Subwoofer for Omega 3 and Super T amp --- updated

kfr01

« Reply #40 on: 17 Mar 2006, 11:44 pm »
Quote from: CJ Paul
Here is the REL information I was referring to.  Take all the issue you want, makes not difference to me.  Yes, they are ground plane measurements but if you take issue with the technique then you pretty much take issue with SVS and every other non-gigantic sub manufacturer out there because this is the standard measurement and evaluation technique.  I guess you can take comfort that those aren't the subs you own.

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=13370&start=0&rid=14&SQ=1127556373

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=13368&start=0&rid=14&SQ=1127556913

Wow.  Horrible thd numbers.  Thank you for the links.

tyee

« Reply #41 on: 17 Mar 2006, 11:59 pm »
I talked to Creativesound.ca today regarding the Adire and they said Adire is going thru changes and supply is not there right now. Anyone ordered the RAVA Mk.II lately?

Sarchi

« Reply #42 on: 18 Mar 2006, 01:42 am »
The RAW Acoustics SX-10 also appears to be the identical "Adire" sub.  I've emailed them also.

I've also changed the topic title to hopefully avoid any confusion, since the discussion has veered off on a tangent specific to Tripath chip amplifiers.

tyee

« Reply #43 on: 18 Mar 2006, 03:55 am »
Wow, I learned today that I work about 5 minutes from Raw Acoustics. Small world!! I've got to check them out!

Sarchi

« Reply #44 on: 24 Mar 2006, 01:55 am »
Well, I made my decision and ordered this kit today.  Looks like it's worth the $350.  Shipping is free to the lower 48.

And word is that the PE sub amp is copacetic with the Tripath amp's speaker taps.

tyee

« Reply #45 on: 24 Mar 2006, 04:17 am »
Sarchi
   Let us know how it goes.

I read Wes Philips review on it and it was very positive.

I called Raw Acoustics a few days ago and talked to Al for 25 minutes. Very nice guy! He said there will be supply problems with Adire for another 3 to 6 months, unfortunatly. I also called Acoustic Visions and the MRS-10 is now discontinued, as shown on the website.

So, I guess I'm still waiting to hear of more successes of matching. BTW, I am using the Aperiodic A8 (B200) Omega speakers.

Sarchi

« Reply #46 on: 24 Mar 2006, 04:30 am »
Quote from: tyee
Sarchi
   Let us know how it goes.

I read Wes Philips review on it and it was very positive.

I called Raw Acoustics a few days ago and talked to Al for 25 minutes. Very nice guy! He said there will be supply problems with Adire for another 3 to 6 months, unfortunatly. I also called Acoustic Visions and the MRS-10 is not available fully built anymore, only a kit.

So, I guess I'm still waiting to hear of more successes of matching. BTW, I am using the Aperiodic A8 (B200) Omega speakers.

Yep, I should've mentioned I also contacted RAW, as well as Acoustic Visions and Creative Sound.  Same story from all three, I guess the small "Adire" sub kit is a thing of the past now.  Although, CS still has some finished cabinets left, on clearance for cheap...if you're ambitious maybe you can work something out.  I lack the tools and skills,
and it seemed to me the MRS-10 worked well because the driver was special... XBL^2 and all that.

Btw, the driver used was a Destijl made in the US (Nevada), I guess that's part of the supply issue.

Will definitely post my results with the Dickason here.

Sarchi

« Reply #47 on: 28 Mar 2006, 03:19 pm »
I got it set up last night- everything's working perfectly... and I think it;s a pretty awesome sub for the price*. I'm happy.  A breeze to put together--they addressed the issues Wes Philips had in his review.

(at least for my small room... 9 x 12')

HMOG this is like hearing DSOTM for the first time...Wow!

:)  :)

dgu

great, so how do you hook it up?
« Reply #48 on: 28 Mar 2006, 03:28 pm »
Sarchi-

Can you help a novice out by describing in some detail how you have the sub and the omegas hooked up to the Super T?  I think I'm definitely going to order that sub, but am still hazy on how to set it all up.  Thanks!

Sarchi

Re: great, so how do you hook it up?
« Reply #49 on: 28 Mar 2006, 04:36 pm »
Quote from: dgu
Sarchi-

Can you help a novice out by describing in some detail how you have the sub and the omegas hooked up to the Super T?  I think I'm definitely going to order that sub, but am still hazy on how to set it all up.  Thanks!

OK it's pretty simple. You'll need a second pair of speaker cables, and all the connectors at the subwoofer end will have to be banana plugs.

From your T-Amp, the speaker outputs now go to the high-level (speaker) inputs on the sub. From the sub high-level outputs you connect your speakers.  You're NOT driving your speakers from the sub's amp - so don't worry.  You are utilizing a "box" between your amp and speakers (it's the sub's crossover circuit) but in my understanding this is the prefered way to run a 2-channel + sub system from an amp that has no dedicated (line level) sub output, which is what we're dealing with with the T-Amp. The reason is that you don't need to fuss with the crossover setting on the sub in order to "blend" the sub and mains-- the crossover does it and only sends the frequencies 'above' your crossover setting to the mains, period. You can set it at between 40-160 Hz, I've been playing with it at 80 and 160, and playing with the level at slightly below '5' on rock and slightly above on classical.

I hope the above isn't confusing, if anyone else can clarify it better (or correct me on any point) please do.

Btw, I only had 30-35 hours with my Omegas so it's tough for me to contrast the "wholosity" now, vs. the single-driver experience.... but I can see very few situations where I'll be turning the sub off. It just adds so much dimension to -nearly all- music. :)

dgu

gotcha
« Reply #50 on: 28 Mar 2006, 04:46 pm »
OK, thanks. So just so I'm sure I undestand, the omegas aren't getting the full range, just frequencies above the crossover?

Sarchi

« Reply #51 on: 28 Mar 2006, 04:49 pm »
also this is my first music sub, so I'm not much of a judge of how "good" it is.. but the build quality is good and the design seems to be pretty decent. Can't see how anyone can go wrong for that price, especially in a budget system like I use now.

Sarchi

Re: gotcha
« Reply #52 on: 28 Mar 2006, 04:49 pm »
OK, thanks. So just so I'm sure I undestand, the omegas aren't getting the full range, just frequencies above the crossover?

Right, at least that's how I understand it.  I've been editing my post above so check it again.

Sarchi

« Reply #53 on: 31 Mar 2006, 08:09 pm »
A few days in, an update. I'm pleased to say the Dayton sub is performing very well, it seems to integrate quite well with the Omegas. In my room (only 9x12) it has a lot of power, I keep the level just below halfway up the dial and on some material I still have to back it off a little. The extension is amazing, easily into the mid-20's. My walls were shaking on the bass note in 'Still', from the acoustic half of the Foo Fighters 45rpm box set mastered by Bob Ludwig.

Only one issue with the sub- no proper nubs to fasten the grill to the cabinet.  Small thing but I have a 2yo and a cat.  I emailed PE and they responded right away and sent them (hopefully will be ok, if not I'll update).

As an aside, I honestly can't believe how well the $80 Nagaoka MP-11 cartridge is performing. I "know" it's the weak link in my system now, but I'm having trouble finding its' flaws. It has reasonably good detail and is very balanced, if a little on the dry side (not unlike the DL103D).

So basically, I'm happy as a pig in the mud.

dgu

help!
« Reply #54 on: 1 Apr 2006, 02:13 pm »
I put the Dayton 10" together last night, set it up, and was very happy.  While it definitely muddies the sound a bit, it really fills out the bottom in a way that the super 3s can't.

But this morning I got up and the sub started making a hideous rattle/buzz.  What the #$%^ could that be and any suggestions about what I might be able to do about it, short of taking the thing apart and mailing it back from where it came?

Sarchi

Re: help!
« Reply #55 on: 3 Apr 2006, 02:57 pm »
I put the Dayton 10" together last night, set it up, and was very happy.  While it definitely muddies the sound a bit, it really fills out the bottom in a way that the super 3s can't.

But this morning I got up and the sub started making a hideous rattle/buzz.  What the #$%^ could that be and any suggestions about what I might be able to do about it, short of taking the thing apart and mailing it back from where it came?

I suppose it could be any number of things. Is this a mechanical noise, or acoustic? i.e. is it coming from the cabinet or the driver.

Assuming mechanical, I would start by tightening the driver mounting nuts a bit (not too much), then the amp screws. Make sure you have the middle two amp screws in also...the holes are deep under the heatsinks, you may have missed them.  It may also be that a loose bit of hardware (like an extra screw) is rattling inside the cabinet?

If it's purely acoustic, I'd call PE, they should be able to guide you on some basic troubleshooting. Did you remember to strip the connectors off the internal wires?

dgu

thanks, will try those ideas
« Reply #56 on: 3 Apr 2006, 03:23 pm »
thanks, sarchi.  sounds like it's coming from the driver, not the cabinet.  if you imagine the sound that a kazoo adds to your voice, that's kinda what it sounds like.  i'll check all the screws (i'm missing one 8 screws that affix the driver to the cabinet, but it's hard to imagine that's the problem).  i did cut the connectors off.  anyway, thanks for providing some feedback.

Sarchi

« Reply #57 on: 17 Apr 2006, 03:36 am »
My sub's doing it too now.  :(

Sarchi

« Reply #58 on: 6 May 2006, 09:25 pm »
An update---

After receiving a replacement woofer, I almost immediately started having the same problem again. I spoke to PE and agreed to try the sub with the line-level inputs- not ideal for my application, but lo and behold, so far everything seems to work fine that way.

I don't know why things were ok for the first 3 weeks and then went south, but it appears from my experience (as well as dgu's) that the Super T amp is NOT compatible with this sub...running off the speaker taps, I mean. Line level seems to be ok, no reason why it shouldn't be, it's bypassing the T amp completely. I lack a 'master volume' now, but once I have a linestage in place that'll be taken care of too. Integration is now an issue since I'm running the Omegas full range...

Sarchi

« Reply #59 on: 8 May 2006, 05:30 am »
On a bright note, the Super T must be well-built...it doesn't seem to have suffered any damage from the incident(s). Not that my ears can detect anyhow. Sounds as good as ever.