Suggestion needed for blues/jazz 3/4/5 piece groups

byteme

« on: 15 May 2003, 05:42 pm »
I'm kind of a noob to this kind of music but based on a (can you believe it) Celebrate Diversity thing we're doing monthly at work I got a chance to hear a 4 piece local Jazz group of stand up bass, sax, drums and piano/keyboard in the cafeteria that was just great.  Chocolate Fudge Quartet or something like that (very local group).  Just playing Jazz/Blues standards.  After that I went out and bought the Mapleshade Music Festival sampler - http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/reviews/08132.html -  and would like to find more of that kind of thing.  I'd also like it if it were as well recorded as the Mapleshade stuff!

Thanks,

Brian.

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2003, 07:28 pm »
You might give some of the Ray Brown Trio discs a shot, especially the ones with Gene Harris on piano. Summer Wind is excellent as is Soular Energy. Both are very well recorded. Speaking of Gene Harris, I have a couple of his, Funky Gene's and Black & Blue. Both are quite good.

Another good disc is Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington - Together Again For The First Time. It also goes by other titles but they are similar. A very good recording and some truly tasty music. Of course IMO it's hard to go wrong with most any Armstrong. :)

Check out Mark O'Connors Hot Swing Trio - In Full Swing. Mostly violin, bass and guitar. Guests are Wynton Marsellis and Jane Monheit.

There are lots of things out there but these are what I could think of first. I'm sure others will have lots of suggestions.

Mike

U4EA

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2003, 11:25 pm »
Quote from: mgalusha
You might give some of the Ray Brown Trio discs a shot, especially the ...

The newly release Ray Brown ...Live from New York to Tokyo is out.  It is great.

I would also say these are good

Art Blakey- Night in Tunisia

Miles Davis - Silent Way Sessions, Kind of Blue and a bunch more

Another nice duet bass and piano is Dave Young's the Complete Two by Two Sessions

Dave Brubeck - Time Out

These are basically all standards.  Some may not be trios but they are still good.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2003, 01:43 am »
There is a very nice jazz trio on MArecordings

http://www.marecordings.com/whatsnew_frames/whatsnew_frm.html

The disc is called OLD SCHOOL

It is an "Audiophile" recording made with only two custom mikes.

I picked up quite a few discs from this label at CES. VERY nice recording and reasonable prices.

grub

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2003, 03:33 am »
I'd recommend some of Dave Hollands quintet disks (Points of View and Prime Directive are excellent), very hip and pretty modern jazz.  As far as recording quality, it's very good, but for some reason, they mix it with the trombone dead-on the right speaker, and the sax dead-on the left speaker.

Also, check out some Chick Corea if you want some latin flavor thrown in...he's an exceptional pianist, and a riot to listen to...I have an LP set of his tribute to Thelonius Monk, and it's got some great arrangements, as well as some wild trio improvizations.

good luck and happy hunting.
-->grub