How many of you have DVD Recorders?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« on: 4 Jan 2006, 12:18 am »
A DVD Recorder is not a PVR (see JoshKs topic). It is basically a VCR for DVDs instead of VHS tapes.

I decided to get an entry level recorder - Sony RDR-GX315. ~$280-300 at BB
I got it because:

1. Not as expensive as other recorders that have Hard Drives incorporated.
2. Sony - goes with my other sony video gear
3. Very good at burning Digital Video camera tapes to DVDs using FIREWIRE, simply and quickly so others can get a DVD of what was filmed. (Also allows burning VHS tapes through a Sony Digital Camcorder using video passthrough.) The DVD can of course be edited on PC later if needed.
4. Can record shows from cable as simply as a VCR

The deciding factor for me was #3 - I have too many tapes I want on DVD and I don't want to monkey with PC editing software for every one.

Theoretically it will be good for recording sports and some movies as well. You must use DVD-R only, I believe, to record copy protected cable content.

I was considering the Cyberhome cheap models, but they were very inconsistently reviewed.

Anyone have this one or anything comperable. What is your experience?

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2006, 12:32 am »
Wow I am a little surprised but not shocked. This is a market area that is confusing and with a very uncertain future. Most do not understand HD, but know it is the future (for how long...)

Several on AC have Tivo type devices - record to a hard disk, watch it when you want.

But then you are limited as to how much, and what do you do when you want to keep a show permanently?

On some Tivo system you can burn a DVD (Humax) or even transfer the show to a PC to then burn a DVD.

Still you have to pay a hefty fee every month for that privilege.

As I said above I really wanted to bring my camcorder tapes to DVD simply and effectively, and also record shows to DVD easily. Then if I want I can edit further.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2006, 09:40 pm »
I bought my wife a Panasonic DVR, can't remember which one but it was about $400.  It has a 120G hard drive.  It also has a 'TV Guide' menu where you let the unit program itself based on your cable box and then lets you use it to change channels and such.  

The PQ is good but not any better than the $80 Panny 5-disc I have.  (in fact, I prefer the cheaper one for music)  Anyway, the menu system killed it for me.  When you turn the power off, it instantly goes to update mode and turns my cable box to channel 45 and then downloads content info.  So, you MUST use the DVR to change channels, etc.  You can't turn it off, ever.  It's always on in some annoying way.

It doesn't do component input, just output.  So, if you want a good signal from your cable box, an s-video cable is the best you can do.  It doesn't do HD.  It does provide for a rat's nest of cables, confusing interface, hard to use menu's, and so on....

I'm so happy with it, it's been unplugged in another room for several months.  (I bought it for my wife for Christmas last year.)  

We no longer have a cable box and it may be a little easier to deal with now but no thanks.  My wife wouldn't let me sell it for 'sentimental' reasons so I still have it... and it'll likely sit where it is forever, unplugged.  Between the useability issues and wife reluctance, it's the most annoying electronic product I've ever encountered. ;)

-C

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2006, 10:21 pm »
I don't have one. Am not planning on buying one soon...

biz

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2006, 10:28 pm »
my mom and stepdad just bougt a cheap one,they still live with a vcr-she tapes stuff and wont watch if for a year or so-
i bought them a combo sony dvd vcr and they wont use it because its not the same brand as the tv and heavens forbid you have to learn to program the remote :lol: to work bolth-

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2006, 01:53 am »
Quote from: Carlman
I bought my wife a Panasonic DVR, can't remember which one but it was about $400.  It has a 120G hard drive.  It also has a 'TV Guide' menu where you let the unit program itself based on your cable box and then lets you use it to change channels and such.  

The PQ is good but not any better than the $80 Panny 5-disc I have.  (in fact, I prefer the cheaper one for music)  Anyway, the menu system killed it for me.  When you turn the power off, it instantly goes to update mode and turns my cable box to chan ...

I bought the Sony because it did not have the TV guide menu to get in the way. I forgot that that had inititally attracted me to it.

Yours is more like a Tivo type without the monthly fee. Guess that idea has not taken off.

These things record at a higher resolution than VCRs (720x480 if you want) , and could give great PQ, but it all depends on the cable or satellite signal quality. If I record in HQ, I can at least live with the PQ on playback.

Really, how many of us futzed with a VCR after the thrill wore off...thats all this is, except it can take firewire in from camcorders.

Carlman

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2006, 02:15 am »
Oh cool, one more feature I don't have.. firewire.   :roll:

My wife read the manual and successfully used the Panny DVR.  However, figuring out which PQ setting to use was difficult.  We didn't have issues with image quality, other than fighting with the box to get it to record.  

It would take me 10 paragraphs to describe the nightmare of using that stupid DVR.

At least with a VCR, I could pick between 2 settings, low or high quality.  With the DVR, I think there are 4 and they make no sense... Like PX, LE, and the like.  I can't change my mind or make a mistake on any setting using the DVR I have... Or I have to start over in the whole setup.... Oh, you've started recording... too bad, you'll have to lose it to start over... Want to join together 2 different recordings?  Maybe.. but you'll need a few hours of button-pushing and a learning curve.  It's insane.  Can you tell I love it?  :lol:

-C

PS My wife still uses the VCR, it's just easier.  We futz about with it whenever we want to record a show when we're not going to be home.  It's easy, just set a timer, tune it to the channel you want. done.

rbrb

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2006, 12:22 am »
I have been using a Sony's first DVD recorder the RDR-GX7 since they were first introduced.  I am extremely happy with it's performance and ease of use.  I have a large number of concert VHS tapes that will never be released on DVD that I have archived to DVD.  I just wish I would have been able to get a devise like this sooner before my VHS tapes started to deteriate.

Firewire input and the capability to record from my cable box are bonuses.

JeffB

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2006, 12:33 am »
I just saw a Dual Layer DVD burner at Frys for $40 that would be installed in your computer.  It is interesting that a TV centric unit sells for $300.  On the hand, you are basically buying a computer when you buy the TV centric version.  Ultimately, I would like a normal computer to schedule what to record and to choose hard drive or DVD burner.  It could also be a music server.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2006, 02:58 am »
How long does it take to create a basic DVD from a Mini DV tape using a  PC? Hours

On a DVD Recorder it is simply a real time recording.

hmen

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2006, 04:32 am »
I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive. The HD holds about 18 hours at the highest density (90 hours at low density). If I want to keep something I write it to a DVD, otherwise I just record over it. It's really easy to use. I saw it advertised at Best Buy for $349.

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jan 2006, 04:36 am »
No DVD recorder here. Never saw a need for one. No VCR or DVR either.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2006, 02:30 am »
Now that DVD+R DL disks are 15/$30 I bought some and now I can record 1 hour 50 minutes of HQ video on my DVR. Much better than 1 hour.

Wish it was more, but I guess I can live with a little less quality if I have to for some things.

Anyone else recorded on these?

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2006, 05:29 am »
Quote from: jqp
Now that DVD+R DL disks are 15/$30 I bought some and now I can record 1 hour 50 minutes of HQ video on my DVR. Much better than 1 hour.

Wish it was more, but I guess I can live with a little less quality if I have to for some things.

Anyone else recorded on these?

I got myself a Pioneer DVR-110D for my 'puter a week or so ago (thought I needed a new optical drive and felt a DVD drive would be best, turns out I didn't need a new optical drive... :roll: ).

I believe it burns dual layer DVD's. But honestly I don't know as it was an OEM drive. I don't much care either as I doubt I'll really ever use it to burn DVD's. Probably won't use it to watch DVD's either...