rca and xlr outputs (both connected at once)

hakalugi

« on: 17 Mar 2006, 03:48 pm »
rca and xlr outputs (both connected at once) - but i don't want to use both  at once :)

i want to use the "other set" to push wires to an alternate set of amps that will push the outdoor speakers.

i don't plan on using both at once (xlr and rca) but want to be sure that if i connect my XLR that it doesn't 'mute' the RCA output.

anyone have both types connected at once?

thanks,

hak

Levi

Re: rca and xlr outputs (both connected at once)
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2006, 03:55 pm »
I have tried it in my SP1.7.  That's should work just fine.  You can also connect both the subwoofer XLR and RCA at the same time.  Both signals will be present at all times.  

Enjoy!

Quote from: hakalugi
rca and xlr outputs (both connected at once) - but i don't want to use both  at once :)

i want to use the "other set" to push wires to an alternate set of amps that will push the outdoor speakers.

i don't plan on using both at once (xlr and rca) but want to be sure that if i connect my XLR that it doesn't 'mute' the RCA output.

anyone have both types connected at once?

thanks,

hak

hakalugi

even better
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2006, 03:58 pm »
thanks levi

Sebastiaan de Vries

• http://www.soundevolution.nl
« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2006, 11:41 pm »
Dear,

It will work but I don't recommended. The pin2 of the balanced output will see a lower impedance then the pin3 (inverted). And this will lower the common mode noise reduction.

This is because the DOA output amp for the positive side of the signal flow wil see a parallel impedance of the unbalanced receiver and te pin2 input from the balancer receiver.

Best regards,
Bas

hakalugi

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2006, 11:50 pm »
"The pin2 of the balanced output will see a lower impedance then the pin3 (inverted). "

even if i don't use the other amps?  

ie:

1) my L/R out in HT room are rca from 1.7, my sub rca out too.
2) for my outdoor system, b/c of cable length, (50' mic cable) it's XLR and sub out will be XLR

when i use my HT the eq's/amps at end of the XLR (outdoor system) will be turned off.

when i use my outdoor system, the eq's/amps at the end of the rca cables will be turned off.

just tyring to be sure i'm communicating well by being specific :)

Sebastiaan de Vries

• http://www.soundevolution.nl
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2006, 04:22 pm »
Quote from: hakalugi

even if i don't use the other amps?  

ie:

1) my L/R out in HT room are rca from 1.7, my sub rca out too.
2) for my outdoor system, b/c of cable length, (50' mic cable) it's XLR and sub out will be XLR

Dear hakalugi,

Yes even if you turn the not in use amps off. The impedance in a input section excist of a passive resitor(s) between signal and ground or between pin2 and 3. So current will always flow. The impedance wil be always seen by the positive amplifier of the sp1.7.

Just try if you hear any difference in sound quality. My pre-countion is pure in technical ways. In praktisch you might don't hear any dis-advantage.

Best regards,
Bas

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2006, 04:34 pm »
Hi James;

The XLR balanced output will see the parallel loads of RCA and pin 2, but this will not make a noticeable difference to the noise rejection. The noise is still cancelled at the other end, being common-mode.  

Also, since the output impedance at the preamp is below 50 Ohms, the difference in loading is inconsequential.

Chris Russell