Question about Rava sub kits...

gonefishin

« on: 15 May 2003, 03:50 pm »
First off...Hi Kevin!  :D   Hope all is well with you and your family...how are the kids doin'?

I have a question about the Rava sub kit...is this kit available without the enclosure?  

thanks...take care>>>>>>

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2003, 01:56 am »
gonefishin:

Hey... good to hear from you!  The kids are doing what all kids do.... make a lot of noise and suck your wallet dry.  Actually... we are expecting a new one... or maybe two so it looks like I better get used to it. ;)  We are going to be like the Waltons around here pretty soon.

On to the RAVA.  It really isn't a kit.  It's Adire's low dollar sealed sub using the Shiva driver and their AVA-250 amplifier.  You can buy all the parts individually and build your own enclosure.  I'd say if your looking for a small package the RAVA is tough to beat.  By the time you buy the parts and build a cabinet you can almost just buy the RAVA.  The only reason not to get the finished version is if you want a custom box or if your looking to run a different alignment.  

The other option is the Tempest based unit.  They are releasing the big brother to the RAVA with a Tempest in a sealed box for another $150 or so... much more output.  

Give me a call with whatever you have bouncing around in your head.   I'll see if I can give you some input.  

BTW... how are those horns going together?

gonefishin

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2003, 03:19 am »
BTW... how are those horns going together?

LOL...I have to be one of THE slowest hobbiest around!  they're almost done.  Actually, Ray (from the Chicago group) has finished finishing his basement...he's moving the TiTans down there and he's decided to have a Chicago meeting at his house...I'm trying to our speakers done for the meeting.  should be close  :?

My brother has bought a pair of HE10's (used) and loves them...actually, so do I...I just love those dang speakers!  But he was thinking about various speaker stands...when he had an idea he wanted me to look into for him.
    What he wants to do is mate a sub kit to the HE 10's...in one enclosure.  Well, seemingly one enclosure...all deminsions would remain the same for both the HE 10's and the sub...they would just be...well...married together.
    That's the idea  :?:

Congrats on the new arrival(s)!  I feel as tho the wife and I have our hands full with one!  But I certainly wouldn't have it any other way :D  How's the new home working out?  What your audio system look like nowadays?

well...take care

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1812 The speaker project.

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2003, 02:12 pm »
gonefishin:

Ha... your not the first to have a project take a little longer than projected!

I've been sending Ray a bunch of expensive cable so his system should REALLY sound good now. ;)  

A lot of people have thought about doing the same thing.  Stands made of two powered Shiva subs.  You end up with something that looks more like a full range speaker (well... it is a full range speaker bi-amped).  The downside is that you don't have the same flexibility for moving the sub around the room for ideal placement and the cost of building two custom subs as stands is usually much more than buying a single RAVA that can be squeezed in the corner.  The stand mounted HE10.1s take up about the same floor space but look smaller.    Parts cost minus the enclosure for what your looking to do is about $600 plus or minus a little.  Cost for the enclosure...?????    Your brother could buy a couple Parts Express Stands for $100 and a RAVA for $400 and be done with it.  Of course... what fun would that be?

The new home is great.... I can piss in the front yard (without getting arrested), which has always been the litmus test for any house I've wanted to own.  The audio system is probably like many other compulsive audiophiles... in flux.  We have five acres and I'm in the process of building a new super duper shop to give me more room to operate out of.   After we get the four walls and a roof raised I'll build a listening room before doing anything else.  So, that is where I'm focusing my energy for the moment.  That and some new products.....  new DIY speaker line, a couple small quality subs, new DACT line stage/phono stage new web site, Cardas cable kits & a finished LC Audio PWM amplifier.  

Until the listening room is built I'm using the Ella + HE10s in the living room of the house.   The acoustics are horrible so I'm really pushing to get the new building up.   Not to mention the wife has control over what the room looks like in the house.   The new building will be all mine. :)

gonefishin

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2003, 12:39 am »
Kevin...my brother is getting ready to buy a sub...is there anything near the Rava price range that you would suggest matching up with the HE10's?

The only sub I've heard with the HE10's was the "Charlie Special"...If the Rava is a decent match for the HE10's...he'll probably get it.  Hey, do ya know anyone in the US that sells them? ;)

take care>>>>>

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2003, 01:06 am »
Gonefishin,

A friend of mine has a RAVA and I have had the opportunity to mess around with it quite a bit.  For the money, it's VERY difficult to beat.  Nice cabinet work, solid amp/driver and a very tight and tuneful bass.  May not shake the house off its foundation but stores very little energy in the driver and is very quick.  It's also cheap enough to run two.  Again, tough to beat for the $$$...even DIY.

Good luck,
J

gonefishin

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2003, 12:25 pm »
thanks Jackman!

KevinW

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2003, 10:39 pm »
Quote from: gonefishin
Kevin...my brother is getting ready to buy a sub...is there anything near the Rava price range that you would suggest matching up with the HE10's?

The only sub I've heard with the HE10's was the "Charlie Special"...If the Rava is a decent match for the HE10's...he'll probably get it.  Hey, do ya know anyone in the US that sells them? ;)

take care>>>>>

Matching the Rava with the HE10 is a NO BRAINER decision.  They blend together absolutely seamlessly to give very full range sound.  For the price of the Rava, there is really no point to DIY a similar solution unless free time is truly abundant.