Van Alstine Mosfet 120B Dynaco ST 120 AVA

audiojerry

« on: 19 Mar 2006, 07:14 pm »
Frank, do you remember this model from Jensens Stereo Shop?
Any nostalgia here?

Listens2tubes

« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2006, 10:29 pm »
I'm guessing you noticed this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9700701940&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1  Would make a good backup for some upcoming Mk IV tweaks.

Zheeeem

Re: Van Alstine Mosfet 120B Dynaco ST 120 AVA
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2006, 10:36 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Frank, do you remember this model from Jensens Stereo Shop?
Any nostalgia here?

I am actually still using a Mosfet 250B in my HT setup.  It remains a solid, stable performer.

GHM

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2006, 10:45 pm »
Oh man!! I had a Van Alstine Mosfet 120C Dynaco ST 120. Man I loved this amplifier!! I couldn't believe how good it sounded. I caused its demise by making a stupid mistake  :banghead: . I wish I still owned one. For the $100 I spent on it..pound for pound it was one of the best sounding amplifiers I've ever owned bar none.

I would buy another in a heart beat, if I could find one just like it in good condition.

ohenry

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2006, 01:23 pm »
Quote from: GHM
Oh man!! I had a Van Alstine Mosfet 120C Dynaco ST 120. Man I loved this amplifier!! I couldn't believe how good it sounded. I caused its demise by making a stupid mistake  :banghead: . I wish I still owned one. For the $100 I spent on it..pound for pound it was one of the best sounding amplifiers I've ever owned bar none.

I would buy another in a heart beat, if I could find one just like it in good condition.

How does that compare to the OmegaStar 170EX power amplifier?

GHM

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2006, 02:13 pm »
Hi Henry never heard the OmegaStar 170EX . If it's better than the 120C as Frank has told me in the past. Then it is a keeper. The 120c was one of those amplifiers that you never sell. It reminded me of the Monarchy SM70 in sound except it had tighter more prodigious bass and more transparent sounding. If I was asked to choose between it and the Mcintosh 7106 that I owned I would choose the 120C everytime. With the help of a friend we upgraded the binding post and RCA inputs..the difference was eye opening! :o

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2006, 03:00 pm »
I've been so tempted to have Frank transform a very clean ST120 into the 170EX for a while.  I better get serious before he stops doing it (sort of like the longhorn mod...).

Thanks for the reply.

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2006, 03:03 pm »
The Mos-Fet series of amplifiers were a great learning experience for us.  We learned and built new circuits for them that never allowed the internal circuits to overload short of clipping at more than full power.  That eliminated all the nasty edges and brightness of transient distortion effects.  The only limitation was that we had to limit the input bandwidth of the circuits to less than the maximum bandwidth of the output circuits, and we had not learned how to make the internal circuits super fast yet.

Now we have a huge bandwidth in our power amplifiers, the OmegaStar EX series are 3 db down at 500,000 HZ !!!!  Take that anybody else.  And that is the natural bandwidth of the cirucits, no feedforward compensation or other tricks to make an amp look better than it really is while introducing high frequency instabilities.  So of course now the input bandwidth acceptance is nearly unlimited.  The result is really dynamic, transparent and detailed sound with no glare or grain at all.

All of our older Mos-Fet series amplifiers (and all original Dynaco and Hafler amplifiers) can be upgraded to OmegaStars EX series amps, except for the integrated amplifiers.  Economics kept us from tooling new circuit cards just for these out of production models.

Frank Van Alstine

modular747

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2006, 04:10 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
Now we have a huge bandwidth in our power amplifiers, the OmegaStar EX series are 3 db down at 500,000 HZ ...

Do the FET-Valve and Ultra power amps have the same bandwidth?  What about your preamps?

daveshel

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2006, 06:49 pm »
Quote from: ohenry
I've been so tempted to have Frank transform a very clean ST120 into the 170EX for a while.  I better get serious before he stops doing it (sort of like the longhorn mod...).

Thanks for the reply.

I'm very happy with my 170EX. It sounds more like tubes than some tube gear I've heard.