discussion' and 'showing' respect. I haven't seen much of both since asking a straigtforward question.

Quote from: zybar
DIY_Freak,

Just simply move your post to to a different circle and you can continue your comments.

George
I guess I could, but I imagine I would get the same response from Brian, so I'll just end it here. Too bad. Discussions should be helpfull to all.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2006, 02:22 pm »
Quote from: diy_freak
Quote from: woodsyi
Hello diy-freak,

I think we should respect the man in his own house. Don't you?
Thank you for your calm reply. I think a few things that lead to respect is 'open discussion' and 'showing' respect. I haven't seen much of both since asking a straigtforward question.

Quote from: zybar
DIY_Freak,

George
I guess I could, but I imagine I would get the same response from Brian, so I'll just end it here. Too bad. Discussions should be helpfull to all.

Brian isn't a moderator of any circle outside of his.  As long as you have a civilized discussion (like you have been doing), there won't be any issues.  

George

theborg

« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2006, 03:02 pm »
OK, Hans, you and Dr Krull have been asked to desist from posting in the VMPS circle. So that's it, kindly stop posting here or I'll just do what I have to do. Thanks :roll: