Initial review of stock SB3 vs. Modified SB3 vs. Transport

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
System used
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jan 2006, 01:53 am »
Quote from: Paul_Bui
Thanks DaveHG for the review.

I wonder what amp are you and mgalusha using when assessing the modded SB2.  IMHO, a synergy among source (xport/dac), amp, and speakers is needed if a modded SB2's potentials are fully realized and appreciated.

After realizing that my BB FTA2000s are power hungry especially with the BSC circuits installed, I decided to put the Audio Sector's 50w Patek into the equation, and the relatively lightweight character is replaced with a full body, warm, and dynamic representatio ...

I am using a VAC Avatar SE, a 30wpc (in Triode) integrated tube amp. It is attached to an upgraded  FIM AC outlet, and uses a Foundation Research LC-2 power cord/conditioner.  I run the Tri-Vista into the same outlet using an LC-1. The rest of the gear (the SB3 and the REL) is connected to a JR filter (the DIY version) using all Cardas Golden Reference AC cables; this filter (with its 4 outlets) is connected to another upgraded AC outlet in the same room.

I don't think the VAC is particularly power hungry, and I know the REL is not. Wayne @ Bolder and a few others have opined that upgrading the Bolder PS with Jensen caps will add more body, as will a revised power cable. I  have found Wayne's comments to be spot on in prior gear, so it looks like I am getting out my wallet again.

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
System used
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2006, 01:54 am »
Quote from: Paul_Bui
Thanks DaveHG for the review.

I wonder what amp are you and mgalusha using when assessing the modded SB2.  IMHO, a synergy among source (xport/dac), amp, and speakers is needed if a modded SB2's potentials are fully realized and appreciated.

After realizing that my BB FTA2000s are power hungry especially with the BSC circuits installed, I decided to put the Audio Sector's 50w Patek into the equation, and the relatively lightweight character is replaced with a full body, warm, and dynamic representatio ...

I am using a VAC Avatar SE, a 30wpc (in Triode) integrated tube amp. It is attached to an upgraded  FIM AC outlet, and uses a Foundation Research LC-2 power cord/conditioner.  I run the Tri-Vista into the same outlet using an LC-1. The rest of the gear (the SB3 and the REL) is connected to a JR filter (the DIY version) using all Cardas Golden Reference AC cables; this filter (with its 4 outlets) is connected to another upgraded AC outlet in the same room.

I don't think the VAC is particularly power hungry, and I know the REL is not. Wayne @ Bolder and a few others have opined that upgrading the Bolder PS with Jensen caps will add more body, as will a revised power cable. I  have found Wayne's comments to be spot on in prior gear, so it looks like I am getting out my wallet again.

PeteG

Initial review of stock SB3 vs. Modified SB3 vs. Transport
« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2006, 03:09 am »
Sorry for Hijacking,

In regards to the power supply on ebay, it’s a nice step up from the stock PS.
But, the power supplies from Bolder Cable is definitely on another level up, especially
when you get closer to Wayne’s ultimate power supply which is amazing.

Pete