Got the APEX - pretty much destroyed!!!!

tdangelo

« on: 10 Mar 2006, 11:43 pm »
1 box had the top of the crate ripped off both ends and missing - the other crate had the bottom ripped off and missing.  Speaker 1 has bad damage on 6-7 of 8 corners - speaker 2 on 3 of 4 corners...  I have a call into both Al and the dealer Bryan  :cuss:  :cuss:  :cuss:

wshuff

« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2006, 12:07 am »
What shipping company can destroy crates?  Seems to me that would almost take a conscious effort to damage.

I hope you get squared away quickly and without much headache.

tdangelo

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2006, 12:56 am »
Thanks ;)  It was Fedex Ground.  Al has called me and is going to build a  new pair and ship Bax Global.  I recieved some RM40's a couple years ago that arrived in perfect shape via Bax and they even brought them into my house ;)  Al's gonna work hard to get them to me in about 2 weeks ;)  Al's going to handle all the claim work.  

Here's a link to the pics:

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=235652&groupid=40035&folderview=thumbs&ck=

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=235658&groupid=40035&folderview=thumbs&ck=

After you click on a pic if you right click and click "save picture as" you'll be able so save to your PC and see the full size pic....

Dusty Chalk

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2006, 02:20 am »
:(  Those pictures make me sad.

I had a set of tubes totally destroyed by a shipping company.  Looks like they dropped an Acme Tube-Destroyer Anvil on them.  There was nothing left -- litereally, sand (the glass was powdered).

ekovalsky

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2006, 02:21 am »
Quote from: tdangelo
Thanks ;)  It was Fedex Ground.  Al has called me and is going to build a  new pair and ship Bax Global.  I recieved some RM40's a couple years ago that arrived in perfect shape via Bax and they even brought them into my house ;)  Al's gonna work hard to get them to me in about 2 weeks ;)  Al's going to handle all the claim work.  

Here's a link to the pics:

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=235652&groupid=40035&folderview=thumbs&ck=

[url]http://home.bellsouth.n ...

Very sorry to hear that.  I'm losing faith in FedEx Ground, they just damaged two TacT S2150 amps I sent to Las Vegas.  

BAX is the best... those RM40s were in cardboard boxes, not crates !  Alas it is basically impossible to get BAX to pick up freight at a residence in this day and age, so unless you are a company sending your products out they are not an option.

trekker

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2006, 02:12 pm »
Sorry to hear about your speakers   :bawl:

kfr01

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2006, 02:44 pm »
So, what are you doing with the destroyed ones?

tdangelo

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2006, 02:56 pm »
thanks for the comments.  The speakers go back to Fedex - they usually take the item's that a claim is filed on.  They prob. have a big garage sale or something, hehehe.   Al's been real helpful and is gonna give me a few extras just to polish things over even though Fedex is really at fault....

kfr01

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2006, 03:24 pm »
Back to FedEx?  I wanna know where that garage sale is.  :-)

trekker

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2006, 03:26 pm »
Will your next shipment be on a pallet?  I had a couple of speakers, weight approx 315 lbs shipped, palletized and had no damage.  I received a  shipping discount (I think around 25%), as I decided to pick-up the pallet at the local Yellow truck terminal.

Good luck on your next shipment.

wshuff

« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2006, 04:54 pm »
Did you even get a chance to hear the Apex?  Was the damage only cosmetic, or did it go further?

Look forward to you getting a new pair with no trouble.

AB

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2006, 05:32 pm »
FedEx Ground shouldn't have accepted those - they know better.
And remember - FedEx Ground is a seperate entity from FedEx Express. Ground is handled through independent contractors and their "commitment to excellence" varies.

FedEx Freight or FedEx " Heavy", palletized and shipped strapped or wrapped would have been the way to go.

Even with Bax I would use pallet and wrap.

Still, that sux.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2006, 06:48 pm »
Oh.....those are painful to look at.  :(

Shame on Fedex.  :evil:

ekovalsky

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2006, 07:04 pm »
I would think the Apex, packed in crates, would be well beyond FedEx Ground's weight limit -- which is 150lbs for commercial delivery, 70lbs for residential delivery.  The crates alone for my speakers surpass those limits.

Hopefully they will still honor the damage claim.

tdangelo

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2006, 10:15 pm »
Only cosmetic damage.  I did hook them up and they sound fantastic!! Sooo much better than the 40's and the VSA 4JR's too. The bass is very fast and impactful - high's are sweet and non fatiguing. They aren't broken in but I like them so far.  The soundstage depth is superb as is indivdual placement of musicians.  I haven't even corrected them with my Tact and they sound better than the above 2 corrected...  Al removed both midrange drivers from both speakers and shipped them seperately along with the bases - he had a packing place ship and weight them and they were 150 (Fedex limit).  Hopefully Al will put them on a pallet or something.  I would think its just not worth it for a business to have to go through all this hassle....  They are painful to look at ;(

melville

Similar experience with UPS
« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2006, 10:47 pm »
How the speakers were packaged for shipping is moot.  Upon accepting them, Fedex is responsible for transporting them undamaged.  There is no reason why the substantial crates within which they were shipped should not have been adequate protection from anything but the most negligent handling.

I had the same experience with a pair of Tyler Acoustics tower speakers a few years ago.  In my case, it was UPS that abused them.

It is really upsetting when, after a long wait, you receive a new precious audio component and it is badly damaged, then have to endure the wait and worry again.

RAW

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2006, 11:05 pm »
Well :oops:
What can we say.
Even in crates that were strapped with 2X2 end caps all around they damaged them!! :evil:  :evil:
They tore the bottoms and tops off the crates.No that can not be miss handled at all. :nono:  :banghead:

As far as we have tried with anything but 2X4 framed crates we have had no luck sending long distance to the EAST on the west coast we have hand not a single issue  :roll:

Anyway as Tony said new ones are well underway as we have the cabinets made already in stock just need veneer and I will be off Monday to hand select the sheets again.He had a lot of comments about the veneer look.Thanks Tony.

Sound !
I am glad you have had some time to listen , and please do till FEDEX comes and gets them enjoy the time with them.
Glad you like the way they sound.

Anyway yes they are going in crates again via freight !

This is one reason that the price is higher than what Tony paid for his he got in just under the old price.The new price is set to include freight at what ever the cost is!This is included in the price.They do not go anything but freight in large crates.
So much for trying to get them to Tony as fast as possible.

Anyway I am off to do some more work on a pair of APEX II .

And a pair may just be going up for sale cheap depends on the final word from FEDEX which can be months!

And yes we hope to have Tony's out in the next 2 weeks.
With a few goodies!

Al Garay

« Reply #17 on: 1 Apr 2006, 04:46 pm »
Tony,

Have you received the new APEX?

tdangelo

« Reply #18 on: 1 Apr 2006, 05:07 pm »
They are supposed to be delivered Monday  :)

Al Garay

« Reply #19 on: 3 Apr 2006, 08:16 pm »
Tony,

I will keep you in my thoughts today. Hope the delivery went smoothly and look forward to hearing your listening impressions.

thanks,

Al