External Drive bargain for Slim Device SB3 server???

alana106

Hi,

With my SB3 on the way, I thought it might be time to also be looking at something for mass storage.  I thought an external hard drive might be my first purchase.  If I decide to put together a dedicated PC later, this could then be used for backup.  I saw what appears to me, to be a bargain.  
Would be interested in anyone’s thoughts on this 250 GB Seagate as well as any other HDs.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1828384&CatId=136

Thanks,
Alan

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2006, 02:05 am »
Once I thought my purchase of a 300GB Seagate HD at $199 was great.  Now having a 250GB HD at $89 is even a way better deal.  I'll buy one and Firewire chain it with the current HD.

F-100

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2006, 03:13 am »
Be carefull when dealing with Tigerdirect. I bought a HD from them 6 months ago and still haven't received my rebate yet. Check out their rating below.

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1983.html

Eli

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2006, 04:38 am »
Ditto that on TigerDirect.  They're as bad as bad gets.  I've had two rebates rejected for bogus reasons.  

My last order was a DVD-RW drive in retail packaging.  The retail box was tossed into a larger box with no packing foam, peanuts, or paper - just rattling around.  Then when I sent in the rebate they claimed they didn't receive an original receipt, when the rebate form clearly indicated that an original or a copy was to be included.  Never again...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2006, 07:24 am »
Quote from: Eli
Ditto that on TigerDirect.  They're as bad as bad gets.  I've had two rebates rejected for bogus reasons.  
But....what about this......??? :?

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2006, 02:47 pm »
Get an internal drive with IDE interface and then get a USB case to hold them. F-100 got a 200GB Maxtor IDE internal drive for $49.99 from CompUSA and he then bought a case for $25. That's $75 dollar..very good deal.

I recently bought a Western Digital 160 GB SATA interface internal drive for $49.99 at Circuitcity. But I found that the case for SATA interface are more expensive than IDE interface, hence next time I will only buy IDE.

Just do a search on "Hard Drive" at www.techbargains.com

You will see plenty of deals..e.g.
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?&ref=cj&pfp=cj&product_code=304907

alana106

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2006, 03:02 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
  I have dealt with Tiger Direct a couple of times, and had no trouble at all.   None of my purchases involved a rebate, so I really appreciate this eye opener.  I'll keep looking, as I'm in no hurry. Maybe one of the local chains will have a sale I'll be able to get in on.

Alan

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2006, 03:16 pm »
Last year (2004) for Christmas, I bought my parents a computer from Tiger Direct.  It wasn't until August (or September?) when I finally received all the rebates -- I think?  Who can remember when the time frame is 8 months?

Thump553

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2006, 08:23 pm »
I'm relieved your past experiences with Tiger Direct went well, but it really is playing Russian Roulette trying to get their rebates paid.  

Next week (2/19 to 2/25) Staples (which is top-notch on rebates) will have a 200 GB Maxtor internal hard drive for $39.94 after a $40 rebate (SKU 504517) which is real tempting if you want to build your own external as suggested above.  They will also have a Maxtor 200GB external for $129.94 (SKU 594774).

Some people dump on Maxtor but I've always had decent luck with them.

EDIT:  Computer mavens:  Is there a limit on the number of external USB hard drives you can have?  I already have one attached that is 98% full of FLAC files, I'd like to add more.

F-100

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2006, 08:47 pm »
Quote from: Thump553
Is there a limit on the number of external USB hard drives you can have?

I have never connected more than 4 USB devices at one time but  I believe the maximum number is 127 USB devices.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2006, 08:58 pm »
http://www.newegg.com
http://www.mwave.com

Two best places I have dealed with. They are also I think one and three of the top five computer part sellers on the internet for overall service.

I will gladly pay a few extra dollars, which it is only that at these website, they are very competitive on pricing, for a no bullshit purchase.

I actually got a free case from mwave because of a bad power supply in a case I ordered, which they had no stock off.

Trust me if you have to RMA or any thing, you do not want to deal with Tiger Direct or other cheap companies with usually cheaper parts. My poor friend had a three month RMA from Tiger Direct.

How I buy..... Price, concept, features first. Then I read reviews or at least go through the onsite reviews on newegg.

Looking for a harddrive I would read reviews on newegg on any thing you find that has a mention of overheating or being loud. I would avoid either of case, and look for cool and quiet.

If you use an external hard drive enclosure then look for a good hard drive with liquid sealed bearings etc for noise of operation. IE a Western Digital would be my choice, the nice 8-16MB cache version, sealed liquid bearings (no longer advertised, but I believe they all are) .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2000150014+50001306&Subcategory=14&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&ATTR2=2000150014+50001306&ATTR3=&ATTR5=&ATTR7=

Go for the more expensive in the case of this.... I am using this for a hard drive sled (enclosure) which is very quiet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145656

If I had to choose an external hard drive..... Meh any brand I would purchase is way over priced.

95bcwh

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2006, 09:06 pm »
Quote from: Thump553
I'm relieved your past experiences with Tiger Direct went well, but it really is playing Russian Roulette trying to get their rebates paid.  

Next week (2/19 to 2/25) Staples (which is top-notch on rebates) will have a 200 GB Maxtor internal hard drive for $39.94 after a $40 rebate (SKU 504517) which is real tempting if you want to build your own external as suggested above.  They will also have a Maxtor 200GB external for $129.94 (SKU 594774).

Some people dump on Maxtor but I've always had decent luc ...

Man....200GB for only $39.94....I guess I have to :lol:  pull my trigger again...

F-100

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2006, 09:07 pm »
Check out Western Digital's 1 year warranty vs Seagate's 5 years.
http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policyfaq_dir.asp
http://5yrwarranty.seagatestorage.com

That is the main reason why I like Seagate better.  :D

RDaneel

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2006, 09:33 pm »
I went with CompUSA stuff thanks to their rebate on the Maxtor 200gb discs a couple weeks ago.  I got two decent external enclosures (that are spec'd to handle 400gb drives) at the same time, so it was $35 (Maxtor) + $90 (2nd 200gb drive, a Seagate) + $50 (enclosures) = $175 for 200gb with a mirror for backup.  Not too shabby... Plus, when I outgrow the 200s, the price on 400s will have come down and I'll just go with those drives in the same enclosure.

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2006, 09:43 pm »
I can live with out a five year warrenty to have a good performing drive that I feel good with.

PeteG

Re: External Drive bargain for Slim Device SB3 server???
« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2006, 12:49 am »
I seen this today at OfficeMax.

Seagate 400

sonofcolin

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2006, 02:59 pm »
Thought I'd chime in here.
I bought 2 x 500Gb Maxtor internal SATA drives for $179 each, which I use in a mirrored RAID setup. I don't want to have to re-rip 250Gb worth of CD's again if one of the drives fail and I also have plenty of room for expansion.

I highly recommend this setup!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2006, 03:18 pm »
BB has WD 320 Gig internal IDE drives for $99 after instant rebate. 

Bryan

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:37 pm »
I bought an external USB WD 500g at Best Buy last weekend for $199 to go with Slimserver/ Clarkconnect 4.0 Linux on an old Dell 1000 laptop.  Darn thing wouldn't run WinXP worth a darn, but it seems PERFECT for this application.  So far so good.  I'm ripping CD's to the drive as fast as I can go at the moment and am up to about 75 now.  Maybe by the end of the holidays I'll have the whole collection done.

Tom