Weekend listening

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Weekend listening
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb 2006, 02:18 am »
They had sooo many chances earlier in the game, it could easily have been 6-3 in regulation.  Great way to head into the break.

Inscrutable

Weekend listening
« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2006, 02:20 am »
Hey now... I could only play what Carl had stored on his machine!!
Yes, I think we will have to assess a double penalty for both STORING Carly Simon, and then PLAYING her.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Weekend listening
« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2006, 04:37 am »
Carl,
    [/list:u]
      This opening...do you have a new acoustic solution for it besides the screen you use now ?[/list:u]
        From the pictures that sheadlee posted...looks good , nice job ! :) [/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]

Inscrutable

Weekend listening
    « Reply #23 on: 14 Feb 2006, 11:18 am »
    Carl et al,
    I never had the chance to hear your system with the TacT prior to room treatments (other than the modest 8th nerve setup)., but this latest iteration was pretty impressive.  There was certainly much better defined bass, more natural.  I wish I'd thought to ask you to switch the TacT into bypass to hear just the effect of the treatments.  This is not unlike a very recent experience I had at another friend's house who'd just installed the Velodyne SMS1.  At first blush there appears to be a bit less bass output, but then you realize that it has removed some of the articial emphasis that causes it to sound louder, but in retrospect a little fuzzy and tubby.  We listened to one passage with a lot of bass guitar, and until the SMS was switched in it obscured faint organ notes very close in pitch.  Your room now seems similar to me.  My guess (we didn't listen to any classical) is that massed strings will now be much more defined and identifiable.  The lower mids clear up a bit too.  Heck, it was pretty obvious as we were talking and moving from the hall into the room that the room had pretty much been removed from the equation.

I see you have another thread asking about other speakers - larger monitors or even small floorstanders - and I held off replying until I'd heard the new room.  Didn't really have enough time to talk about tir over there.  I also didn't see the resulting curve on the TacT, but I'd guess you have good flat response down into the mid to high 30's now?  I think youmay have trouble getting much lower with any relatively affordable monitor, and with the small room don't think you'll get a larger floorstander to sound very coherent.  I have a few ideas in mind if you just have to try something different, or want a somewhat different flavor in the mids/highs ... but it seems you are pretty happy with the Usher flavor now.  Maybe you can divert some hardware $ to get a couple CD's to replace that Carly Simon, and return her to her rightful place among things that should be seen and not heard.  :wink:

Inscrutable

Weekend listening
    « Reply #24 on: 14 Feb 2006, 11:20 am »
    This opening...do you have a new acoustic solution for it besides the screen you use now ?
    Chris, he tried a couple old well=padded guys standing around, but the reflections off the beer bottles were still a problem.  The WAF was pretty much in negative numbers too.  :wink:
    Tim

Carlman

Weekend listening
    « Reply #25 on: 14 Feb 2006, 02:12 pm »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    Carl,
      This opening...do you have a new acoustic solution for it besides the screen you use now ?[/list:u]
        From the pictures that sheadlee posted...looks good , nice job ! :) [/list:u]

Yes... doors have been planned for months but the contract fell through.  We had issues with Home Depot's door department... now I'm back to square 1.  I'll likely hang some basic french doors myself one weekend and save a few bucks.  I plan on hanging some acoustic treatments on the doors also to keep sound from passing through so much.  The basic doors aren't exactly soundproof. ;)  

Thanks for the compliments! :)  My wife is still pleased with the look.  Of course, she chose the fabric... which helped.

-C

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
    Weekend listening
    « Reply #26 on: 14 Feb 2006, 04:49 pm »
    Quote from: Inscrutable
    Chris, he tried a couple old well=padded guys standing around, but the reflections off the beer bottles were still a problem.  The WAF was pretty much in negative numbers too.  :wink:
    Tim
    Tim...next time cover those beer's, it will help the acoustics.... :lol:
      [/list:u]
      Carl....thanks !! :beer: [/list:u]

Inscrutable

Weekend listening
    « Reply #27 on: 16 Feb 2006, 10:40 am »
    Tim...next time cover those beer's, it will help the acoustics....
    Chris,
    You know, contrary to what one might think, it degrades with one or two, but improes with many more .. provided of course that they are empty.  :)

Carlman

Weekend listening
    « Reply #28 on: 7 May 2006, 09:48 pm »
    Quote from: Carlman
    ........When we compared the different PS's for the Squeezebox while using the digital out, I didn't....... etc.

OK, it's been a while since this comparison and I've been using the RWA modified SB3 ever since this event in my office.  I updated the software and firmware on both the SB3's yesterday and put the unmodified back into the office system.  Wow, what a difference.  The bass is a good bit boomier and the highs are a bit less 'real' sounding.  It sounds like someone hit the 'loudness' button.

I have not played with polarity and such because it's a pain... but I am pretty amazed at how much change there was going from the RWA SB3 to the stock one with all else being the same.  I think the stock one would annoy me a little in comparison if it were in my main rig.  But, since it's in a second-system that's generally playing at low volume, the stock one is better suited there.

Interesting stuff.. just felt I should share that the presentation of these SB3's can be altered quite a bit with mods.  I'm still using a cheap linear PS from Acopian.  I should re-compare that as well now... As time permits...

-C