Squeezebox Firmware Selector

tonyptony

Re: Squeezebox Firmware Selector
« Reply #60 on: 6 Sep 2006, 01:19 am »
You might want to try an earlier version of Slimserver.

6.5 is still in beta.

I personally use 6.2.1 with Firmware 15.

Wayne, I took your advice and downloaded v15 back into my modded SB3. Yes, I do think it does sound better (thanks!). I may have missed this point, though: will v15 still work with Slimserver versions beyond 6.2.x?

Wayne1

« Reply #61 on: 6 Sep 2006, 01:42 am »
Tony,

I do not know. I use 6.2.1 and I am very happy with it. I have never tried any of the "newer" releases.

Perhaps someone else here can answer this question.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #62 on: 6 Sep 2006, 01:48 am »
Tony,

I do not know. I use 6.2.1 and I am very happy with it. I have never tried any of the "newer" releases.

Perhaps someone else here can answer this question.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.   :lol:

I am also runing v6.2.1 with firmware v15 and have never tried to "upgrade" it.

George

tonyptony

« Reply #63 on: 6 Sep 2006, 02:06 am »
Well, in my case George I will need to upgrade if I want to use the Nokia 770 skin. I have one of these little jobbies and running the supplied skins just does not cut it. The 770 skin is only built for 6.5 or better.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #64 on: 6 Sep 2006, 02:09 am »
Well, in my case George I will need to upgrade if I want to use the Nokia 770 skin. I have one of these little jobbies and running the supplied skins just does not cut it. The 770 skin is only built for 6.5 or better.

Bummer.

I use my Axim x51v + Telcanto and luckily I didn't have to upgrade as this combo was supported very early on.

Best of luck.

George

mcgsxr

« Reply #65 on: 6 Sep 2006, 02:53 am »
I am running V15 firmware, with the latest release of the Slimserver s/w.

About a month ago, my Slimserver 6.2.1 refused to start.  I had to uninstall, and reinstall, and when it reinstalled, it was with latest s/w, and V53 firmware.

I pestered Mike to help me get V15 up and running, and perfecto, all is well again.

avta

« Reply #66 on: 6 Sep 2006, 03:51 am »
Mark:
Are you running wired or wireless from your SB?
Guy

seraph321

« Reply #67 on: 1 Nov 2006, 09:38 pm »
I have yet to try v15 on my Bolder modded sb2 and I'm wondering if it makes any difference when you run the SB2 at full-volume. MY SB2 analog outputs are connected to a modwright SWL 9.0SE, so I always just use the volume control on that vs. the SB2 because I figure that should avoid any artifacts associated with a digital volume control. Will I still hear a difference with firmware v15?

mcgsxr

« Reply #68 on: 1 Nov 2006, 10:35 pm »
I have been running wirelessly ONLY - the PC is on the 2nd floor, my SB3 in the basement.

Not sure about V15 at full volume, but for me, it sounds better at all volumes, then again I am using it AS my source/DAC/pre etc.

jonwb

« Reply #69 on: 1 Nov 2006, 10:49 pm »
Will I still hear a difference with firmware v15?

Why not give it a shot and see?  Its pretty easy using the tool (program) that Mike made.  Just go to the first post of this thread; it explains the whole process.  Somewhere in this thread I believe there are some comments about how phase is either inverted w/ the mod or w/ the firmware (I don't remember which), and that is at least partly why v15 w/ a modded SB is the way to go.  Of course I could be completely wrong, in which case I defer back to my opening sentence...   :wink:

Jon

pardales

« Reply #70 on: 25 Mar 2007, 05:08 am »
Is any of this relevant to those who might be using a fully modded SB3 and a MAC, or is it just a Windows thing?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #71 on: 13 Jul 2007, 05:39 pm »
Is the V15 firmware the "audiophile" version simply due to the volume and polarity issues?  The reason I ask is that I run my modded SB3->DAC into my Bent TAP preamp, which has an invert polarity function.  I use this remote function all the time, so polarity inversion is redundant/meaningless as far as firmware is concerned for me.  Is V15 just sonically better, or possibly sonically better, for other reasons?  IF so I'll do the firmware selector thing and try for myself, but if it's polarity, nevermind.  I currently rub V 6.5.2, fw 81

thx
ted

tonyptony

« Reply #72 on: 13 Jul 2007, 06:52 pm »
Ted, if you do a search both here and on the Slimserver forums you'll find a bunch of people who believe that v15 is sonically superior in a manner that is not tied to the volume and polarity reversal issues. This is even after Sean Adams of Slimdevices indicating that apart from those issues there is nothing in the v15 FW to support any sonic difference. People who believe it's better say it is without being able to identify any FW driven reason for it, and people who don't say it's precisely because there isn't and FW diff to support it. I never did a controlled test, but I use v15 anyway because it works and is not known to be sonically inferior:dunno:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #73 on: 14 Jul 2007, 11:05 pm »
Well, that was easy.  Ran the first time....the only glitch was that when I hit the brightness button on my SB3 it loaded FW15 then died (lost all power, etc.) I unplugged/rebooted and it was fine, but required a setup (10 digit WEP encryption password, etc.).  No big deal.  Now I'll live with FW 15 awhile and evaluate its' sonics as well as I can (without immediate a/b).  Thanks for this tool.

Double Ugly

« Reply #74 on: 16 Jul 2007, 01:43 am »
Is the V15 firmware the "audiophile" version simply due to the volume and polarity issues? 

Hi Ted,

I can't use v15 with the Transporter, but I used it exclusively with the Bolder SB2/Ultimate PS.  Things just sounded more natural with v15, not unlike going from a so-so OS DAC to a great non-OS DAC.  Compelling arguments from Sean Adams and others convinced me to try later versions a couple of times, but I 'regressed' to v15 each time. 

I don't know why it sounds better, but it definitely did back in the day.  Wayne, mgalusha, zybar and other long-standing SB users may be able to tell you if later versions have caught up to v15's sonics.

Either way, I don't know how v15 will affect what you hear with the RWA unit.  I never compared versions with mine.

-Jim

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 16 Jul 2007, 01:18 pm »
Jim,
Thanks.  V15 sounds good to me; not sure where it's any better, but it clearly sounds good.  It's not instantaneous to switch FW (unplug, redo WEP setup) so I'll trust everyone's ears (especially yours :D ) and assume if it ain't broke don't fix it.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #76 on: 16 Jul 2007, 01:33 pm »
Jim,
Thanks.  V15 sounds good to me; not sure where it's any better, but it clearly sounds good.  It's not instantaneous to switch FW (unplug, redo WEP setup) so I'll trust everyone's ears (especially yours :D ) and assume if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I am running a later version and it sounds good to me as well.  I am not running the latest version, but rather the one before.  I will try and get to the latest soon.

Ted, if you are running v15, don't forget to switch your speaker cables so that the polarity is correct.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 16 Jul 2007, 01:36 pm »
George,
As I mentioned in the earlier post, I play with polarity from my Bent TAP remote on a song by song or disc by disc (i.e one off) basis anyway, so no worries.  Thx

Ted

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #78 on: 16 Jul 2007, 01:37 pm »
George,
As I mentioned in the earlier post, I play with polarity from my Bent TAP remote on a song by song or disc by disc (i.e one off) basis anyway, so no worries.  Thx

Ted

Missed that...sorry. :oops:

George