Basic SB2/3 mods?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Basic SB2/3 mods?
« on: 11 Jan 2006, 06:10 am »
What are the "baseline" mods needed to the SB2/3?  I'm planning on getting one but I'm curious what I should have done at a minimum to make it "hifi" if you will.  

And should I try to get an SB2 or buy a new SB3?

Thanks!

Nick B

Basic SB2/3 mods?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2006, 07:25 am »
I have a new SB2 waiting for the full analog/digital mods. I decided on the SB2 because of some concerns about internal antennas on the SB3 as well as sufficient internal space for mods. The black SB2 looks quite good and I actually prefer it's looks  to the SB3 I saw at the show.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Basic SB2/3 mods?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2006, 07:42 am »
Is it hard to find the SB2 now that there's a newer SB3?  Sounds like from what I've heard the SB2 is more mod-friendly.

duff138

Basic SB2/3 mods?
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2006, 01:52 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Is it hard to find the SB2 now that there's a newer SB3?  Sounds like from what I've heard the SB2 is more mod-friendly.

still available:

http://www.slimdevices.com/

not sure how much longer though

Wayne1

Basic SB2/3 mods?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2006, 05:31 pm »
IMHO the SB2 can be made to sound better than the SB3 when using the analog connections.

There IS more room to "upgrade" the internal power supply capacitors and coupling capacitors.

If you are planning to use ONLY the digital ouput< there is not much difference between the two (after mods)

The main thing you should look for in a mod is the removal of the audio op amp and running the analog ouput direct from the DAC chip to a set of aftermarket connectors through a pair of very good film caps

Changing out the stock power supply for a linear power supply will also make very big improvements