AKSA Phono Pre Vs Pro-Ject Phono Box

Oz_Audio

« on: 20 May 2003, 04:57 am »
I was in the local Hi Fi shop the other day and borrowed a Pro-Ject Phono Box to have a listen.

As you all may have read, both Malcolm and I love the sound from our AKSA phono's, but I have not had the chance to listen to other phono pre amps in my system.  

The Pro-Ject is a common phono pre and sold with thousands of turntables here in Oz.  But unfortunately, not in the same school, let alone class as the AKSA.  The bass and midrange blended into one sound with no body or depth.  The hi frequencies where over pronounced and lacking in detail.  I could go on, but I just turned it off and put it back in its box.

This may seem very one sided, but it was totally outclassed by the AKSA.

Now all I have to do is get hold of an EAR 835 and we may have a competition.  Does anyone in Sydney have one of these or other really good phono pre amps?  If so, bring them next week.

Mark
 :mrgreen:

peranders

« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2003, 11:00 am »
Pro-Ject is surprisingly simple, in a negative sense. I got schematics from a dude and the layout has even errors, according to him. some parts are not connected right. It's between the first and second opamp. I gather that Pro-ject will be outclassed by most amps over 150 USD.

Anyone who has a real schematics? I have only a "reversed engineered" one.

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2003, 11:03 pm »
HI Mark,

Thanks for your comparo;  always helpful for people to consider their options.

The phono pre is now available on the GK-1M version, and will also be available with the GK-1R, which hopefully will be on the streets within a month!  (I received the third batch of prototype pcbs last night!!  This is quite a tricky design, took three iterations to get right.)

Per-Anders, you'll be reassured to know there are no pcb or design errors anywhere in the GK-1 and phono option, but after you have examined the schematics you might let me know your opinion!!  (but you might have to buy one to get the schematics, unless there are digital pirates out there.........!)   :mrgreen:  

BTW, the phono option on the GK-1, on today's exchange rate, is just $US137, so I'm heaving a sigh of relief to know I come in just under your cutoff!   :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

peranders

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2003, 09:46 am »
If you want any input of your design, just email the schematics. I will treat it confidentially, like the last one.  I'm afraid I have no intention to buy :roll:

I don't buy RIAA amps, I make them.

I say like my university teacher in semiconductor science:

I: What...in Hitachi mosfets? (I asked about the built-iin zener)

T: I don't know. I haven't build anything with Mosfets (or anything else actually!), I make them only.

Not many people can answer that he makes semiconductors, but he really did at the research lab. Isn't it typical: A teacher who teaches stuff he doesn't know about practically.