mid priced cartridge for rock

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« on: 21 Feb 2006, 12:50 pm »
was checking to see what kind of cartridges in the mid price range are you guys and gals favorites for mostly rock, i like all music but listen 90% of the time to rock mostly classic rock,

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2006, 02:21 pm »
What is midrange price for you?  I find that a TT ensemble should be evaluated as an ensemble rather than as each component.  I have tried a same cart on different setup and get different result.  We could come up with more useful answers if you tell us what table and arm you are using.  I guess knowing your speakers, amp and preamp won't hurt either.  In general, it is better to list your equipment if you want specific answers. :wink:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2006, 04:46 pm »
'woodsyi' is definitely on the right trail here...it's about getting everything optimized at any price level.

That said, the AT-440ml from Audio Technica is a stellar cartridge for $89.99 online.  Very dynamic - it's a cartridge that closely mimics CD sound with considerable LP virtues left in tact.

I rarely play rock anymore (old at 43), but I likewise prefer it on classical and jazz to the 2.5x more expensive ($199.00) Ortofon X5-MC moving coil I have.

It's relatively cheap, tracks great, has replaceable stylus (it works best in medium to heavy arms).  It's needs 25+ hours to settle and it's not pretty until well after that...the extreme-elliptical microline stylus takes a bit of arm geometry to get settled in the grooves, tho.  But, you'll be rewarded with dynamics and detail from your classic rock LP's at a very fair price.

skrivis

Re: mid priced cartridge for rock
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2006, 05:40 pm »
Quote from: beachbum
was checking to see what kind of cartridges in the mid price range are you guys and gals favorites for mostly rock, i like all music but listen 90% of the time to rock mostly classic rock,

I second the recommendation of the Audio-Technica. Grado is also usually a good choice. They're not expensive and give good performance.

beachbum

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2006, 02:01 am »
l should have listed my turntable and system, and for mid priced on cartridges i would use 500 to a grand, i have a mmf 7 with the eroica mc, i think i might have gone a little low in the turntable area and dont know why as lps are the best sounding of all sorce componets IMHO, the rest of my system, ps audio gcph phono pre, nuforce ref 9 amps, p 8 preamp, onix cd88 underwood mod 1+, tyler linbrook singature system 1 piece, bpt bp2, jps and ps cableing,

mr2channel

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2006, 02:30 am »
not sure what your idea of mid priced is, but I have a Sumiko Blue Point Special strapped to a Rega P3 and it sounds pretty good to me, rock, classic rock and blues are what I listen to.  The table is a hair too fast, but that is beside the point...Sumiko PBS-good for rock and blues.

my .02

mcrespo71

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2006, 02:33 am »
I like the Dynavector 10 X 5.  YMMV

beachbum

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2006, 03:58 am »
i am going to go with the dynavector 20x. through a lot of online research, the new orleans area is still in quite a mess and getting a good audition of audio equipment is still a uncommon thing, its rough to just go and buy equipment online with out hearing it, even with most offering a 30 day return,