Best PJs on the market?

Ears

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jan 2006, 05:36 am »
It sounds like you would like sticking with DLP 720P and need very low db's so the best deal is an Optoma h-78dc3....and yes it is better than the Pany/Sanyo lcd's with better contrast....and an overall punchier picture.
It is in fact an H-79 with 100 less lumens.
They are discontinuing this model because of near future cheaper 720p and more expensive 1080p pj's that are coming out.

You can get one of these for around your budget with a free 400.00 extra bulb and a two year warranty.

This is what I reccomend if your buying soon...if you wait...you will have many more to choose from.

I am keeping mine until 1080p dlp from Optoma h-81....which was the very best pj in vegas, comes down in street price to 5-6k from 10k which will be by the end of summer.

texas steve

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #21 on: 9 Jan 2006, 05:46 pm »
Quote from: Ears
It sounds like you would like sticking with DLP 720P and need very low db's so the best deal is an Optoma h-78dc3....and yes it is better than the Pany/Sanyo lcd's with better contrast....and an overall punchier picture.
It is in fact an H-79 with 100 less lumens.
They are discontinuing this model because of near future cheaper 720p and more expensive 1080p pj's that are coming out.

You can get one of these for around your budget with a free 400.00 extra bulb and a two year warranty.

This is what I  ...

I have the OPtoma H79 and have been VERY Pleased!  In fact I did have a problem recently (9 months old projector) contacted Optoma and got a brand new one, next day air!!

jermmd

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #22 on: 9 Jan 2006, 05:52 pm »
I have the Panny 900 and there is no vertical banding. I can see it clearly in the posted photo so I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the person with banding is unlucky.

jgubman

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #23 on: 9 Jan 2006, 05:55 pm »
Interesting, from reading the posts over on AVS, I got the impression that the banding was just inherent to the Panny (people even claim that pannasonic reps acknowledge the problem and don't consider it a defect). Maybe I'll have to go check one out in person.

ctviggen

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #24 on: 9 Jan 2006, 05:59 pm »
I've seen Joe's system and agree with Joe -- no banding that I noticed.  Perhaps this is a combination screen/LCD issue (although Projector Central does discuss banding for LCD displays: http://www.projectorcentral.com/ae900_plvz4.htm)?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #25 on: 9 Jan 2006, 06:01 pm »
I have seen/configured multiple Pannies and never seen the dreaded VB.  It isn't really that subtle, so its not like I miseed it...

This review on projectorcentral.com shows a comparison between the Sanyo Z4 and H79:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/plv-z4_h79.htm

But here is a little of the review:

Therefore, we may summarize the characteristics of each projector as follows: First, the Sanyo PLV-Z4 delivers a razor sharp, smooth, stable image that is comparatively low in noise. Color is rich and beautifully saturated. Black level is solid enough to produce an entirely satisfying image, but deep blacks, as in a starry black sky, are not as black as they are on the H79. Overall, the most noticeable shortcoming on the Z4 in comparison to the H79 is in the separation of shadow details in dark scenes.

The Optoma H79 produces excellent contrast and dynamic range, with very deep black levels, brilliant whites, and good detail separation in dark scenes. Color performance rivals that of the Z4, with the Z4 maintaining a subtle edge. The H79's most notable shortcomings relative to the Z4 are a comparative softness in the image, and more noise and dithering that tend to impart a slightly grainy texture to the image.

So--which projector would we buy? They are both great projectors, and both have their faults and limitations. Each will appeal to a certain type of user. Nevertheless, we can say this: the Sanyo PLV-Z4 really shines with bright films, animated films, and most HDTV. It outperforms the H79 with highly saturated, high contrast material like Shrek and Austin Powers, by rendering a sharper image with less digital graininess. The overall result is an image with a smooth, filmlike quality.

Try to see all the pj's listed here before deciding (if possible) as they are all good.

George

ctviggen

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #26 on: 9 Jan 2006, 06:02 pm »
Apparently you can test for banding:

"Vertical banding is an artifact that appears in some LCD projectors. When it is present, it is most apparent in smooth mid-tone scenes such as a gray sky. It appears as subtle vertical bands, typically about one inch thick, running through the entire image. One can test for its presence by using 50 IRE and 60 IRE mid-tone gray fields available on test/calibration discs."  (from projector central)

I know Avia has these screens, as I used them to set greyscale.  I'm not sure what other disks have them.

zybar

• Volunteer
Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #27 on: 9 Jan 2006, 06:03 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Apparently you can test for banding:

"Vertical banding is an artifact that appears in some LCD projectors. When it is present, it is most apparent in smooth mid-tone scenes such as a gray sky. It appears as subtle vertical bands, typically about one inch thick, running through the entire image. One can test for its presence by using 50 IRE and 60 IRE mid-tone gray fields available on test/calibration discs."  (from projector central)

I know Avia has these screens, as I used them to set greyscale.  I'm not sure what other disks have them.

I ran Avia and DVE on Joe's when setting it up and there is no banding.

George

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #28 on: 10 Jan 2006, 04:59 am »
Sadly I won't likely be able to try any of them out before I buy- I'll have to read all I can and hope for the best. :?

John151

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #29 on: 10 Jan 2006, 05:08 am »
I am a huge fan of the LCOS projectors.  My JVC SX21 throws a fantastic picture, that is much better than any LCD that I have seen, including the new AE900.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #30 on: 10 Jan 2006, 05:39 am »
Isn't that one pretty spendy?

John151

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #31 on: 10 Jan 2006, 05:44 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Isn't that one pretty spendy?

Yes, I paid over twice the price of the current LCDs, but that was several years ago, so it is hard to compare.  Still much less than a 3 chip DLP.

byteme

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #32 on: 10 Jan 2006, 05:52 am »
I don't know if this has been covered yet because I'm too lazy to read the whole thread :wink:, BUT, widescreen review recently did a DLP vs. LCD vs. Plasma (I know, not projecter) shootout and then afterwords did a LCOS comparison and concluded that LCOS is the first technology at a cost no object level to BEAT CRT video for quality.  DLP is hot like crazy now, however, it's not up to LCOS when it come to PQ.  Yes, the JVC projector is spendy, but if you're willing I could help...

My $.02.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #33 on: 10 Jan 2006, 06:00 am »
I love video, but priority-wise it's not that high to me.  No matter how good the PJ I probably wouldn't spend more than $3.  I'm looking to spend more like $2500 or less.  Yes, I realize I won't get SOTA for that but that's not what I'm looking for.  

Gotta save some money for chicks, guns & firetrucks! :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jan 2006, 11:08 pm »
Interesting.  Audioholics has named the Panny their Product of the Year for FPTV.  They have a very detailed reveiw if you click my link.

JoshK

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jan 2006, 11:33 pm »
Rob, I too am looking for PJ in that price range.  I am not looking to do it right this minute but pretty soon.  

What is a good example of an LCOS PJ?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jan 2006, 11:42 pm »
The Sony VPL-VW100 and the Hitachi Cp-sx5600 are the ones I'm most familiar with, plus one by JVC.  I don't know much about them, except that they're very very good but very expensive.  Liquid Crystal on Silicon is a great technology, but way out of my price range.

I'm not sure how soon I'll buy, but I'm leaning towards making the move from my SD/ED DLP to the Panasonic PT-AE900U.  I've always preferred DLP to LCD, but the price to performance ratio of the new LCD models is compelling.  My main desire is to get good 720p performance for gaming, football on Fox & the eventual release of BRD.  Unfortunately, the new DarkChip3 DLP PJs are out of my budget, too.

zybar

• Volunteer
Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #37 on: 14 Jan 2006, 12:22 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
The Sony VPL-VW100 and the Hitachi Cp-sx5600 are the ones I'm most familiar with, plus one by JVC.  I don't know much about them, except that they're very very good but very expensive.  Liquid Crystal on Silicon is a great technology, but way out of my price range.

I'm not sure how soon I'll buy, but I'm leaning towards making the move from my SD/ED DLP to the Panasonic PT-AE900U.  I've always preferred DLP to LCD, but the price to performance ratio of the new LCD models is compelling.  My main desire is ...

The DarkChip3 pj's are good but not worth the money for the small increase in performance.  

PJ's will be like computers for years to come and it really doesn't make sense to spend big bucks on a 720p pj right now unless you don't mind it being surpassed by pj's at 1/4 of the price within 18-24 months.

George

jermmd

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #38 on: 14 Jan 2006, 12:30 am »
Rob,

At your price point, right now, as has been said, the Sanyo or Panny are the way to go.

jgubman

Best PJs on the market?
« Reply #39 on: 14 Jan 2006, 12:34 am »
I still maintain, check out the Sony VPL-HS51, which is being blown out for the new model HS51A for prices that are equivilent to the Sanyo or Panny.