Essence V's Dynamic enough for Ref. levels in large room?

Music123

Mark Seaton over on AVS posted this about the Essence V's when comparing them to the older model Triad Gold LCR's (two 6.5" woofers and 1" tweeter):http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7256403&&#post7256403
I've seen Mike Dzurko post that the Essence V's are extremely Dynamic, hard to believe they would not be a significant upgrade over the older Triad Gold's.
Anyone care to comment that has heard the Essence V's?

Harry P

« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2006, 03:19 am »
If you ask me, AVS has gone totally crazy with the whole DB thing. I swear most of those folks probably hve never set up a real two channel rig. All those horns for crying out loud! I own three Protege across the front. They go loud as hell. Can't imagine how loud the Essence wil go. Does anyone care about their hearing? Whatever happened to quality vs quantity?

Music123

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2006, 02:30 pm »
Mark Seaton is pretty reptuable though. And supposedly the Essense is made for HT first, and this particular application that they are talking about on AVS is for a dedicated HT room. One of the Essences main attributes that is always touted is that it is a very dynamic speaker that can play loud without compression. For a dedicated HT room (that is rather large) it seems reasonable that they would want to play close to reference levels. It's not like they are using their HT room for two-channel listening or hardly any music is my guess.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2006, 04:22 am »
Quote from: Music123
Mark Seaton is pretty reptuable though. And supposedly the Essense is made for HT first, and this particular application that they are talking about on AVS is for a dedicated HT room. One of the Essences main attributes that is always touted is that it is a very dynamic speaker that can play loud without compression. For a dedicated HT room (that is rather large) it seems reasonable that they would want to play close to reference levels. It's not like they are using their HT room for two-channel listening or hardly any music is my guess.

No question, Mark knows his stuff. And I have no idea if they're using their HT room for two-channel . . . but I would. Have you heard the
Essense? As long as your room is smaller than a commercial theater, I think you'd be more than happy with the dynamics, and more importantly, the SQ

Music123

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2006, 02:29 pm »
Have not heard the Essence (as stated in my first post), that's why I asked.
Here's a pic of the guys HT. It does not look like he does much 2 channel listening there. It's one of "those" rooms:

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2006, 04:24 pm »
Yikes, it's a cineplex!   :lol:  Gorgeous room for sure. We've had the opportunity to do a number of local dedicated theaters with Essence and Protege packages and they will definitely play clean at ref level (I think the largest here is around 17 x 27 . . .  and acoustically quite well treated)

Music123

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2006, 09:49 pm »
It seems someone saw this thread and posted to the thread over on AVS regarding your comments Mike. Mark S. while being respectful, still believes that the Essence (and speakers like it) fall short. He says "They fall short of what is possible in such a room". Referring to dedicated rooms like the one pictured above.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2006, 01:32 am »
Quote from: Music123
It seems someone saw this thread and posted to the thread over on AVS regarding your comments Mike. Mark S. while being respectful, still believes that the Essence (and speakers like it) fall short. He says "They fall short of what is possible in such a room". Referring to dedicated rooms like the one pictured above.

No question, the Essence will fall short of some designs in terms of max SPL, (most of those are either far larger, and or more costly), I've never thought otherwise . . .  Note, sound quality (things like image, tonality, etc, etc,) are not being discussed . . .I would LOVE to get into this dialog over at AVS. The problem is that I'm short staffed due to illness and there are some family issues that need my attention right now . . .  I sincerely hope that anyone with the interest and time, really READS and looks at what is being said.

Herb

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2006, 08:00 pm »
Mike I hope all is okay w/your family and you get your staff healthy ASAP!  What I see is that many at AVS are obviously volume junkies. Come on, look at all the discussion about Ref level and you're right, I see far less discussion about soundstage quality and things like that.  AVS is a huge forum, but the discussions are still dominated by a pretty smal handful, and they most certainly have their agendas. I'd bet my shirt that your Essence is more than loud enough for 99% of us. Better yet, it sounds terrific and even according to Mr. Seaton does well against the competition at more than twice the price.

Music123

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2006, 06:28 am »
Yes, Mike I hope everything is ok with your family. Covering for people at work can be hectic too, I know.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2006, 11:42 pm »
Thanks folks . . . we're working on and hoping for the best, it will take time. Your kind thoughts are appreciated.