Power Conditioning for Nu force?

bikes and beats

« on: 27 Mar 2006, 06:39 pm »
This may be an issue with my hookup pattern. When both Ref 8.02's are plugged straight into the wall of the same outlet, they create a hum/hiss.  When I plug them into my cheap-o power strip, and that into the wall, silence. So in order to get better sonics w/o spending a bunch of dough (<$300), what sort of power conditioner should I try? FYI, I've had this problem before with two removable-cord components sharing an outlet and generating a hum.
Thanks!
-Mike

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2006, 07:07 pm »
Hey Mike,

Greetings form Arvada!  

I use the Brickwall (www.brickwall.com) on the NuForces and they seem to work just fine.  I don't sell them, I just recommend them.

Regards,

Mike
TweekGeek.com

WRP

Re: Power Conditioning for Nu force?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2006, 07:08 pm »
I recently purchased a Naim NANA power strip which works really well.  This particular power strip provides star grounding across all outlets and has no current limiting whatsover.  In fact, there are no fuses, caps, lights, etc. to interfere with the signal.  Even the power cord is captive.

I replaced my Shunyata Hydra 6w/ Python power cord and immediately noticed greater dynamics, better bass and better transients.

The NANA lists for $350.  Hope this helps!

Occam

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2006, 02:08 pm »
The problem you describe sounds like one of bad connections/fault in your outlet. Replace the outlet with a spec or audio grade outlet of your choice, and see if that specific problem still persists. Fix the problem at the source prior to implementing downstream bandaids.

bikes and beats

My inexpensive solution...
« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2006, 09:17 pm »
Wireworld 9-outlet power strip available from Gene Rubin Audio. I got mine off Ebay and for $50 I'm super-glad I did. My issue was pronounced hiss from both ref. 8.02's plugged into the wall. Seems sharing the same ground solves this problem as my cheap Wal-mart power stip showed me. So I went on the hunt for improved dynamics and came upon Gene's auction. He promised and  delvered. Don't spend more!
-Mike

rbrb

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2006, 05:25 pm »
Quote from: cryotweaks
Hey Mike,

Greetings form Arvada!  

I use the Brickwall (www.brickwall.com) on the NuForces and they seem to work just fine.  I don't sell them, I just recommend them.

Regards,

Mike
TweekGeek.com

Do you know of a online retailer that sells Brick Wall units at a discount?

Halfdeaf

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2006, 11:45 pm »
The Brick Wall units are actually manufactured by ZeroSurge.  

OEM units are available cheaper here: http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/howtoorderres.html

rbrb

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2006, 03:33 pm »
Quote from: Halfdeaf
The Brick Wall units are actually manufactured by ZeroSurge.  

OEM units are available cheaper here: http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/howtoorderres.html

Thanks Halfdeaf.  It appears that ZeroSurge builds units specifically for Brick Wall that are intended for audio.  The outlets are isolated from each other.

mmakshak

Re: Power Conditioning for Nu force?
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2006, 03:33 pm »
  I also use the Wireworld power strip from Gene Rubin Audio with my Nuforce 8b's and the rest of my system.  I don't know how it compares, but for little money, they have a audiophile argument for its use.