RWA SB3 mod comparison with RWA USB Select?

fu_man

« on: 4 Feb 2006, 03:05 am »
Vinnie,
how would you compare the sound  quality of you modded SB3  to your USB Select?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: RWA SB3 mod comparison with RWA USB Select?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2006, 05:23 pm »
Quote from: fu_man
Vinnie,
how would you compare the sound  quality of you modded SB3  to your USB Select?

Hi fu_man,

Welcome to Audiocircle!

I'd have to do a critical comparison the next time I build a USB Select.  The SB3 mods have been much more popular these days...

Regards,

fu_man

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2006, 11:18 am »
Thanks Vinnie, and thanks  for the welcome.
I  am surprised that the question hasn't  come  up  before,  especially given the limited options for high  sound  quality   gear  at  these  sorts of  prices.  Oh well i guess  i  will have to jump on the  bandwagon and  the  waiting list!  
I originally came across the idea of a  comp.  system  to replace  my failing  CDP at  Steves'  EA site and  after much  confusion decided to go for a USB Freeway....  until a  day or  two later the I2S freeway  became an option...  which  threw  me  back in a 'too many   options'  quandary.

The offerings  at  this  site have  been  invaluable to help give  some clarity to the whole issue and I have decided  to start  piece by piece, so i'll use my existng old PC  and start off with a  SB3mod.
When  Steve unleashes his   Wifi converter, or  when i  can find/afford  a I2S input  DAC I hope to give one a  go and  compare for myself.  
(can anyone direct me to reviews on the  North Star  DAC?)  

A  final thanks to all the regular  contributors who have posted their  thoughts  and  comparisons.

slugworth

North Star m192 DAC
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2006, 06:21 am »
Try www.tnt-audio.com. Looks like they are going for about $700 on audiogon.

fu_man

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2006, 02:55 am »
Thanks for the link.  i bought a  couple of the  SB3's and  when i get them i'll try them out on my Xindak DAC and see how it all goes first.  i havent seen a lot of  reviews on the Xindak but just bought it as it  was  cheap and local (used)