High Pass RCA Outputs

aggielaw

High Pass RCA Outputs
« on: 5 Jan 2006, 03:36 am »
I'm sure this has been covered before and I just missed it, but I'll ask.  Why do you guys at ACI recommend against using the high-pass filter RCA outs on your subs?  Wouldn't using the HPXO on the sub combined with the filters increase the slope, resulting in better integration with the mains?

I bought the 85Hz filters a couple weeks ago, and I like them, but the 6kB slope isn't causing the sharp cutoff I was hoping for.

I received the used Titan I bought tonight, and am setting it up.  I'm sure I'll spend most of the day Sunday on it (when not watching football) and enjoy, well, almost every minute of it. :)

Thanks for the input, guys!

Howard

aggielaw

High Pass RCA Outputs
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2006, 10:24 pm »
I guess I know why it isn't recommended now.  I tried running RCA cables from the high pass filter on the Titan through the 85Hz filters to the power amp, and I got barely-audible sound in what I'm guessing is the 20Hz area between the low pass settings and the 85Hz filters.

Mike Dzurko

High Pass RCA Outputs
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2006, 02:44 pm »
The high pass filters are very simple OP amp implementation and frankly are not nearly as transparent as the separate passive filters. They are a left-over from the days before most processors and rec had bass management. Future generations of the product will not have these outputs.