Need toslink fiber to coax for newly acquired SP2

lbouchard

« on: 19 Mar 2006, 10:07 pm »
because the SP2 has only 2 toslink fiber inputs I need a 3 converters from fiber to coax. Anyone has recommendations?

I am still wandering why Bryston chose coax over fiber??? most of my equipment exept my DVD have fiber connection...

Phil A

« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2006, 04:51 am »
Are you saying you need more toslink inputs?  If so, perhaps this would work - http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=180-980&DID=7&raid=26&rak=180-980

Levi

Re: Need toslink fiber to coax for newly acquired SP2
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2006, 05:28 am »
Coax is less prone to jitter than Toslink connection.  To translate, coax sonically is better sounding and rugged.

Quote from: lbouchard
because the SP2 has only 2 toslink fiber inputs I need a 3 converters from fiber to coax. Anyone has recommendations?

I am still wandering why Bryston chose coax over fiber??? most of my equipment exept my DVD have fiber connection...

nicolasb

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2006, 11:25 am »
Coax is less prone to jitter than Toslink connection.

We-ell, maybe - but coverting an already-optical signal to coax isn't likely to improve the jitter. It's more likely to make it worse.

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2006, 04:06 pm »
Correct.  Normally, you don't convert toslink to coax or vice versa.  If you do, then you just degraded the signal.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2006, 04:26 pm »
Quote from: Levi
Correct.  Normally, you don't convert toslink to coax or vice versa.  If you do, then you just degraded the signal.

The only place I do this is for the HDTV Tuner in the main system which backs to the bedroom system and I have wires at sharp bends going thru the walls which would be a problem with the more fragile toslink (on a long cable) and I watch digital TV in the bedroom maybe three times a yr. on avg.  I agree it is not desirable to do it.

lbouchard

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2006, 12:08 am »
I understand that toslink to RCA degrade the signal but I have no other choice. I have 3 toslink only peripherals: xbox, xbox 360, HD tivo and HD Bell Express (same has Dish 622) and there is only 2 toslink inputs on the SP2. I need to convert at least 2 of them. what are my options?

Levi

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2006, 02:07 am »
You convert them or only plugged the unit if you are using them if it is convenient to do so.  

Congrats on the new SP2.  What do you used to have prior to the Bryston SP2?

I understand that toslink to RCA degrade the signal but I have no other choice. I have 3 toslink only peripherals: xbox, xbox 360, HD tivo and HD Bell Express (same has Dish 622) and there is only 2 toslink inputs on the SP2. I need to convert at least 2 of them. what are my options?

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2006, 02:12 am »

Did you not look at the partsexpress.com link I posted above?

It's description notes "It allows simple switching rather than disconnecting and reconnecting cables when optical inputs are limited. The compact design will fit in tight areas between components and it features an easy to use rotary switch with spring loaded locking mechanism. Includes 4 mini optical adapters when used with Toslink optical cables. "  It is 3 inputs and an output and is about $20.