Notes on the Timepiece 2.1

Double Ugly

« Reply #80 on: 4 May 2006, 04:06 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Hey DU...after they arrive....can I borrow yours ? :wink:

You're a great guy, Chris, and have loaned out more gear in the past 2 years than I ever hope to own.  Your love and support of this hobby/affliction is noteworthy to say the least, and if anyone here deserves a shot at borrowing a pair of Revelations, IMHO it's you.

As to borrowing mine, FUGGETABOUTIT!!!  :lol:  :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #81 on: 4 May 2006, 04:12 am »
DU :
As to borrowing mine, FUGGETABOUTIT!!!  
    Ahhhhh.....I thought so..... :lol: [/list:u]

Double Ugly

« Reply #82 on: 4 May 2006, 04:26 am »
DU :

Sorry, my friend.  Some things I'm just not willing to share, and unfortunately the Revelations are right up there with my wife.  :lol:

That said, you and the family have an open invitation to hear them anytime you want.  All that's required is that you leave your comfortable abode and travel to the cultural Mecca that is Mississippi.  :wink:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #83 on: 4 May 2006, 04:31 am »
and unfortunately the Revelations are right up there with my wife.  :lol:

... then who's down there with you?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #84 on: 4 May 2006, 04:33 am »
Quote from: Double Ugly
DU :

Sorry, my friend.  Some things I'm just not willing to share, and unfortunately the Revelations are right up there with my wife.  :lol:

That said, you and the family have an open invitation to hear them anytime you want.  All that's required is that you leave your comfortable abode and travel to the cultural Mecca that is Mississippi.  :wink:
I've been to Mississippi....a long time ago....Biloxi....right on the water. Guess its still being rebuildt now after the last hurricane. I had a very good time there...so who knows....maybe a return to MS in the future.
    I'll bring a big suitcase....maybe I can sneak those speakers out..... :jester: [/list:u]

Double Ugly

« Reply #85 on: 4 May 2006, 04:50 am »
Quote from: Russell Dawkins
and unfortunately the Revelations are right up there with my wife.  :lol:

... then who's down there with you?

And I'd tell you because...?  :wink:

I've been to Mississippi....a long time ago....Biloxi....right on the water. Guess its still being rebuildt now after the last hurricane. I had a very good time there...so who knows....maybe a return to MS in the future.
    I'll bring a big suitcase....maybe I can sneak those speakers out..... :jester: [/list:u]

I look forward to it!  :thumb:  :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #86 on: 12 May 2006, 03:00 am »
Quote from: Christof
I swung by Bob's shop about a week ago and saw an army of Timepiece's sitting upon his finishing bench.  There are going to be some very happy SP customers soon!  
So we have Carlman, and Double Ugly who have received their speakers....any other AC members expecting delivery soon ???

Double Ugly

« Reply #87 on: 12 May 2006, 03:07 am »
kyyuan has his pair, but he hasn't listened to them yet.  :o

lonewolfny42

« Reply #88 on: 12 May 2006, 03:13 am »
Quote from: Double Ugly
kyyuan has his pair, but he hasn't listened to them yet.  :o
Thanks Jim.... 8)
    So....NC , MS, and TX.....cool !! 8) [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #89 on: 12 May 2006, 03:23 am »
I'm expecting  a pair of Timepieces in about 2 weeks, which is about when I can expect my custom stands to be finished (I'm making them; my design)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #90 on: 12 May 2006, 03:32 am »
I'm expecting  a pair of Timepieces in about 2 weeks, which is about when I can expect my custom stands to be finished (I'm making them; my design)
Thats great Russell.... :beer:
    Can you take a photo of your stands when their done ? Thanks !!![/list:u]

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #91 on: 12 May 2006, 03:59 am »
Yes, Chris, I can hardly wait.
The stands will be more utiliarian than beautiful. I pretty well have to make my own because I can't find any manufactured ones I like the look of that are high enough. They need to be about 40" tall.

I am incorporating a minimal size (actually 12.5 X 15.75 X 5" WDH) compartment open to the rear that forms the top plate and matches the dimensions of the Timepiece exactly (I hope). The uprights will be MDF, probably; two pieces in a triangular arrangement, wide apart at the rear, attached together at the front, possibly a piece across the back so  I can mass load it. The compartment is for a clas  D amp of some kind. It'll fit most of the current contenders in monoblocks, such as Nuforce ref9, Bel Canto e.One REF1000s just about perfectly. I'm looking for suitable brass adjustable pointy feet. One thing I haven't decided on is how many feet - 2 or 3. I like the fact that with three, they are all loaded more or less equally but there is a little less insurance against tip over. With 4 and with less than perfectly flat floors, which I don't have, there is the chance that one foot is unloaded slightly, making it an assymetrical triangle.
I'll paint them the  same as the studio black that the TPs come in.

More of an investment in time than money, that's fer sure.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #92 on: 12 May 2006, 04:03 am »
Nice Russell !!!
    One thing most don't understand....until they have the speakers....they are large....and heavy. Alot are thinking....bookshelf...then you must have a very LARGE bookshelf.... :lol: [/list:u]
      I'll look forward to your listening comments... :D [/list:u]

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #93 on: 12 May 2006, 01:37 pm »
I'm looking for suitable brass adjustable pointy feet. One thing I haven't decided on is how many feet - 2 or 3. I like the fact that with three, they are all loaded more or less equally but there is a little less insurance against tip over. With 4 and with less than perfectly flat floors, which I don't have, there is the chance that one foot is unloaded slightly, making it an assymetrical triangle.

My recommendation would be to use Audio Points under the stand in a 4 point arrangement. You can "adjust" by using brass waskers. Between the stand and speaker, I would go with very small Audio Points in a 3 point arrangement. This is how my Continuums were setup and it did make a difference over using rubber bump-ons or spikes. A little more costly but in my opinion, will provide the best results.

I'll paint them the same as the studio black that the TPs come in.

If you want a good match, use spray on truck bed liner. You can obtain this from most auto parts stores. Being MDF you may have to do a few coats on the cut ends and sand between to get a uniform finish but when complete, it will be a very good match to the textured finish of the Timepieces.

Double Ugly

« Reply #94 on: 12 May 2006, 01:50 pm »
I'll paint them the same as the studio black that the TPs come in.

If you take Bill's advice and try Audio Points, live with the brass.  Painting them will seriously affect their performance, and I don't mean in a good way.

If you decided to go with a generic, I doubt you can do much to them that would make an audible difference.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #95 on: 12 May 2006, 01:57 pm »
If you take Bill's advice and try Audio Points, live with the brass. Painting them will seriously affect their performance, and I don't mean in a good way.

Absolutely.... do not paint Audio Points. The paint will actually dampen the cones in a manner that they will not work properly. Besides, The brass will be a nice contrast with the black!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #96 on: 12 May 2006, 04:38 pm »
thanks for the tips, Bill and Jim,
I was planning on using these:
http://www.starsound.biz/audiopoints.html
and I was not planning on painting them.
Bill, I don't see how using a washer will give me the fineness of adjustment I will need; that's one of my reasons for considering 3 points at the bottom.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #97 on: 12 May 2006, 04:49 pm »
Bill, I don't see how using a washer will give me the fineness of adjustment I will need; that's one of my reasons for considering 3 points at the bottom.

Hi Russell,
 If using a 4 point configuration, the washers would allow for a snug fit if your floor is uneven as it is not recommended to unscrew the audio Points to get all 4 touching evenly.

The 3 point arrangement would be fine if you have a large enough base with stability.

Double Ugly

« Reply #98 on: 12 May 2006, 05:08 pm »
thanks for the tips, Bill and Jim,

You're welcome.

I was planning on using these:
http://www.starsound.biz/audiopoints.html

That's what I have beneath my stands, and I use three of these tiny onesbetween the speakers and the stand's top plate.

and I was not planning on painting them.

Sorry...your comments here-

I'm looking for suitable brass adjustable pointy feet.  One thing I haven't decided on is how many feet - 2 or 3.  I like the fact that with three, they are all loaded more or less equally but there is a little less insurance against tip over.  With 4 and with less than perfectly flat floors, which I don't have, there is the chance that one foot is unloaded slightly, making it an assymetrical triangle.
I'll paint them the same as the studio black that the TPs come in.  (emphasis added - DU)

- especially the last sentence - led me to believe otherwise.

I've used the threaded version adjusted to the proper height and it's worked great for over 2 years now.  The adjustments were minimal though, so I didn't consider using washers.  However, you can use the washers Bill spoke of (here) to take up the slack if you want.

If need be, you can also purchase the brass inserts here.  

You're right, though;  3 is better than 4, and since you're building your own stands, you get to make the call.  The speakers themselves are 65 lbs ea., so it's going to take a pretty good knock to make them topple over, regardless of the number of points you use.

What are you planning to use for fill?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #99 on: 12 May 2006, 05:39 pm »
What are you planning to use for fill?

Since he is going this far already why not consider.....
http://www.audiopoints.com/micro.html

I found it to be noticable better than sand although at a price. I also have some 10 lb. lead blocks that I have used within stands.