Long speaker run from computer...

nodiak

« on: 18 Jan 2006, 03:58 am »
Just wanted to throw this out. I have a long room with the audio/speakers on one end and the computer station on the other. This positioning will not change because of room layout (how we use the space). IF (IF) I decide to go with computer audio (which I am learning about) I would need 30' long speaker cables. I'm not a total purist, nor an audio neurotic, and so I don't think such long cables would ruin my listening at all-I think there are good cables for ~$200 or so that would be fine for me. Just wanted to hear any experience on dealing with this situation from others.
    I am going with Red Wine products at this point, and keeping it simple. A single amp-probably modded Teac when Vinnie can get to it, Hawthorne OB's (his drivers, I'll make the cabs), and now I'm thinking maybe computer audio instead of pre/cdp/dac.
    Any insights?
    Don

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2006, 04:17 am »
Personally, having speaker cables longer than 10' is a no-no situation in my book.  Having said that, I do run 25' - 30' cables from receiver to surround speakers in my HT setup.  For the music only system, I keep cables, not only speaker wires but interconnects as well, as short as possible.

I don't see how your going with computer audio would make your speaker cables that long, especially when "the audio/speakers on one end and the computer station on the other".  The beauty of wireless squeezebox is that you can access ripped music stored in your HD which connects to your computer from the audio end while the computer is located elsewhere.  Plus, the battery modded TEAC amp will give additional flexibilty when it isn't in recharged mode.

Oh well, I may well be missing something...

nodiak

etc.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2006, 04:43 am »
Hi Paul, it's me that is missing something. I'm not educated on the subject. I'll check up on the wireless squeezebox. Also after a talk with my son just getting an ipod may do it for me.
Gotta excuse me on this one folks, I asked before doing enough research.
Don

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: etc.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2006, 05:07 am »
Quote from: nodiak
Hi Paul, it's me that is missing something. I'm not educated on the subject. I'll check up on the wireless squeezebox. Also after a talk with my son just getting an ipod may do it for me.
Gotta excuse me on this one folks, I asked before doing enough research.
Don

Hi Don,

As Paul suggested, keeping your cable lengths as short as possible is aways a good thing.  If you decide that you must go with 30' runs, this WILL still work, and I recommend you go with at least 14 gauge wire.  In my experience, I rather go with longer speaker wires than longer interconnects, but going with the shortest cables possible is best!

Using an iPod with Apple Lossless files will sound surprisingly good connected to a modded Teac or a Clari-T.  The wireless Squeezebox is another way to go, but will require that you have your computer running.  

You can use either one in the stock form, and if you get hooked and want to take the performance to a higher level, I mod those babies:
http://www.redwineaudio.com/mods.html

Either unit modded will sound very good and will easily compete with dedicated CD transport + Dac combos that cost much, much more $$$

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions,

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2006, 06:10 am »
There's also nothing preventing you from just running an ethernet cable from your computer to the SB on the other end of the room. No need to go wireless (as that's more trouble than it's worth if you don't absolutely need to go wireless) or have long speaker cables.

nodiak

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2006, 06:13 am »
Thanks Vinnie, just read your ipod mod section. My son has a 4th gen. ipod I'll try it in my system. Might seek out my own, and go for an imod. I didn't get it at first but for my lifestyle I'm better off letting the computer be just a computer.
Help me out with one more thing. After the iMod can it still be used in a car cdp? Mine requires an ipod interface which I would get.  Don

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2006, 01:24 pm »
Quote from: nodiak
After the iMod can it still be used in a car cdp? Mine requires an ipod interface which I would get. Don

Hi Don,

I'm not sure.  If your car receiver has its own line-in jack, it will work.  Otherwise, it probably won't.  If you send me a link to the interface that you mentioned above, I will check it out.

Regards,