How 'bout great quality recordings?

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2003, 11:52 am »
Yes, I have all the discs I've mentioned and stick to my opinions of them.
"Grace" and "Little Earthquakes" are better than the others.

Tori's first album "Y Kant Tori Read" is so different from everything that came after that I think "Little Earthquakes" can be considered her first disc, even though technically it's not.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/4370/yktrfaq.html

Several Jeff Buckley tracks are available at
http://www.jeffbuckley.com/
you have to go through Peyote theater to media player, select "Buckley",
drag album of your choice to get the actual songs. There's a complete video of "Everybody here wants you."

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2003, 10:06 pm »
first off I will say that I too am a big Jeff Buckley fan....

I think one of my all time favorite recordings is The Bends by Radiohead.  Not the best processed recordings, but the material is top notch.  What really matters most?

azryan

« Reply #22 on: 11 May 2003, 01:36 am »
WTF!?

This harmless little 'fun' thread's gotten totally screwed up IMO.

"-I think one of my all time favorite recordings is The Bends by Radiohead. Not the best processed recordings, but the material is top notch. What really matters most?"

Well the poster was talking 'reference quality recordings' not 'favorite recordings' so that's what matters most, so why mention something that you say isn't recorded that well? (BTW... I'm a Radiohead too so I'm not slamming your taste).

'Little Earthquakes' is NOT a top notch recording like most of the others people have mentioned. Amazing cd though.  

At least some great artists have been mentioned that others might like to hear about, but damn, why do such straight forward threads like this have to get screwed up and sidetracked like this?

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2003, 06:13 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Actually, it's "Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk." As I remember, these weren't actually quite ready for the public, but Buckley's death and demand for more material promptd their availability.
BTW, Jeff Buckley was the son of Tim Buckley (from 60's and 70's) with a similar high-pitched, other-worldy voice. Some of Tim's work now sounds dated, but his voice could be quite incredible.

Saw the following on Rhino Handmade's site that reminded me of Jeff Buckley's works in progress being issued--

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/browse/ProductLink.lasso?Number=7705

drphoto

« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2003, 03:07 pm »
I'll add a second vote for Lyle Lovett having great recordings. His sound at live shows is probably the best I've heard too.

No one mentioned "Jazz at the Pawnshop". I always thought that was a pretty good recording. (and some damn fun, swinging music too)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 25 May 2003, 05:23 pm »
Beethoven Violin Concerto performed by Hilary Hahn, conducted by David Zinman - perhaps the best recorded classical CD I own.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2003, 05:32 pm »
Quote from: drphoto
I'll add a second vote for Lyle Lovett having great recordings. His sound at live shows is probably the best I've heard too.

No one mentioned "Jazz at the Pawnshop". I always thought that was a pretty good recording. (and some damn fun, swinging music too)

Hey Doc,
which format do you have for JATP???  I have the redbook CD, but the SACD features some tracks from the gig that aren't on CD.. It's also on LP, but I'm not sure what's on the 2 disc set.

Pirate

« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2003, 04:01 pm »
Diana Krall -LIVE IN PARIS

I'm in the process of upgrading my system (Waiting for my Stratos Extreme) but this CD sound great right now. Probably the best of my meger collection. The closest to thing to having a performance live in the room with me. My system  now is Nad 370 intigrated, Ah 4000 CD , and Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 monitors. :)

Ears

« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2003, 05:29 am »
I agree with the Dire Straits Love over gold suggestion but also think that the Brothers in arms and On every street remasters should be mentioned.

Here are a couple more...

Joe Satriani  Surfing with the alien
Steve Earle  Copperhead road

Ears

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2003, 05:55 am »
Another quality recording that most don't know of is Lynryd Skynryd's 1994 release Endangered Species.
This is mostly old classics and an Elvis cover played acoustically...kind of like un-plugged...only without the audience.
You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between Ronny Van Zant and his brother on vocals and this is by far there best release since the plane crash, not to mention the best recording qualty of any Skynryd release.