RA8 Review on Secrets

trekker

RA8 Review on Secrets
« on: 13 Feb 2006, 05:29 am »

kfr01

Re: RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2006, 06:03 am »
Quote from: trekker
FYI, Secrets had just reviewed the RA8 here: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/raw-acoustics-ra-8-speakers-2-2006-part-1.html

Congrats on a great review, Al.

Milehighguy

RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2006, 07:59 am »
The review mirrors my own experience to a large degree. When you start to talk about the strong points of the speakers , you can just go on and on.
Jared said they were open, detailed, transparent, smooth, punchy,and well balanced. Also good seperation between instruments, with a room-filling soundstage that is wide and deep, and has a large sweet spot . They were easy to set up, with non-critical placement. Even your wife will hear the difference, and you will want to re-listen to old cd's again.
Did I miss anything?
I would add that they sound great at low volumes, and you will find yourself listening to the music instead of analyzing your system. And no listener fatigue, just very enjoyable for long periods.
I really like the large, tall, "wall of sound" they produce, and wonderful vocals.Oh, and they are very dynamic.
But, I'm starting to go on and on...
A couple of nit-picks:
The "8 to 100 watt" rating should not lead you to believe that 100 watts is their limit. I'm sure they can handle much more if you want to go deaf.
The "8 midbass speakers" is really 2 midranges and 6 bass speakers ( by the way, what can be a better, more coherant crossover that to transition between identical drivers? And the mids are spared trying to reproduce bass notes).
Finally, I would say what I always do. Although these sound great by themselves, I think of them as the ideal satelite speakers. Put them with a decent subwoofer crossed over low, and run them full range, and then you really have it all. But you don't need the sub right away if your budget won't allow.
I hope the review drums up some business for Al and helps spread the word about these excellant and yet affordable speakers.

P.S. The RA8's are also good for impressing your friends. And not just "normal" people, but your audiophile friends too.

Nick V

RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2006, 08:55 pm »
It's a shame that the reviewer has an inexpensive system with low end electronics, and no speakers of similar quality with which to compare.

I have no doubt that these speakers are fantastic (I have a pair of GR Diluceo's built by RAW) and I've been eyeing these RA8's since their release. I just don't think this review will command the respect and credibility that these speakers deserve.

It would be great to see what someone with top notch electronics and comparable $$ speakers would have to say about them.

gitarretyp

RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2006, 09:09 pm »
The reviewer also makes a few mistakes: he notes several times that this is a line array, and contributes several aspects of its performance to that fact. This design is not a line array and the aspects he contributes to its being a line array are due to its having well engineered horizontal dispersion.

I haven't heard the RA8, but i have heard danny's open baffles which are somewhat similar in design. If the ra8s are at all like the open baffles, they are really great speakers, but i do have problems with this review.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2006, 10:50 pm »
Quote from: gitarretyp
The reviewer also makes a few mistakes: he notes several times that this is a line array, and contributes several aspects of its performance to that fact. This design is not a line array and the aspects he contributes to its being a line array are due to its having well engineered horizontal dispersion.

I haven't heard the RA8, but i have heard danny's open baffles which are somewhat similar in design. If the ra8s are at all like the open baffles, they are really great speakers, but i do have problems with this review.

To help clarify the issue, please define for me what constitutes a true line-array. I am looking further into this issue and will corect the review as needed

Also I would be very interested to hear what else about my review you had problems with.

Thanks,

Jared Rachwalski

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2006, 10:58 pm »
Quote from: Nick V
It's a shame that the reviewer has an inexpensive system with low end electronics, and no speakers of similar quality with which to compare.

I have no doubt that these speakers are fantastic (I have a pair of GR Diluceo's built by RAW) and I've been eyeing these RA8's since their release. I just don't think this review will command the respect and credibility that these speakers deserve.

It would be great to see what someone with top notch electronics and comparable $$ speakers would have to say about them.

Trust me, I sure wish I had a much better system to test the speakers with.  Unfortunatly at the time of review that was all I had availible to work with.

The fact that you can run theses speakers off low-powered budget gear and still achive great sound is a big plus.

ctviggen

RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2006, 11:01 pm »
It certainly looks like a line array to me.  Perhaps it's not a "true" line array in that there's not an array of tweeters and midranges:

"In most practical line arrays a two-way system is established by placing a vertical line of
small woofers that operate across the lower frequency range. This line crosses over to a
vertical line of tweeters that covers the higher frequency range."

See:  http://www.audiodiycentral.com/resource/pdf/nflawp.pdf

Certainly, though the bass seems to be very close to a line array.  It's a WWWMTMWWW design.  Maybe it's a bass line array with a Di'Appolito (sp?) speaker stuck in the middle?

trekker

RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2006, 11:12 pm »
According to a post by Danny:

Quote from: Danny
... the array is actually a long WWWMTMWWW configuration. Only the two inner woofers in a sealed box section crossover to the tweeter. The outer six woofers are filling in all the baffle step loss (so that there is no loss) and crossing over to the center woofers in the 230Hz range. The outer woofers are in a ported box.

RAW

RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2006, 12:44 am »
Well thanks to all of you for the input on the RA8.
Yes we know these are and have been a sleeper in the field for a few months but really time as well as being a Canadian company puts a few things into the mix as well as holds back a few people from purchasing.

We get asked over and over again that we have a great product but the taxes and duty to the US are just not good!!

First off there is no duty to the USA from RAW.
WHY. We (Canada) are duty free with speakers MADE IN CANADA. to the USA.

Taxs  DO NOT APPLY to the goods going south!
All the stories of taxes and duty on goods only applies for goods coming into Canada.

There may be duty from other countries into the USA but not Canada made goods!

Now I have that out in the open.

As well we are shipping the RA8 with custom double walled boxs and 1.5" solid foam all around the speakers. Plus outer plywood cabinets.

Well we have now put them in all this packing materials as well as a small create for each RA8.Really these are not that small and even at 110lbs each the weight of the RA8 is not easy to move and to prevent damage period we feel this is the best way to prevent  damage from shipping a large speaker.
Shipping is included to the US and Canada on the RA8 this also takes away the fact of people guessing how much shipping will be from CANADA.

This way we have a set price including shipping.

As for the issues with the review, we never recieved a pre release and have asked for a few changes to be corrected.

Yes the RA8 is a 3 way not a large 2 way MTM.
In fact the plans are on the site and the MTM in the middle uses 2 of the 16ohm drivers in a sealed cabinet.
Then the outer 6 woofers are providing the low end of the design.

This way we have 6 woofers ported and a pair of them sealed in the middle.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2006, 01:06 am »
Congrats Al.

George

Kevin Haskins

RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2006, 01:12 am »
Great Job Al!   Cudos on the great review!

tdangelo

RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2006, 02:53 pm »
nice review Al ;)  I was wondering, are my Apex going to be packaged the same way as the RA8's?

Thanks

Tony

RAW

RA8 Review on Secrets
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2006, 08:21 pm »
Thanks Kevin and George :wink:

Tony

The Apex come in crates! A little more to them than the RA8 in weight :dance: