Anyone want to split SB3 order with me??

mpauly

« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2006, 08:53 pm »
order placed....now the wait begins.

mpauly

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2006, 09:05 pm »
deleted (sorry for the double post)

95bcwh

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jan 2006, 10:34 pm »
Order shipped!!! For me and F-100 :mrgreen:

maxwalrath

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jan 2006, 10:39 pm »
Order went out this morning for me and Slurve.

F-100

« Reply #24 on: 3 Mar 2006, 05:49 am »
Got my SB3 from Vinnie today. Woo Hoo!!!!  :bounce:  
Thanks Vinnie for the quick turn around time. :thankyou:

Now, back to my cave for some more RTFM because I haven't master the FLAC ripping technique yet. :scratch:

mpauly

« Reply #25 on: 3 Mar 2006, 02:03 pm »
Ohh, forgot to post, got mine on Monday.  Vinnie's new mods are very clean and turnaround was faster than he originally stated.

Been playing with it every night, getting familiar with interface, playing with all the features.  This thing is cool!!!  I'm letting it break in before I do any serious listening, but out of the box, the sound is decent.  Getting considerable harshness in the upper mids on complex/loud passages and bass is a little leaner.  Hopefully that's the new blackgates burning in.

Question on burning this thing in.  I've been leaving it on 24/7 playing random mix, but I have my amp turned off.  Is this even effective?  Would it be better to have my amp on (would need to disconnect my speakers though)?  Would I get the same benefit of just having it powered on?

F-100, what issues are you having with FLAC?  Been using EAC and FLAC Front End with no problems.  I've got nearly 300 cd's ripped so far, only 200 more to go.

F-100

« Reply #26 on: 3 Mar 2006, 06:16 pm »
Quote from: mpauly

Question on burning this thing in. I've been leaving it on 24/7 playing random mix, but I have my amp turned off. Is this even effective?

I would say so. That is what I'm also doing.

F-100, what issues are you having with FLAC? Been using EAC and FLAC Front End with no problems. I've got nearly 300 cd's ripped so far, only 200 more to go.

Believe it or not, this is my first time ripping music CD so I'm a newbie and just need a lot of hands-on experience. But thanks for the offer, I'll PM you if I need some help.

95bcwh

« Reply #27 on: 5 Mar 2006, 01:48 am »
Ohh, forgot to post, got mine on Monday.  Vinnie's new mods are very clean and turnaround was faster than he originally stated.

Been playing with it every night, getting familiar with interface, playing with all the features.  This thing is cool!!!  I'm letting it break in before I do any serious listening, but out of the box, the sound is decent.  Getting considerable harshness in the upper mids on complex/loud passages and bass is a little leaner.  Hopefully that's the new blackgates burning in.

Que ...

Hurray, Vinnie has just shipped my order too!

mpauly,
  Just wondering, which version of Slimserver are you currently using? I went to slimdevice websitea and saw they have 6.2.1, 6.2.2 and 6.5b1.

I decided to give each one of them a try, I started with 6.2.1, downloaded and installed it,  I went to the "firmware" directory and I can see that it's using version 28.

I remember reading in this forum a few months ago about comparison between firmware v15 and v28, many users seemed to agree that v15 is superior in sound quality. But there's also a minor issue with polarity when used the old RWA modded SB, but I'm not sure whether this issue will still affect the new mod  (see this thread):
   http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=23601

Now, when it comes to making a decision which version to install, I guess I'm at loss...

RV

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #28 on: 8 Mar 2006, 11:37 pm »
This thing is cool!!! I'm letting it break in before I do any serious listening, but out of the box, the sound is decent. Getting considerable harshness in the upper mids on complex/loud passages and bass is a little leaner. Hopefully that's the new blackgates burning in.

Hi mpauly,

Yes, this is a very typical new black gate thing....after about 200 hours, it is going to sound entirely different and better in every way.  

No need to leave your amp turned ON.  Just make sure the SB3 is connected to it (with it playing music, of course) and it will break in the same way.  Current will flow out of the unit and into the amp no matter if the amp is ON or OFF.

Please keep us posted on how you like the sound of the new RWA analog output mod.  You are one of the very first to have it!  No pressure!  :wink:

Thanks!

95bcwh

« Reply #29 on: 9 Mar 2006, 12:04 am »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Hi mpauly,

Yes, this is a very typical new black gate thing....after about 200 hours, it is going to sound entirely different and better in every way.  

No need to leave your amp turned ON.  Just make sure the SB3 is connected to it (with it playing music, of course) and it will break in the same way.  Current will flow out of the unit and into the amp no matter if the amp is ON or OFF.

Please keep us posted on how you like the sound of the new RWA analog output mod.  You are one of the very first to have it!  No pressure!  :wink:

Thanks!

First I have to thank Vinnie for shipping the SB3 to me so fast. I got it yesterday and set it up on my absolutely crap system just to test that it's working fine. Thank god that I don't have any issue with wireless network connection and my SB3 is running perfectly playing songs from my PC no problem.

I am still waiting for Jim Salk to make me a pair of HT3, so currently I do not have a high-resolution system to really test the SB3. I hooked up the SB3 to the system that I currently have:

Speakers: Orb speakers 5.1 consists of 3 x Mod2 for the front, 2 x Mod1 for the rear and 1 x sub, costed me a cheap $1000 in total.

DVD player/receiver: JVC RVX-D31SL, costed $249, now price dropped to $199!

As you can see, this is a crap system for undemanding listening (but better than the $4000 bose lifestyle48!).  I tried A/B playing songs from SB3, connect the SB3 analog output into the JVC DVD player/receiver, vs playing music CD with the JVC player/receiver.
The fact is, I can still hear the difference! The music played from SB3 has more "space" around it, the vocals and the mid range are not as forward, the high are more transparent. I did not sense any loss of dynamic what so ever. When playing CDs with the JVC player, the mid range is slightly stronger and the music sounds a bit compressed. To my surprise, even my wife told me that SB3 sounds better!

I'm going to lend this SB3 to a good friend of mine who has very good system, he will give me his opinion and I shall report back.

The only thing I find a bit inconvenient about the battery mod is I can only charge the battery OR listening to SB3 one at a time. That means I can't leave it to play for 200 hrs continously. Let me see, if I play 4 hours a day, it will take me 50 days to burn it in?!  :cry:

I can't wait to receive my HT3!! :mrgreen:

95bcwh

« Reply #30 on: 16 Mar 2006, 11:03 pm »
Looks like we've all been cheated by Slimdevices.. they're still offerring the $100 off for two units.. plus they now offer free shipping!!!

F-100

« Reply #31 on: 16 Mar 2006, 11:06 pm »
Maybe you should buy another one to average down your price.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: