Scan-Speak Reference

DSK

Re: Scan-Speak Reference
« Reply #100 on: 4 Nov 2006, 12:50 pm »
60 hours on the sealed SSR's now. They sounded very good, though slightly constipated, up to 40 hours then strangely clean but a little lifeless from 40 to 50 hours. However, they seemed to really loosen/open up at about the 50 hour mark and sounded awesome today during the entire 7.5 hour listening session (I couldn't even stop for lunch  :lol:). They are very neutral and transparent, you get everything that is in the recording. They have a wonderful 'continuousness', totally seamless. My feet were tapping all day.

Hey Fenomeno, are you out there? How are your ported pair going?

PS. drmike, I PM'd you with a bunch of box design info.

« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2006, 12:47 am by DSK »

drmike

« Reply #101 on: 4 Nov 2006, 09:40 pm »
hey dsk,
no mail yet.
drmike

DSK

« Reply #102 on: 5 Nov 2006, 12:46 am »
hey dsk,
no mail yet.
drmike
Strange, I sent the PM a few days ago ... a copy is sitting in my Sent box and looks like it transmitted OK. I have just sent it again. Lemme know.  :D

drmike

« Reply #103 on: 5 Nov 2006, 05:51 pm »
hey dsk,
no mail yet, please try:
drkingweeb@yahoo.com
thanks,
drmike

DSK

« Reply #104 on: 5 Nov 2006, 11:33 pm »
hey dsk,
no mail yet, please try:
drkingweeb@yahoo.com
thanks,
drmike

Hmmm, sorry to ask a "suck eggs" question but ... it is your Audio Circle private message inbox that you are checking right?
Are you receiving PM's successfully from other AC members? Your in-box isn't full by any chance?

Anyway, I'll send it to your yahoo address now ...

drmike

« Reply #105 on: 6 Nov 2006, 05:32 pm »
hey dsk,
sorry for the mix up, got your messages.
thanks,
drmike

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #106 on: 6 Nov 2006, 05:41 pm »
hey dsk,
sorry for the mix up, got your messages.
thanks,
drmike

Happy to hear that you guys are working together. I'm  sending out more SSR kits to Wisconsin and Brooklyn  :thumb:

Fenomeno

« Reply #107 on: 11 Nov 2006, 10:39 pm »
DSK  DARREN DSK DARREN DSK DARREN!!!!!!!!

I just read the GOOD news!  You are up and running, eh?  Congratulations!!!!  The speakers look beautiful.

I see your comments are very similar to mine.  Interesting to hear another pair of ears reinforce what I thought.  I agree with you that for the money, they just plain deliver everything...some things more than others...but a slice of it all.  I am in heaven with my system.  I thought I had a tweeter problem, then an amp problem and then it turns out it was a TUBE problem....  At least, a tube swap did the trick.

I find the Odyssey Extreme a GREAT match for SSR. 

Here is another story about the SSR.  I tried the Rega Planet 2000 in my system and found it unsatifying.  I just nailed my issues with it the moment it played its first note.  These SSR are extremely revealing.  Not dissecting, just revealing.  Therefore, any change is made apparent, for better or worse. In the case of the Rega, it was my opinion that it was worse.  Funny though, I could understand its appeal, but the SSR revealed certain flaws in the player that were the exact opposite of the ones in my present one.  So, I opted to stick with my original player.

As you have been achieving, I also have been improving my system on a less cost per component/more value for the dollar basis.  In fact, someone can buy my entire rig for less than 4000 dollars.  In audiophile terms, that is the price of a component or two at best. (cables for some)  But it just plays so nicely and I haven't heard another system that creates such a musical soundstage for nearly this LITTLE money.  I picked up a turntable used (systemdek IIx) and have been exploring vinyl again.  Jesus it's been a while since I have had so much fun with a "stereo."  Hell, I even received a guitar stand as a gift, to keep my average joe acoustic on display, and find myself playing along with some of those nostalgic songs again...

So, to answer your question, I am enjoying my system immensely, and those SSR's are a good reason why that is so.  I said it from the minute I began posting, Rick has a gem on his hands.  I'd like to think I had a tiny part in this...suggesting the driver combo...but ALL of the credit belongs with Rick.  I just thank my lucky stars I stumbled upon Audio Circle and Rick's website. 

Now, if we had 3 more SSR speakers, we would have the MOST AMAZING surround system (for audio and movies)........

Keep me posted on the listening Darren.  You will find those faults I am sure, but they will not distract you from enjoying the speaker.  How they compare to the Ambiences, that is another story and one worth hearing.....if you should be so inclined to remove the SSR from your system.

Final question: What speaker cables are you using?  I have been using a homemade speaker cable and have good results.  I have used a variant of these for years (and yes I have tried MIT, Cardas, Kimber) but always return to these.  Each cable is a 4 conductor by 14 ga.  Quite hefty.  Perhaps too much so....

It is a sick world.....in Selah land. (but it sure sounds nice)

DSK

« Reply #108 on: 14 Nov 2006, 01:05 am »
Hi James, good to hear from you. It certainly sounds like we are on similar paths and have very similar perceptions of the SSR's.

I will do a more in depth evaluation and comparison to my Ambiences after further break in and optimisation (positioning, toe-in, sub integration etc etc). For now, let me just say that the SSR's will not be leaving my system.  :drool:

As for speaker cables, my path in recent years has been:
1) Harmonic Technology Pro-9 bi-wire
2) Harmonic Technology Pro-11 (bi-wired with 2 separate pairs)
3) Synergistic Research Resolution Reference (top) + Synergistic Research Signature II (bass)
4) prototype cables (single run) by Prof. Eichmann (better than the marketed Eichmann cables)

The Eichmann cables are my current cables (for the last few years), improving upon the very expensive pairs of Synergistic cables. I am about to try a pair of Gregg Straley's Reality Cables.

I agree that the SSR's are very revealing and articulate, though in a very smooth and refined manner, revealing greater differences between various recordings and giving backup vocalists their own identity rather than sounding like a blur of the lead vocalist, etc. I can now understand various lyrics that I was guessing at before.

Bigger speakers and drivers will provide bigger dynamics etc (though this largely disappears when combined with a top notch sealed sub and the integration is properly optimised), but I have never heard a speaker system (regardless of price) that I found as well balanced, holistic, involving and enjoyable.

Cheers,
Darren.

Fenomeno

« Reply #109 on: 14 Nov 2006, 02:49 am »
c'mon Darren, tell us what you really think! :wink:

it's hard not to be impressed without sounding like a newbee, isn't it?

your comments regarding clarity of lyrics was what I was trying to describe myself a few months ago

I've resorted to telling listeners these speakers cost over 2000 dollars a pair to gain their respect first, then watch them listen...without saying a word

this week I have a friend with a critical ear coming from Italy, to the States, for a wedding. i'll place him in the sweet spot and see what he thinks, he's beginning to look for bookshelf speakers for his new apartment  :wink:

so Darren, does this mean you may actually make money after you sell the ambiences  :lol:

DSK

« Reply #110 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:52 am »
At about the 75 hour mark the SSR's really seemed to come on song, so I'm assuming that they are all but totally broken in now.

Today I did a more thorough integration of the sub and, at the listening seat, I now measure +/-5db (reference of 85db at 1khz) from 16hz-200hz. This is raw data, no smoothing applied. The sub's gain was barely changed from the initial quick and dirty setup, but its LP filter frequency was reduced further to remove a bump of 6db from approx 60hz-90hz. The sealed SSR's are running full range.

The SSR's (with sub) were already more transparent and coherent than my former ribbons (with same sub), but now they have electrostatic-like transparency, transient attack and speed, but with the dynamics, palpability and immersion of cones.

So, sorry Rick, apparently my earlier gushing was actually understating just how good the SSR's are with a properly integrated, well damped, sealed sub.  :oops:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #111 on: 15 Nov 2006, 04:59 pm »
At about the 75 hour mark the SSR's really seemed to come on song, so I'm assuming that they are all but totally broken in now.

Today I did a more thorough integration of the sub and, at the listening seat, I now measure +/-5db (reference of 85db at 1khz) from 16hz-200hz. This is raw data, no smoothing applied. The sub's gain was barely changed from the initial quick and dirty setup, but its LP filter frequency was reduced further to remove a bump of 6db from approx 60hz-90hz. The sealed SSR's are running full range.

The SSR's (with sub) were already more transparent and coherent than my former ribbons (with same sub), but now they have electrostatic-like transparency, transient attack and speed, but with the dynamics, palpability and immersion of cones.

So, sorry Rick, apparently my earlier gushing was actually understating just how good the SSR's are with a properly integrated, well damped, sealed sub.  :oops:

More SSR kits ship out today to New Hampshire and Wisconsin  8)

drmike

« Reply #112 on: 15 Nov 2006, 05:48 pm »
hey rick,
i'm psyched!
drmike (new hampshire)

ichillpill

« Reply #113 on: 21 May 2010, 08:29 pm »
Thanks to all who put in their comments and reviews about the SSR.I've been looking to upgrade for the past year and had a budget of 1k for the mains. And I just went over by a hundred!

Just completed a pair of front ported SSR's in a floorstanding cabinet a few days ago and I've been appreciating my music collection again. WOW! I know it's been said before but WOW! :drool:

Neutral, excellent imaging (right where the tv is), clarity, and balance. I listened to Josh Groban on David Foster's Hit Man Blu Ray and it was like "So that's how Josh is supposed to sound." It was like Josh had a thinner voice on my previous speakers. Andrea Bocelli was magical. The midrange and tweeter don't fight each other, everything is coherent. Instruments are distinct yet not analytical.  :thumb:

I also listened to Yo Yo Ma's Brazil CD - You can clearly imagine Yo Yo Ma as he is about to strike that Cello and hear the vibration on the strings and tweaking from string to string...Can I say it was close to a live performance?

Also listened to Dave Matthews and Tim Reynold's...pure beauty

I have only about 20 hours on these with about 3 hours of critical listening and the rest playing the radio at a very low volume to break them in. Initially (about an hour) I noticed the tweeter was constrained and a bit harsh but last night it opened up beautifully. Along with a sealed Rythmik F15 for the bass, the combination is just dynamic. What more can you ask for? Thank you Rick for this beautiful design. I just can't reiterate enough how balanced, clear, and impactful my system is now. I'm using a HT Receiver for now and wonder how much better these will sound with a good amp (have to save up again...) :cry:

Cacophonix

« Reply #114 on: 21 May 2010, 11:24 pm »
The SSR are great speakers!  :thumb:
I ran mine with a sony ES receiver, and didn't feel the need for any more power than that. They sounded wonderful, and like you mentioned pin point imaging.

What are the dimensions of your floor standers?

ichillpill

« Reply #115 on: 22 May 2010, 12:39 am »
They are 42" high including the base. Everything else is the same as on the Selah website for a ported enclosure but with a false bottom. I'll post pics in a bit.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 03:16 am by ichillpill »

ichillpill

« Reply #116 on: 22 May 2010, 03:11 am »

jayeph

« Reply #117 on: 23 May 2010, 06:52 am »
Awesome setup ichillpill. Any details on the cabinet?

ichillpill

« Reply #118 on: 23 May 2010, 06:47 pm »
The cabinet maker was able to build the pair for $320. I had to keep the build as simple as possible and use gloss white paint instead of veneer to keep costs down. The dimensions are the same as a front ported SSR all made with MDF but with a false bottom right below the port. I instructed the cabinet maker to make the whole speaker 42" total height with a 1" base. It took him about a week and a half to make.

I have the SSRs now hooked up to a ClassDaudio 120wpc and now I can hear more detail, clarity and control. I can't say enough great things that haven't been already mentioned.  :thumb:

Awesome setup ichillpill. Any details on the cabinet?