My take on the 8th Nerve Products

Chazz

« on: 21 May 2003, 04:13 pm »
First off, I should say that the service that I received for my order from Bill was first rate.  Bill was very quick to reply to my emails and kindly marked where I should put the eigth nerve products on the photos of my room that I had sent.

Upon Bill's recommendation I ordered 7 corners and 2 Seam packs.  They arrived to HK from NY in a few days and were neatly packed.

The seams were lighter and thinner than I had expected.  This meant that they were easy to place on the walls with some velcro.  However, their size made me wonder....hmmmm....is this going to really improve my sound?

Well, after spending some time putting them up, I sat down for the big test.  

The improvements were subtle yet noticeable.   Firstly, the voices sounded more natural and clear - more "in the room" to borrow the audiophile babble.  Second, there was more detail to the music.  I was noticing little instruments that I didn't notice before on a few of my CDs.  Thirdly, there seemed to be more "ambience" and air to the music.  I played a favourite piano piece and noticed that each key had a definitive decay that I didn't notice before.  Lastly, but perhaps most significanty, my soundstage has widened.  The left side of my soundstage was always compressed as I live in an L shped room, but now the left and right feel more balanced.  This is something which I could not fix with a component change.

All in all, for US$500, I believe the eight nerve products are definitely worthy of consideration. :)

Charles

:)  :)  :)

WilliamL

« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2003, 09:18 pm »
Glad to hear it Charles. You have a pretty tricky room there. Its really cool that the products got to you so quickly in Hong Kong. Doing business in Asia has been a pleasure so far for all of us at Eighth Nerve.

Happy listening.

Thanks and Best,
Bill :thumb:

Guan

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2003, 01:42 am »
My experiences mirror yours, Charles. Bill's Room Pack definitely helped tame a nasty low bass boom in my living room. I now have speakers than go down to 25Hz but the bass is not overpowering. :wink:

Bill: After following your instructions, I still have 2 extra seams. Any suggestions what should I do with them?

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2003, 02:02 am »
Quote from: Guan

Bill: After following your instructions, I still have 2 extra seams. Any suggestions what should I do with them?

I think you could make them into the underwear that Sumo wrestlers wear  :lol:

Guan

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2003, 02:14 am »
I think you could make them into the underwear that Sumo wrestlers wear

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don't quite have the girth to do them justice... yet! :P

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2003, 02:23 am »
So far I am really impressed with my 8th Nerve stuff too.

I was able to get rid of some other acoustic foam without sacrificing anything.  In fact my room was overdamped with it and when I got rid of it, I got back some treble (mainly shimmer on cymbals) that I had been missing.

Funny thing is it brings them out on vinyl, but it didn't seem to effect (increase) CD's treble any noticeable amount.

Juan R

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2003, 05:27 am »
I spoke with Kris last week, sent diagram and pictures the same day, even sent an e-mail yesterday, no answer yet.

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2003, 11:18 am »
Hey guys,

I justed ordered a roompack and 2 extra seams from Bill as well for my
room treatments.  Should be arriving tomorrow or Saturday, so I'll let you know how things go.

NB

WilliamL

« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2003, 01:10 pm »
Guan: Try one of those seams on the ceiling above your listening position or half way between the speakers and listening position. The other seam can be used on your side or rear wall to augement what is there already. Let me look at your room pictures again.

Juan: You are in good hands with Kris. No worries!

Marbles: Hmmm....You may have just found a new market for us with your Sumo idea. Maybe I should contact specialized sporting goods stores in Japan.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Cheers,
Bill

Obie

*#*&@($&*@$&*!!! Email.
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2003, 01:41 pm »
Juan,

Our lines of communication seems to be royally fouled up.  I've private messaged you, and I will call you this morning to get us back on track.  My sincere apologies for your wait for rec's.  It'll teach me to rely on email.

With thanks,
Kris