ACI XL's + Odyssey Stratos PLUS + Etesian.. How Loud??

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
Hello,

I currently have an Odyssey Stratos PLUS + Etesian pre.  

I am looking at getting a pair of the XL's, they keep going into my #1 slot on short list of speakers to purchase within the next 2 weeks, for my 12'x12' room.  

My only concern before purchasing is, will they be loud enough?  I have the newest stratos plus design w/cap, but I do like listening loud at times, like rock concert loud....  Will I be able to achieve this with the XLs?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Trevor

Mike Dzurko

Re: ACI XL's + Odyssey Stratos PLUS + Etesian.. How Loud??
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2006, 02:25 pm »
Quote from: tigzstudio
Hello,

I currently have an Odyssey Stratos PLUS + Etesian pre.  

I am looking at getting a pair of the XL's, they keep going into my #1 slot on short list of speakers to purchase within the next 2 weeks, for my 12'x12' room.  

My only concern before purchasing is, will they be loud enough?  I have the newest stratos plus design w/cap, but I do like listening loud at times, like rock concert loud....  Will I be able to achieve this with the XLs?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Trevor:

One word, yes :)  

For example, at CES we had them in a room substantially larger than yours . . . pics can be found here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=24575

and with 40 watts per channel we could get them very loud indeed. More than a few folks were looking for the subwoofer. IMHO the XLs will be impossible to beat for your application . . . even if you could spend WAY more. Give them a try, you will love them!

Trevor

balji

• http://www.highdefzone.us
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2006, 03:00 am »
Hi There
I have tested this setting  with Estesian, Stratos Extremes Monoblocks and SappireXLs, it does become very loud without losing musicality, and since the Amps are very powerful, I did not want to test to try to burn the coils in XLs so had to turn the volume down, If you are located near 18067 then we can have this demo for you. You can judge it on your own.

Thanx

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2006, 03:56 am »
You can be assured that the Sapphire XL's will play loud enough in a 12x12 room, especially if you pair them up with a Force XL subwoofer. They will play loud enough to hurt your ears (unless your deaf of course).

I was playing them tonight with the Red Dragon Audio Leviathan amps (600 watts at 8 ohms, 1000 watts at 4 ohms) and I couldn't take the sound pressure levels the amps, speakers and sub where putting out. IT went even louder than that before I pushed the speakers into clipping mode as the amps have far more power than the Sapphires are rated for. But until you reach that point the speakers are very clean and loud.

The room I was playing them in is 16x14x8 and it has two openings that are 4' wide each, one directly to the left of the left speaker and one that is on the right back wall.

Mike has a very generous return policy so you'll loose almost nothing by ordering them and trying them out. The Leviathans are $6000 amps and I never felt the speakers weren't up to par with the amps, in fact it was an awesome pairing when mated to a Herron preamp and the Modwright Denon Universal player. The equipment cost far surpassed the speaker and subwoofer prices but they certainly held their own in much more expensive company.

Eric

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2006, 03:32 pm »
Not only will they play loud enough, they will be musical and non-fatiguing. You will be pairing two components that exceed their price point in terms of performance.