Squeezebox Firmware Selector

PhilNYC

« Reply #40 on: 21 Mar 2006, 07:36 pm »
FWIW, I updated the firmware and slimserver software to a build done on March 16, 2006, and I have noticed far fewer drop-outs due to wireless networking issues.....

nathanm

« Reply #41 on: 21 Mar 2006, 09:08 pm »
What I do for some songs is hold my nose closed and suck in really hard.  This turns my ear canals backwards and inverts absolute polarity.  Works like a charm.

alana106

« Reply #42 on: 21 Mar 2006, 11:57 pm »
Thanks Mike,

I now have it working.  Apparantly the first time I downloaded, it didn't complete.  

Alan

nathanm

« Reply #43 on: 8 Apr 2006, 12:54 am »
Would it be theoretically possible to program this thing to have a Mono switch function by chance?  What about gain trims for each channel?

mgalusha

« Reply #44 on: 8 Apr 2006, 12:52 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
Would it be theoretically possible to program this thing to have a Mono switch function by chance?  What about gain trims for each channel?

Not this code as it just rewrites a control file but it should be possible to do with a SlimServer plug-in. I don't know enough perl to write such a plug-in but I am sure some of the folks who are writing SlimServer that hang out in the developers formums on the slimdevices site could do it.

I share your frustration. I was listening to an album the other night (Benny Carter - Jazz Giant) that was recorded in the late 50's and every thing is panned hard left and hard right and there is no center fill at all. I was wishing for a mono switch on the SB. It finally go to me and I decided to experiment. I made copies of all the wave files and made a mono mix and also a stereo bland mix of all the tracks, normalized them and converted them all back to flac. IMO both the mono and blend versions are more enjoyable to listen to. I found the blend version to be the best of the three.

The downside of course is now I'll start being bothered by other late 50's early 60's stereo recordings with no shared channel information and probably end up spending far too much time playing around with the files. I'm much rather have a plug-in for the SB that did this on the fly.

chadh

« Reply #45 on: 8 Apr 2006, 01:58 pm »
Quote from: mgalusha

I made copies of all the wave files and made a mono mix and also a stereo bland mix of all the tracks, normalized them and converted them all back to flac. IMO both the mono and blend versions are more enjoyable to listen to. I found the blend version to be the best of the three.

I wonder if this is essentially the same sort of thing that "crossfeed" prcessing does for headphone listening?  If so, it might be useful to check to see if crossfeed plug-ins already exist.  A lot of headphone users like the effect, and so may have developed something along these lines.  I know that such animals exist for foobar and other media players.  

Chad

mgalusha

« Reply #46 on: 8 Apr 2006, 02:57 pm »
Quote from: chadh
I wonder if this is essentially the same sort of thing that "crossfeed" prcessing does for headphone listening?  If so, it might be useful to check to see if crossfeed plug-ins already exist.  A lot of headphone users like the effect, and so may have developed something along these lines.  I know that such animals exist for foobar and other media players.  

Chad

Chad,

It's probably similar. When I mixed them I kept 100% of the original content for each channel and added 75% of the other. I tried a few other mixtures but for this disk this seemed to be a good mixture. I'll have to poke around and see if anyone has written a crossfeed plugin for slimserver.

robertwb

« Reply #47 on: 3 May 2006, 06:18 am »
I want to try this but when I try to download at the .net link on the first page  I get this message-

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. anymore

is there somehwere else to get it?

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #48 on: 3 May 2006, 01:06 pm »
Anyone care to make available the version 15 control file?

mgalusha

« Reply #49 on: 3 May 2006, 01:12 pm »
Quote from: robertwb
I want to try this but when I try to download at the .net link on the first page  I get this message-

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. anymore

is there somehwere else to get it?

Robert,

Give this a try. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

mgalusha

« Reply #50 on: 3 May 2006, 01:17 pm »
Quote from: cryotweaks
Anyone care to make available the version 15 control file?

Mike,

Do you mean the firmware or the text file that enables it? You can grab the firmware here.

If you use the firmware selector it will generate the control file, that is it's sole purpose in life. :)

BTW, Thanks for bringing the amps and cables by last weekend, it was great to hear them.

Mike

robertwb

« Reply #51 on: 3 May 2006, 02:35 pm »
same thing there-I get to the page with the download link and when I click on that I get-

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #52 on: 3 May 2006, 03:05 pm »
Thanks for the firmware Mike.  And thanks for letting me bring the gear, I am glad you enjoyed it.

BTW, I am picking up some Cerious speaker cables this weekend, so now all of my cables will be immune from EMI and RFI.  Cool! 8)

Cheers!

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #53 on: 3 May 2006, 05:00 pm »
mgalusha et al,

Where can I download the Microsoft .NET 1.1 framework package in order to use your firmware selector?  When I clicked on the link, I got "The page can't be displayed" or something indicating the page had been moved.

By the way, can I manually tell Slim Server to use firmware 15 after installing the latest 6.2.2?

Thanks.

mgalusha

« Reply #54 on: 5 May 2006, 05:58 pm »
It looks like Microsoft removed the 1.1 framework file for a few days. I just tested the link and downloaded a copy without problems. Hopefully they won't remove it again.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #55 on: 5 May 2006, 07:30 pm »
Right on, Mike.  Finally, I got them both (MS .NET 1.1 and your FW Selector) installed and working.

Have a nice weekend.

AphileEarlyAdopter

Re: Squeezebox Firmware Selector
« Reply #56 on: 22 Aug 2006, 07:19 pm »
I just got my SB3 (last wednesday). I played fine for a few days (maybe I was just fwding from one album/playlist to another). But after that I started getting dropouts. I upgraded to the latest firmware 59 and 6.5b Slimserver to no avail.
Can this SB3 run the firmware 15 ? If it works, I will spring for Waynes' digital out mod. Because I feel the SB3 has all details (because of EAC extraction probably) but still has more jitter than my Philips 963SA.

Wayne1

« Reply #57 on: 22 Aug 2006, 08:38 pm »
You might want to try an earlier version of Slimserver.

6.5 is still in beta.

I personally use 6.2.1 with Firmware 15.

All the versions of Slimserver can be found here

Download Mike's firmware selector and firmware 15.

Then you can switch between the different firmware and see if you can hear any differences.

mgalusha

« Reply #58 on: 5 Sep 2006, 09:10 pm »
NOTE - My ComCast account is gone. I've updated the download URL to my Google account but not the firmware files. I'll try and get a copy of those posted tonight (9/5/2006). -Mike

I've uploaded all released versions of the SB 2/3 firmware files from v15 onward to here

« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2006, 10:17 pm by mgalusha »

Brad

« Reply #59 on: 6 Sep 2006, 01:15 am »
Finally 'downgraded' back to v15.
MUCH better - thanks Mike!