Ultimate PS WOWEEE

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
Ultimate PS WOWEEE
« on: 3 Mar 2006, 05:39 am »
I sent back my Deluxe to have Wayne upgrade the DC cord to nitro and the power supply caps to the Jensens. I know you are supposed to wait till they burn in to form critical opinions, but let's just say

WOW!

Who knew these upgrades could make such a difference. My main issue in comparing the SB3 to my expensive transport had been that the SB3 lacked that the depth and weight of instruments and vocals, and the bass was just a tad light.

All that is GONE. Plus more detail, and background silence.

Very very impressive. And I didn't do the bybees or the ultra silver cable either.

Wayne1

Ultimate PS WOWEEE
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2006, 06:18 am »
I'm glad you like it, Dave  :mrgreen:

If you think it sounds good now, just wait a couple of weeks.

I listened to it before I sent it up to you. Compared to my well aged version, the bass was a bit bloated and the highs were a bit shrill. It didn't yet have all the detail that it will.

Kinda funny that 5 volt power supply caps and cable can make such a difference on digital output.  8)

prpixel

deluxe PS
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2006, 01:26 pm »
Yes, wait until in burns in.  I let mine burn for 17 days straight.  It sound so good you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.  I don't have the Jensons, though.

Wayne1

Ultimate PS WOWEEE
« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2006, 06:20 pm »
Time for an upgrade, Rolf  :lol:

You will get to know the joy of breaking in capacitors all over again  :roll:

The Jensen's are quite a bit better at decoupling and suppressing unwanted transients and other i.e. digital high frequency noises. They clean up the power line going into and from the power supply case. The sound difference is quite easily heard and, I hate to say it, worth it.

It is such a night and day difference, that I am somewhat seriously thinking about stopping production on the Basic to concentrate on the Superior.

Another idea is to use some smaller, but still far too expensive, Jensen caps in the resevoir position after the regulator. This would still add at least $100.00 to the price of the Basic, but it should deliver a similar sound.

I have ordered some of these smaller Jensens to try out in a Basic. It will still be a few weeks before any results will be reached.