Resting place for modded TacT gear

ekovalsky

« on: 9 Jan 2006, 05:23 am »
I now have a fully modded RCS 2.2X, one fully modded S2150 amp, and two other S2150 amps that will be swapped out for fully modded units in the near future.  I will probably also got a modded M2150 to replace the Crown K2 also.  

A review of the "Aberdeen Signature" TacT system is forthcoming.  For now, suffice it to say this gear has blown me away when used in an active multi-amp setup with TACS software.   :D

Expecting to keep this gear for a while, other than perhaps upgrading or exchanging for next generation products if/when they become available, I need to get a proper rack.  I've been using a Thomasville Hemingway sofa table to hold my gear for the past few years as my equipment has been in flux.  It's lower shelf cannot hold all my amps, so they are sitting on my floor.  Time to retire the old sofa table...

WAF must be very high which excludes most of the lower cost racks out there.  It cannot be too contemporary (like the high end German and Scandinavian lines) either.  

I've basically narrowed the choice down to two.  Thoughts about either are welcomed since I'm having a tough time making up my mind.  I definitely like the Rix Rax better, and it is a true audiophile design with isolation and ventilation in mind.  But the Ethan Allen is less than half the price and wife likes it better  :?  

Rix Rax Hoodoo -- two stacked 2150 amps on each of the bottom two shelves, RCS on the third shelf, transport up top.  Also an extra plinth shelf with spikes below the rack to hold power conditioner.  It is quite expensive but a fine piece of furniture, and bordering on art/sculpture to me.  Plus it is flexible enough to accomodate future system changes easily.  A cool turntable sure would look sweet up top, if I ever decide to venture into vinyl!

Ethan Allen "Entertainment Console" -- basically a glorified dining room buffet made entirely of wood.  Typical Ethan Allen quality -- good but not exceptional.  It has interior shelves for up to eight components inside, plus the whole top, with each compartment 20" wide and 23" deep.  Front doors open and retract into the unit.  Also there are concealed storage compartments on each side (with magnetic latch doors) for CDs.  No real thought or structure here for component isolation, but it will be about half the price (or less) of the Hoodoo.  Ventilation is pretty non-existant too, but the TacT gear doesn't generate much heat and should be fine with the doors open. Each piece of equipment would get its own shelf, and I would need to supply any cones or isolation / coupling accessories.

I've also looked into the Adona racks advertised on Audiogon, and the Ultrasonic line that Bingenito offers.  Both seem to be very high quality and good value, nice looking too.  But unfortunately neither will fit into our decor well enough to get approval from the wife.

No TV will be played atop either rack, rather I'm getting a drop-down screen and the new Sony 1080p SXRCD front projector.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2006, 05:35 am »
Hey Eric,
    Of those two pictured the Hoodoo looks to be a good pick...more in line with your speakers....and the whole system look. The EA... :? ...reminds me of the old all-in-one units of the 60's....open for tv, turntable, and radio....sorry.[/list:u]
      Like the new avatar... :beer: ...but I still miss the "little pill".[/list:u]
        Good luck.... :) [/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]

warnerwh

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2006, 05:38 am »
If you can afford it a custom built rack would be the best way to go. You can design it for present and future needs.  Of course it would fit into your decor as you could have your wife help you.

Fortunately I have my own listening room but it's the only one in the house that I'm free to do as I want. Being honest though Cheryl is much better at decorating than I am.  I'll bet your wife may even enjoy with helping to design the cosmetics with you.

ekovalsky

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2006, 05:54 am »
Quote from: warnerwh
If you can afford it a custom built rack would be the best way to go. You can design it for present and future needs.  Of course it would fit into your decor as you could have your wife help you.

Fortunately I have my own listening room but it's the only one in the house that I'm free to do as I want. Being honest though Cheryl is much better at decorating than I am.  I'll bet your wife may even enjoy with helping to design the cosmetics with you.

I can afford it, as long as my wife doesn't find out how much it costs!

She has given me more or less free reign to do what I want in the listening room, as that and my office are my two "spaces" in the house, but still she needs to like what I put in there.  She hasn't really objected to the Hoodoo, which can be interpreted as approval :lol:

warnerwh

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2006, 06:34 am »
Although the cost would be higher it may be the best compromise with a custom rack. The Ethan Allen has no ventilation.  Does your wife mind the looks of your components being out in the open? If not that may be half the reason she likes the enclosed cabinet.  Cheryl only tolerates the gear in our living room which is also our home theater room.  The speakers have nice flowers and other decorations on them. Not exactly what I'd do.

If it were upto me I'd choose the Rix Rax. My opinion is that the Ethan Allen looks like an old console tv/stereo from the 60's or a buffet as you said.  Plus acoustically it's bad especially if you plan on keeping your components in the center of your speakers.  It also doesn't look like it belongs in the same room as your equipment. This is just my opinion, ok.  She has to understand that you don't mix french provincial with colonial which is kind of what you'd be doing.  

She'll understand whatever you choose as long as you bring her home a nice piece of jewelry and some flowers the day before.

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2006, 01:03 pm »
With the EA rack, changing IC's, moving things around etc...would be a giant PITA.  

Make it an open archetecture, if just to make your life easier.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2006, 02:26 pm »
I totally agree about making an open system.  I have a rack that matches my Pioneer Elite RPTV, and it absolutely sucks to change anything.  Woe to me should I try to change interconnects for my amps, as I have to remove everything to do so.

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2006, 04:12 pm »
if you do decide to go the EA route, screw EA and get a nice piece by Thomasville or other NC furniture company.  When I was down in NC I saw a lot of similar products for HT & gear that was really nice and leagues better than EA crap.  Lots of them were built with some conveniences in mind for making hook up and access easier too.

ekovalsky

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2006, 03:31 pm »
Thanks everyone for their thoughts.  On my day off tomorow, I'm going to see a Hoodoo in person and perhaps order one.