Voting closed: 23 Jan 2006, 11:20 pm

Who's using iPod/MP3 players with their system

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2006, 02:53 am »
Wow, didn't mean to stir up emotions here. As mentioned, I was only looking for opinions of whether or not suppling a front panel mounted input jack for iPod users was justifiable.

Not knowing much about this media, I did not know how many with quality audio systems would plug thier moble media sources into it from time to time.

The Circle has always been a great source for honest and open opinions. If an idea had no merits, members are very good about saying so in a corrective manner.

I would guess the technical side of this may be better left for another thread. I will admit I appreciate the fact that most who do not use this media were able to politely give their personal reasons why. That is the kind  of information I am seeking.

I will still install one of these input in one of my personal amps, maybe one of the ones at home so my son or my wife can connect to a decent system when they want to hear specific music that might be on the iPod. As far as sonic quality........... I will judge for myself.

maxwalrath

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jan 2006, 03:03 am »
I just got an ipod for the holidays, I'll probably get a $20 mini jack to RCA interconnect.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #22 on: 16 Jan 2006, 03:43 am »
I'll probably get a $20 mini jack to RCA interconnect.

Obviously, this is the way anyone with an iPod would connect to a system. I only figured having a mini jack on the front (or front side) would make for a more user friendly integration. I mean heck, they cost about a buck extra in parts and could tie it in with the sorce selector without sacrificing any of the inputs already on the units since they are are custom built anyway with source selectors that are capable of up to 6 inputs. Two spots on the selector go unused anyway? I think I just answered my own question :lol:  It sure couldn't hurt to try it out.

Now I just needto figure out which iPod to buy. My son is looking at a Nano? They run about $200...... Sound right?

maxwalrath

« Reply #23 on: 16 Jan 2006, 03:45 am »
Yup. For an extra $50 you get double the storage.

boead

« Reply #24 on: 16 Jan 2006, 04:46 am »
Quote from: Response Audio
Obviously, this is the way anyone with an iPod would connect to a system. I only figured having a mini jack on the front (or front side) would make for a more user friendly integration. I mean heck, they cost about a buck extra in parts and could tie it in with the sorce selector without sacrificing any of the inputs already on the units since they are are custom built anyway with source selectors that are capable of up to 6 inputs. Two spots on the selector go unused anyway? I think I just answered my own  ...

Yup and for just another $100 you get 30GB and Video!

$300 for a 30GB 5th Generation Video iPod, they are very cool.

The Nano is very thin, light but susceptible to scratching. I know a few whom have them and said they look like they have years of use on it after just a couple of months.

Is their anyway to increase voltage to the pre-stage? Something like a tube buffer? Something like this:  http://www.decware.com/newsite/zbox.htm that corrects impedance and can raise the output Vrms.

Maxwalrath, This ZuCable is really great. I’ve head it against a $20+ RatShack wire and its much better. The cheaper wires tend to be somewhat smeared in the midrange, have a loose bottom end and can be a little shrill on the top. The real cheap cables use steel wire or very thin copper. ZuCable sells direct on eBay all the time, I’ve bought cables and cords from them although I don’t use any anymore they are quality stuff and real nice to deal with, friendly bunch.
http://www.zucable.com/pivotmini/index.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zu-Cable-PIVOT-1-0m-mini-RCA-cable-NEW-iPod_W0QQitemZ5854381153QQcategoryZ14965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2006, 12:41 am »
Final decision
 I will pick up an iPod shortly and start experimenting. I realize the "audiophile" community will not be interested in this combination but I am located in an area with two large collages near by.
 I can only imagine how a setup containing a small tube amp (such as the Jolida 102B) with a nice pair of small bookshelf speakers would be a nice setup in a dorm or apartment room. Walk around the campus and you see more than half of the students with an iPod.
  A different market is all.
 Thanks for all the comments, it gives me a lot to consider. Even more than I expected.