SL Orion XO and Power Supply Mods, & multi-amping

mhr

« Reply #140 on: 20 Jun 2006, 02:27 am »
Hi Hugh,

Can you tell us something about the form factor of the power supply?

Is it designed for installation inside the case with the ASP or for external installation in a stand alone box?

Thanks for all replies in advance.

mhr

AKSA

« Reply #141 on: 21 Jun 2006, 02:34 am »
Hi Mark,

The pcb is large, around 4" x 4.5".  It would be best close to the crossover boards, but need not be mounted in the same case.

Filter caps on the xover board are removed except for the small bypass caps mounted near the ICs.

Sorry I was delayed responding;  page 15 did not show on your post, only visible from the splash page, because of a glitch in the pHp software.

Cheers,

Hugh

mhr

« Reply #142 on: 21 Jun 2006, 03:58 am »
Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the feedback as usual.

Please disregard my private email on the same topic.

Any idea on availability?

Take care,

mhr

AKSA

« Reply #143 on: 21 Jun 2006, 09:50 am »
Mark,

Soon.  I'm suffering setbacks almost every day at present;  the new power supply uses four encapsulated modules to keep the IP hidden.  These are labour intensive, I'm making a batch right now, but it's slow work.

I would hope to have about 40 modules made within in the next three weeks.  The pcbs are ready;  it will be essentially fully made up, ready to roll.

Cheers,

Hugh

mhr

« Reply #144 on: 21 Jun 2006, 11:41 pm »
Hi Hugh,

Please put me on the list.

Do you have a recommended transformer in mind?

Take care,

Mark

AKSA

« Reply #145 on: 22 Jun 2006, 02:55 am »
Hi Mark,

It is designed to operate from a 15-0-15Vac winding.  Most any trafo will do this fine;  it needs to be rated to at least 400mA however.

The same trafo does both channels;  hence the higher rating.  Raw DC off the rectifiers should be around 21V.  The design incorporates everything (separate rectifier blocks and filter caps for each channel, then the regulator circuitry) except the trafo - just the trafo is required to make it all work.

Cheers,

Hugh

jonnoshore

Re: SL Orion XO and Power Supply Mods, & multi-amping
« Reply #146 on: 12 Jul 2006, 07:23 pm »
Hi Mark,

It is designed to operate from a 15-0-15Vac winding.  Most any trafo will do this fine;  it needs to be rated to at least 400mA however.

The same trafo does both channels;  hence the higher rating.  Raw DC off the rectifiers should be around 21V.  The design incorporates everything (separate rectifier blocks and filter caps for each channel, then the regulator circuitry) except the trafo - just the trafo is required to make it all work.

Cheers,

Hugh

Has anyone considered using a dc-dc power supply for the psu... It is a big topic of discussion for Naim amp pre amps... Traco is the name and here is a thread where it is discussed on pink fish media...

http://63.99.108.232/forum/showthread.php?t=16840&highlight=traco

...in this application it was replacing multi-supply ALW super regs.

ctviggen

« Reply #147 on: 12 Jul 2006, 10:24 pm »
Why do you have to keep the IP hidden?  Once you file a patent application, you don't have to be secretive. 

AKSA

« Reply #148 on: 12 Jul 2006, 10:46 pm »
Hi Bob,

Are you referring to my new design?

If so, I don't intend to patent it......  it's just too expensive, only for large corporations.

Hugh

mhr

« Reply #149 on: 14 Jul 2006, 01:08 am »
Hi Hugh,

Any update on availability.

I am sure the Lifeforce takes precedent.

MHR
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2006, 02:11 am by mhr »

AKSA

« Reply #150 on: 14 Jul 2006, 01:59 am »
Mark,

I'm having some difficulty with the modules, and hope later today to talk to Kendal, a pcb assembler whom I hope to engage to do them all.  I'll keep you posted, thank you for the strong interest,

Cheers,

Hugh

mhr

« Reply #151 on: 14 Jul 2006, 02:12 am »
Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the update.

Mark

PSP

« Reply #152 on: 20 Jul 2006, 05:38 pm »
I'm beginning to work on the chassis layout for my Orion ASP, and I'm wondering if it's advisable to put Hugh's new power supply in the same chassis.  For Hugh, and those who are using Hugh's new power supply, what do you recommend?

Many thanks,
Peter

PT914

« Reply #153 on: 20 Jul 2006, 07:50 pm »
Peter,

I initially had the power supply board an inch from the ASP board and there was a hum in one channel.  The hum was gone when I moved the power supply board about eight inches away and placed a double ground plane board between the two.  The input side of the ASP board is the sensitive side.

Hope this helps,
Philip

andyr

« Reply #154 on: 20 Jul 2006, 08:24 pm »
Peter,

I initially had the power supply board an inch from the ASP board and there was a hum in one channel.  The hum was gone when I moved the power supply board about eight inches away and placed a double ground plane board between the two.  The input side of the ASP board is the sensitive side.

Hope this helps,
Philip
Hi Phillip,

Can you explain what a "double ground plane board" is ... as distinct to just putting a steel divider in the case between PSB and ASP (of course with holes for the DC rail wires!  :lol: )?

Thanks,

Andy

PSP

« Reply #155 on: 20 Jul 2006, 09:37 pm »
Hi Philip,
If I put the input side of the ASP toward the rear of the chassis where the I/O RCAs will go, do you think I can put the power supply in the front of the chassis?  That would mean routing mains AC around the ASP boards towards the front and running Hugh's magic DC back to ASP J9 and/or J10.

The alternative is to put them in seperate enclosures.  In that case, I have a longer umbilical which can pick up noise and which will contribute unwanted inductance.

Thoughts?

Some day, in some design problem, I will have a free lunch dammit! :green:

Thanks,
Peter

PT914

« Reply #156 on: 21 Jul 2006, 03:45 pm »
Hi Andy and Peter,

Double ground plane= PC board with ground planes on both sides.  I have all components on a wooden board.  Nothing enclosed in steel yet, so I cannot compare the two.  Distance is probably more important.

The "stock" power board was about 6 to 8 inches from ASP board and there was no hum.  I added a large film cap to the power supply board and at the same time moved the power board closer to the ASP board, trying to move the large cap away from the transformer.  That is when I heard a hum.  I moved the power board closer to the transformer and added the ground plane, that resolved the hum.  So, Peter, with the stock board you might be fine.

Philip

Dan Kolton

« Reply #157 on: 21 Jul 2006, 07:50 pm »
Hugh,

I get the impression from the recent posts that your power supply is now available for the Orion XO/EQ.  If so, what is the cost, how do I get one, and what else do I need?

AKSA

« Reply #158 on: 21 Jul 2006, 11:48 pm »
Hi Dan,

It's a bother, but the power supply has come together at the same time as a MC Headamp, the Paris, and a new power amplifier, the Lifeforce.  Since it's a brand new product, it's come second to the Lifeforce, which is a radical redesign of an already successful product.

In short, I'm flat out like a lizard drinking building the Lifeforce modules and have come up against a snag with the power supply.  I will need to employ someone with better eyes to do the tiny modules which contain all the naughty bits.....  this is a bind, and is holding it up.  I do have all the pcbs.

Anticipated cost is $US300 plus shipping as a largely complete kit.  All you will need will be a transformer.  Order by email to aksa1 at bigpond.com, stipulating voltage and current required.

This power supply was designed using error feedforward techniques, and is current, not voltage driven.  It really does make a difference to the sound, making the Orion very engaging and liquid.

Hope this is helpful, and thanks for the interest!

Cheers,

Hugh

SamL

« Reply #159 on: 11 Oct 2006, 11:54 pm »
I am sure many have seen the recent NaO II review by Bill (HiFiNutNu) over diyaudio.com.
For those that have not, this is the link-> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88008

Not a long or details review but NaO is holding its head high among the top end commercial speaker.

Have fun,
Sam