High quality compact digicam

elcaptain88

« on: 1 Mar 2006, 05:20 pm »
I'm looking for a 'high quality' & compact digital camera. This isn't for serious use, but I would like to get reasonably good quality with it if I use proper technique such that I can get very good 8x10's. I know these two features mean some tradeoffs, but what would be a few to look at? I have a strong background in film photography, having owned/used Nikon fm's, Canon slr's and Mamiyas. I would prefer a fixed lens 35mm equiv. - similar to the Olympus epic, but it doesn't appear any manuf. are making those. I stopped pursuing photography in the late 90's & am just beginning to catch up.

The Canon S80 is one that seems like it could be good - any others?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2006, 06:24 pm »
What's more important to you: size or picture quality?  What is your price range?

jkelly

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2006, 06:42 pm »
I highly recommend the Canon EOS 20D.
(not really compact!)

Jeff

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2006, 06:43 pm »
I am a big fan of Canon digital cameras.  IMHO, they are the best combination of picture quality and usability/ergonomics.  I own two cameras...an S410 (small/compact, fits in a jacket pocket) and an S2 IS (12x zoom, image stabilizer, lots of features).

S410: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s410.asp

S2 IS: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

elcaptain88

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2006, 07:01 pm »
Size is more important - if not I would go with a Canon D20/D30. The one thing that sucks w/ the current digital cameras (including the APS sensor slr's) are the tiny & dim viewfinders - if they even have one.

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2006, 07:20 pm »
Quote from: elcaptain88
The one thing that sucks w/ the current digital cameras (including the APS sensor slr's) are the tiny & dim viewfinders - if they even have one.

But most have a screen that you can see...why would you need the viewfinder?

elcaptain88

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2006, 07:31 pm »
I'm just used to good WYSIWYG viewfinders I suppose. If you ever use a Leica M3 or a Canon EOS 3 its hard to go back, plus the LCD screens on many digitals are small & can wash out in daylight.

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2006, 07:39 pm »
Quote from: elcaptain88
I'm just used to good WYSIWYG viewfinders I suppose. If you ever use a Leica M3 or a Canon EOS 3 its hard to go back, plus the LCD screens on many digitals are small & can wash out in daylight.

I think most screens on digital cameras are WYSIWYG, no?

Btw - before getting into digital, I had a Canon EOS Elan...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2006, 07:41 pm »
If size is the primary consideration and you want to 8X10 prints,  it would be hard to beat S80.  I have an Elph and I like it for the convinience but I am waiting for the price to drop on a pro digital body to get all my lenses deployed again.  :roll:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2006, 02:37 am »
I think Nikon may have what you want

Carlman

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2006, 05:02 pm »
I bought a Kodak V550 and couldn't be happier.  It uses a glass lens, has a metal body, a real viewfinder, smooth video, 5Meg, zoom, etc... and it's the size of a pack of playing cards.  

I use it all the time... the lens isn't great at full zoom but it is at less-than full..  The smallest cameras aren't in the same league as the SLR's.  I have a Rebel X/T that outshoots it by a wide margin as expected.  The Kodak did everything I wanted and then some with fair compromises.

Best of luck,
Carl