Plasma vs. LCD

Bob15

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #40 on: 7 Jan 2006, 12:37 am »
Quote from: zybar
Quote from: Bob15
Actually its not for me.  Somebody asked me as they know I like this hobby.  Anyway, they are going with the Sharp 45" LCD Acquos.  I was told the picture was "stunning" compared to the DLPs and Plasmas next to it -- "like you can put your hand right through the screen".  

Has anyone seen one and share that view?

Thanks, though this was educational!

I certainly wouldn't agree with that statement on the Sharp.

Professional reviews have been mixed as well.

George

I can't say one way or another since I never saw one or one directly compared to a Sony Plasma and Samsung DLP right next to it being fed the same hi-def signal loop.  Couldn't say whether one was tweaked or not over the other.  When you saw the Aquos,  what was it up against?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #41 on: 7 Jan 2006, 12:38 am »
Quote from: Tweaker
The Professional Series Panasonic plasmas are highly regarded. I just purchased the EDTV version and the picture is great. Keep in mind that from a viewing distance of 7 - 8' or more you cannot tell the difference between a HDTV or a EDTV. (The recommended viewing distance for a 42" HDTV is about 5.7'). You can save a bit of cash by buying an EDTV if you are going to be sitting further away. EDTV will look better with regular broadcast and DVD as well because they are closer to the tv's native resolution so ...

All correct and why in my current living room I use an EDTV Panny:

George

ctviggen

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #42 on: 7 Jan 2006, 12:42 am »
Good point about the viewing distance (same with size of screen, btw).  George, that room is markedly cleaner since I saw it last time!

JeffB

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #43 on: 7 Jan 2006, 12:52 am »
I am sorry for messing up the Sony LCOS thing.
I thought that SXRD was an improvement in Sony's LCD projection technology and not a change to LCOS.  I guess I was wrong.

When I was looking a year ago there was only one LCOS available, I think Phillips.  The screen had a horrible purple shade to it.  I don't know if this problem was specific to Phillips or not.  Then I heard that Intel was exiting the LCOS business.  I wondered if this was related to purple color shifting.
Is an issue with other LCOS sets.

Bob15

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #44 on: 8 Jan 2006, 12:37 pm »
I can't say one way or another since I never saw one or one directly compared to a Sony Plasma and Samsung DLP right next to it being fed the same hi-def signal loop.  Couldn't say whether one was tweaked or not over the other.  When you saw the Aquos,  what was it up against?

Zybar, not sure if you saw this earlier post, but was still wondering what you saw the Aquos up against.

Also, to everyone, I've become drawn into this whole question and I did read some negative comments on the Aquos that Zybar was referring to - basically it seems that it looks the best for Hi-Def sports programming but not so good for DVDs or movie channels as compared to the more "contrasty" plasma.  

Anyway, I spoke to a self-proclaimed videophile of sorts and his practical take was, "if ain't going on a wall, don't even consider Plasma or LCD" mostly because of the extra cost built in purposely for people wanting that look.   His vote was for the 1080p DLP sets from Samsung, Mitsubishi, Toshiba and HP, and preferably to wait for the newer DLP chip to be coming out in these sets.  However, the smallest size is around 50 icnhes right now.  He also pointed out though that these sets do not accept 1080p and display it as native --- it only receives up to 1080i sources and upscales it.

zybar

• Volunteer
Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #45 on: 8 Jan 2006, 02:37 pm »
Oh boy...

It was against Samsung DLP, Pioneer HD Plasma and Panny HD and EDTV Plasma.  I don't remember exactl model numbers.  I do know that the Samsung and the Panny HDTV were significantly cheaper than the Sharp, while Pioneer and Panny HD plasma were roughly the same, but for a 50" pic.

Basically the blacks were poor and as you pointed out the contrast ratio wasn't very good for something costing in the mid $4k's.  UNless it was a very colorful scene, the picture seemed slightly washed out to me.  Colors though were vibrant and did pop.

Also, I seem to recall that the viewing angle on the Sharp wasn't as good as the plasma tv's.  

George

zybar

• Volunteer
Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #46 on: 8 Jan 2006, 02:41 pm »
Anyway, I spoke to a self-proclaimed videophile of sorts and his practical take was, "if ain't going on a wall, don't even consider Plasma or LCD" mostly because of the extra cost built in purposely for people wanting that look. His vote was for the 1080p DLP sets from Samsung, Mitsubishi, Toshiba and HP, and preferably to wait for the newer DLP chip to be coming out in these sets. However, the smallest size is around 50 icnhes right now. He also pointed out though that these sets do not accept 1080p and display it as native --- it only receives up to 1080i sources and upscales it.

Good solid advice.

The sets that will come out mid-year and beyond will accept a true 1080p signal.  Now if we just had true 1080p sources...

The other big factor (which I believe was mentioned earlier) is viewing distance.  Depending on how far you are and the size of the screen, you honestly won't be able to tell the difference between a very good EDTV and HD.  Basically the farther away you sit, the harder it will be to tell the difference.  Since the cost between an EDTV and HD unit are still quite high (more than double), this should be a large factor in your purchase.

George

TomS

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #47 on: 8 Jan 2006, 02:53 pm »
Last month I had the choice down to the Panny 50" plasma, Sony SXRD 60", and the new JVC D-ILA 1080p 60".  I went with the JVC and couldn't be happier with it.  Great viewing angle, no noticable screen door effect or color wheel artifacts (like on DLP).  In the end it was the Sony SXRD vs. JVC.  I think the Sony (unadjusted) had a slightly more filmlike picture but I just couldn't live with the extra 10" or so of width due to the ridiculous elephant ear speakers on the sides.  The JVC has a terrific picture, great blacks for movies, and isn't affected much at all when there is a lot of ambient light.  Viewing distance is about 10-12' in our room, for which the 60" is still almost too big.  They also have a 55" which might be just right.

Bemopti123

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #48 on: 8 Jan 2006, 04:06 pm »
I think this debate between Plasma and LCD will be over soon enough.  Check the following link about a new technology with production expect for the end of this year.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/679/679235p1.html

zybar

• Volunteer
Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #49 on: 8 Jan 2006, 04:13 pm »
Quote from: Bemopti123
I think this debate between Plasma and LCD will be over soon enough.  Check the following link about a new technology with production expect for the end of this year.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/679/679235p1.html

Not that soon...

A - these things rarely come out on time.

B - once out, it takes time for people to move to them.

Realistically, you are looking at probably 1-2 yrs minimum.

But it certainly does look cool.

George

rosconey

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #50 on: 8 Jan 2006, 04:18 pm »
that looks good to me-in a few years when the price comes down i might move my 30''w/s crt-hd into the bedroom and get one of those-

surprised they didnt mention any other companies that will be building with that new system-you would think toshiba would sell the tech to get some r&d money back

nature boy

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #51 on: 8 Jan 2006, 05:14 pm »
The timeframe for introduction of Toshiba's new SED technology should coincide nicely with probable replacement of my Toshiba 36" Cinema Series CRT :D,   I'm a happy camper.

NB

Bemopti123

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #52 on: 8 Jan 2006, 05:17 pm »
What is surprising about Toshiba, is that their FST were technologically very innovative in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but they somehow fell on the sidelines.  When Sony, Samsung and Panasonic were doing their foray into LCD and Plasma technologies, they were still mute.

But, I guess they still have a leading edge in display technology, if not being capable of competing directly in the already established technology, be darn, but why not just frog leap ahead?

I think Toshiba will license this technology to some stategic partners down the road for a LOT of money.

Even it if is not this Fall, it is inevitable.  Toshiba sets, if what was stated becomes marketed to the mass markets, then, can you imagine what the average joe will think once he sees the Toshiba set next to regular Sony or Samsung?  It will be a no contest.  

I have been toying with the idea of LCD or FSTV, but now, I think I will rather wait and see what Toshiba can do.

PS:  After all what can't a company that develop computer chips, laptops and nuclear propulsion technology for subs do to out do others?

PhilNYC

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #53 on: 12 Jan 2006, 08:59 pm »
Btw - here's an article I found on Plasma vs. LCD:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

JeffB

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #54 on: 12 Jan 2006, 10:07 pm »
Wow, the SED technology is really cool.  I had read about this a while ago, but I figured time to market would be more like 10 years.  Next year is great.  This article also confirmed what I read before in that the cost to manfucture these is less than Plasma and LCD.  Of course, they will charge whatever the market can bear.

JohnnyLightOn

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #55 on: 13 Jan 2006, 01:52 am »
The bad news about SED is (1) Toshiba is spending well over a billion dollars on a new plasma display manufacturing plant, which indicates that they feel it will be some time before SED takes the market away from plasma, and (2) their reps have said the initial prices for the 55" SED models will be in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" range.

Bemopti123

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #56 on: 13 Jan 2006, 02:09 am »
Johnny, it is possible that Toshiba has decided to build the Plasma plant in order to fill the bottom part of their TV lineup...We need to remember that Cathode Ray Tube is practically dead and something will need to take its place, it maybe Plasma or LCD, so what Toshiba is doing might not necessarily tell much about their plans.  

The SED technology for sure will be expensive when debuting, but with the added pressure from others, who will not wait in the sidelines to become casualties in the display technology wars, Toshiba will opt to make the SED technology more affordable FAST in order to lock into TV customers who might have head to other manufacturers for their needs.  

Guess if they invest so much in research for a new technology they have two option, either to sell few expensively or sell tons, and get market share.

In any term, some of us will just need to wait to get the best.  Gosh, 55" is huge and I am still stuck with a 19" tubed TV!

Bob15

Plasma vs. LCD
« Reply #57 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:34 am »
Well, just to close the loop on this, the dude bailed on the Sharp Acquos (as I reported earlier) and then also bailed on the DLP rear projection. Instead he went with the new Fujitsu 42" Plasma as he got truly an incredible deal from the dealer that he couldn't pass up.  Thanks for an informative thread!