Notes on the Timepiece 2.1
« Reply #60 on: 3 May 2006, 04:50 am »
I thought you would like that post, Bob  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #61 on: 3 May 2006, 04:59 am »
Quote from: SP Pres
The biggest surprise is that the '57 sounds less transparent than the Timepiece.

Huh? :o   So why am I not rich$$$!!! :bounce:  :scratch:

-Bob
cus....you don't build them fast enough for more people to hear..... :|

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #62 on: 3 May 2006, 05:11 am »
... or maybe because you are not hiring the chair guy to polish your public image  :roll:

by the way, thanks for keeping us informed , Bica.
I am amazed at that result.
I always thought that the Quad 57s, in particular, were some of the most transparent speakers I've heard and, frankly, that would have been the one aspect in which they might better the Timepieces, if no other.
That, and possibly cleaner bass. It's hard to beat dipolar bass quality in my experience, but then I have yet to hear the Timepieces.
Won't be long!
Russell

Bica

• http://www.bica.com.tw
« Reply #63 on: 3 May 2006, 06:29 am »
For those of you who might be interested, the associated equipment I use with the Quad is as follows,

Allen Wright Level 5 Sony DVP-S9000ES, Philips SACD1000, Allen Wright Level 5+ Sony SCD-1

Modwright SWL9.0 SE

Allen Wright dpa300B

solid core silver I/C and a no-brand speaker cable

In two weeks time I'll also have an LP system set up (ZYX Airy 3, Decca MkV Maroon, Gold and C4E; Breuer, Rabco, Hadcock and Decca Universal; Goldmund Studio, Cetech Linn LP12 and a Teres based DIY; K&K phono; Allen Wright RTP3D) too. Really miss listening to my favorite LP albums...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #64 on: 3 May 2006, 06:52 am »
Bica....Are these your amps ? Thanks..... 8)

Bica

« Reply #65 on: 3 May 2006, 07:03 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Bica....Are these your amps ? Thanks..... 8)

Yes. And may I say I really love them...
Allen and Bob are two audio engineers whom I really respect--Perfectionist approach, original thinking and thorough engineering. These brilliant designers are a gift from God.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #66 on: 3 May 2006, 07:08 am »
They look great Bica....and from the reviews....very nice. Thanks !! 8)
    Oh....whats with that no brand speaker cable ? Just wondering...... :? [/list:u]

Bica

« Reply #67 on: 3 May 2006, 07:25 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
They look great Bica....and from the reviews....very nice. Thanks !! 8)
    Oh....whats with that no brand speaker cable ? Just wondering...... :? [/list:u]

Certain left-over from an OEM cable maker in Taiwan (most high-end cables are produced in Taiwan...:shh: ) The I/C and speaker cable are probably the weakest link in my system and will be replaced with very thin silver foil ones soon.

bhobba

« Reply #68 on: 3 May 2006, 11:19 am »
Quote from: Bica
The biggest surprise is that the '57 sounds less transparent than the Timepiece.

Wow, wow - that's all I can say.  The quads are simply the most transparent speaker I have ever heard.  Boy am I looking forward to when I can get my speakers delivered.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #69 on: 3 May 2006, 11:27 am »
Quote from: SP Pres
Huh? :o   So why am I not  rich$$$!!! :bounce:  :scratch:

Only one answer Bob - people havn't heard them.  If they can kill a quad they are something special.  We really need to put our minds to getting these speakers a greater audience.  There is a local electronics mag over here (Silicon Chip) whose editrr, Leo Simpson, I respect.  I am toying with the idea of getting my speakers deivered to him for auditioning and a technical write up.  It may cost me a little - but what the heck - if they can go toe to toe with a quad they deserve the publicity.

Thanks
Bill

Christof

« Reply #70 on: 3 May 2006, 12:10 pm »
I swung by Bob's shop about a week ago and saw an army of Timepiece's sitting upon his finishing bench.  There are going to be some very happy SP customers soon!  

It did strike me that it must be very hard for Bob to get these speakers out in large qty's since he is NOT the type of guy to let anything out of his hands unless he feels it is absolutely perfect.  Unfortunately, the shaddy QC of darn near everything produced in this day and age makes producing a final product trying to say the least
 :x

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #71 on: 3 May 2006, 12:28 pm »
Audio at this performance level is a tough market to crack.  You are going up against companies that have been around a long time, and have big advertising budgets.  They spend tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars per year getting their message out.

You have magazines like Stereophile, who won't even consider reviewing a product from a company that hasn't been around for many years.

SP Tech can't compete with the big guys advertising budgets, and they haven't been around long enough to warrant the attention of the most popular magazines.

It is up to us, the "early adopters", to promote SP Tech.  Write magazine editors, get on the other forums (and post), and tell your audiophile friends.  The AudioCircle is a tiny forum in a tiny niche of the audio community, and we already know about SP Tech.  What about audioholics?  Audio Asylum, the Audiogon forums, etc.?  As listeners, and customers you are free to post on these boards, and if you feel that strongly about SP Tech you should.  As dealers and manufacturers, we have less credibility posting on them, if we can post on them at all.

Bottom line:  It is up to you, the "converted", to spread the message.  Go visit the other forums, and spread the word.  We owe it to Bob for making such a great product.

Cheers!

Double Ugly

« Reply #72 on: 3 May 2006, 12:37 pm »

Hmmm...I seem to recall someone privately suggesting that might be the case a few months ago.

I don't suppose you recall who that was, do you Bica?  :wink:

And though it may be off-topic here, I'll take this opportunity to tell you again...if you think the Timepieces are special (and I agree, they are), wait'll you hear the Revelations.  :o

Jim

Carl V

« Reply #73 on: 3 May 2006, 04:19 pm »
Just took delievery of very nice Wlanut MTM Concert series speakers
SP technology AV-2.

First of all Bob was always congenial & informative.

The Speakers came as promised via BAX Global.
They were expertly Packaged & arrived unscathed.

The craftmanship is quite good.  I've seen & listened
to his products at a few shows now.  I was impressed
enu'ff to buy a pair.

They have 24 hours of Burn in CD (Ayre & Purist Audio)
on them so far.  Speakers face to face wired out of phase
heavy furniture blanket over them.  Intially out of the box
sound was good..  Today is nice & I expect them to continue
to loosen up & sound fine.

Thank you Bob.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #74 on: 3 May 2006, 04:25 pm »
They have 24 hours of Burn in CD (Ayre & Purist Audio)
on them so far. Speakers face to face wired out of phase
heavy furniture blanket over them. Intially out of the box
sound was good.. Today is nice & I expect them to continue
to loosen up & sound fine

Hi Carl,
  These speakers do not take anywhere near as long to break in as the Musica Bellas (due to crossover components). I think after about 50 hours, you should start noticing the potential of them.
 I think you may be ready now to start listening a break-in as you go. The surrounds ahould be starting to loosen up now

Bica

« Reply #75 on: 4 May 2006, 01:02 am »
It's my belief--from my past experiences--that even if you place the Timepiece and a much inferior, but more famous, speaker side by side for a comparison, some would still say that they prefer the other speaker for some reason (more "musical", more "warmth", etc.). The SSasen review of NuForce comes to mind.

All I can do is try to invite as many people to my listening room--and before that, I suggest them to go to a concert.

I personally love electrostatic speakers (it's one of the most romantic ideas ever in audio; And love is blind--or should I say deaf), so I will not relent until, some day, I find a way to build an electrostatic DIY project that beats Bob's speakers!  :lol:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #76 on: 4 May 2006, 01:42 am »
Here's an interesting side by side. (Picture below) The Musica Bella SP/AV-2 and the Continuum AD. This is an arrangement that I have found to be very interesting. The Continuums are obviusly in a different world as compared to the Bellas but many that hear the two together give the Bellas two thumbs up if looking for a speaker in the $3k range.

I think many people that would pick another speaker over the Timepiece initially are not quite ready for what they are hearing from them. If they spend more time with the Timepieces, I am sure their brains would start to realize what an exceptional speaker it really is.

I have not personally heard the Timepiece but obviously have spent some time with the Continuum. Truly amazing.

By the way, the speaker stand under the Bella is the matching Golden Ration stand for the Continuum and the stands under the Continuum are pieces I had custom designed for my Bella speakers. They are obviously very well suited for the 100 lbs. + of the Continuum speakers.

Bica

« Reply #77 on: 4 May 2006, 03:35 am »
Quote from: Double Ugly
Hmmm...I seem to recall someone privately suggesting that might be the case a few months ago.

I don't suppose you recall who that was, do you Bica?  :wink:

Hmmm, I have a bad memory (except for good sound...); Who was that :P

And though it may be off-topic here, I'll take this opportunity to tell you again...if you think the Timepieces are special (and I agree, they are), wait'll you hear the Revelations.  :o  

I actually have to first get over my bias against the MTM configuration (although Bob's crossover point is indeed very low, so it might be irrelevent). A soft dome and a 8" woofer bettering my beloved 'Stat is already depressing enough, so don't push me over my limit, at least not so soon please, Mr. Double Ugly  :shake:

Double Ugly

« Reply #78 on: 4 May 2006, 03:50 am »
I actually have to first get over my bias against the MTM configuration (although Bob's crossover point is indeed very low, so it might be irrelevent). A soft dome and a 8" woofer bettering my beloved 'Stat is already depressing enough, so don't push me over my limit, at least not so soon please, Mr. Double Ugly  :shake:

Nah...I don't have any desire or intent to push you into anything.  I'm just offering a little insight drawn from my experience with and perception of the Revelations...not unlike the yet-to-be-named author of the PM who suggested the Timepieces might ultimately prove more transparent than you first thought.  :wink:

Jim

lonewolfny42

« Reply #79 on: 4 May 2006, 03:50 am »
After finally getting to hear the Revelation speakers....yep, their SOME speaker....... :hyper:
    [/list:u]
      Hey DU...after they arrive....can I borrow yours ? :wink: [/list:u]