Basic metalworking questions

BillEpstein

Coming in late I may be off base, but
« Reply #20 on: 2 Feb 2006, 03:17 am »
If you have 8 dificult shapes, why not make 1 from 1/4" hardboard then use a top-bearing pattern-following router bit to make the rest? The bit's not cheap but lasts forver.
http://www.internationaltool.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FRE50102&Category_Code=

analog97

« Reply #21 on: 2 Feb 2006, 03:59 am »
Never heard of this before.  Kindalike a poor man's CNC machine.  Looks like it only works for wood.  I was pondering a wood chassis today.......Thanks for the idea, Bill.      Larry

hagtech

« Reply #22 on: 2 Feb 2006, 07:15 am »
You know, maybe with the larger chassis you can use the plastic cover plates.  That would hide any chassis work.  Maybe you could get away with a big rectangle, mimic a wall box.

jh

Berndt

« Reply #23 on: 26 Apr 2006, 10:48 pm »
using a router for aluminum is a machinists secret.
For .125" or less this is fairly easy, I suggest conventional instaed of climb milling if possible. The limitations are your strength, when using corner rounding bits don't try to take the whole radius at one shot.
I use a mounted router or a bridgeport spindle wide open, and I use wd40 to mitigate the buildup of aluminum on the cutter.
Wear long sleeves as the chips coming of the cutter are hot.

rotcoddam

« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2006, 05:11 am »
If you size the rectangle like Jim suggested and cover it with a recept plate,  remember to make it big enough for the recept body, but small enough so you can tap the top and bottom screw holes. Stainless steel plates might look nice. Homey Depot's has them.